Which skating star has the best personality off the ice? | Golden Skate

Which skating star has the best personality off the ice?

IceSkatingGeek

Spectator
It is something to think about. Next to success on the ice, who do you think has the best personality, and what I mean is, who is the best person for little kids to look up to and stuff?? Some might think of Michelle kwan, which is almost a given, but what about Kimmie? she seems too be the type that doesn't find expression in words but rather in doing..if that made sense. and then there is Emily, who seems to be very cheerful and seems nice..but ive never really thought of her as much of a competitor, like she doesn't have the seriousness, but she seems to try! I really Caroline Zhang too, judging from interviews and her myspace page.:)..i think she has alot of spunk, but on the ice she turns into more of a woman beyond her years...

These are just some examples, let me hear who you think is better or worse!

flying camel

Medalist
Pondering Choreography

Sorry about this. I was starting a new thread.

But I was have to say from an american perspective that most of the ameican girls come accross as very personable and someone that others would look up to. I can't think of any that I really dislike. Even if there is something I hate about their skating they all come accross very nice on TV.

Last edited:

morninglight

On the Ice
Among American ladies, I really like Kimmie a lot. She looks very fresh, happy and positive. She would be a great role model for younger kids. Her Cool Kids Project is fantastic. She also says in an article about Cool Kids campaign that what she finds great about being successful in FS is that she could help others. That's really a great attitude. I totally respect that.

I also like Mirai. She looks very positive, fresh, and happy. She also seems to have great humility and modesty. Her name means “future” in Japanese and, indeed, what she says in interviews tends to be very constructive. I am sure that a lot of younger kids would look up to her.

Among Japanese ladies, I like Mao very much. She seems to be an exceptionally innocent, happy girl. It is always nice to see her smiles. She seems very positive, bright, and simple. She has great popularity among all age groups. Little kids love her and her dog (a stuffed animal of her dog, Aero, is on sales); girls and boys admire her challenging spirits; and adults like her freshness and determination.

Miki seems to be a sweet and strong woman. I really liked her charity activity during the Olympic season. She started out selling “twinkle bands” to promote a belief that everyone can shine. She donated all the money to the UNICEF. What I also think nice about her is that she now behaves like an adult who has professional responsibility.

Shizuka seems to be an extremely mature, independent woman for her age. She seems to be very calm, thoughtful, and modest. A lot of people praised her for her great humility when she won the OGM. Although there are a lot of “princesses” in FS who don’t really have the common sense, I think that Shizuka can work perfectly fine as a business woman in the general society. But she seems to set really a high standard to herself, which perhaps led her to the great success.

Sorry for being so lenthy. I would like to post about male skaters later, too, but I will stop here for now.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Mari seems like a very determined and dedicated sweet little girl...

I was also very impressed with how innocent and unassuming Mao was considering her celiberity status in japan. dosen't seem like it went to her head to much. Miki seems like a very sweet young lady.. of course Michelle was always very classy.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Tough call, since maybe only a handful of us know even some of these skaters personally.

But I'll go by public persona. Yes, Kimmie is a skater that comes across as a nice, down to earth kid...quite bubbly, just like your average 17 yr old girl. Emily- I used to think she was really nice- she seems to be but lately I have gotten some of that "princess" attitude from her. It may be completely superficial but I just get that from her. Same with Katy Taylor- but she comes across as even more of a princess IMO. Out of the current US skaters competing I say the title goes to Meissner.

As for international skaters, I haven't seen enough of them, but the Japanese girls seem pretty humble to me. When we do see them on ESPN struggling for words, I can tell that the victory is not going to their heads. (Either that or they are just putting on their best show since it's a foreign TV interview.)

Which skating star has a personality?

Ah!! :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
hey...it's a PERSONALITY! That's the key here, right? Not CHARISMA, if I have that right? ;)

Kypma

Final Flight
Does anyone have a link (youtube or anything else) of an interview of Mira Leung? It just occured to me that I have no clue as to her personnality, except for that statement after worlds, which does say a lot...

Kypma

Wren

Rinkside
Well there's not many who ca nbeat Johnny for personality!

But otherwise I'd say;
Stephane Lambiel is very well spoken and seems like a really nice, down to earth guy.
Irina Slutskaya just has a great bubbly happy aura about her which makes me always happy to see!
Patrice Lauzon seems like a sweetie too.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Irina Slutskaya just has a great bubbly happy aura about her which makes me always happy to see!

Only in America. Back in Russia her bitter, sore side comes out. Little does she know that there exist translators. :yes:

doubleaxel

Rinkside
Only in America. Back in Russia her bitter, sore side comes out. Little does she know that there exist translators. :yes:

Really? I've seen plenty of Russian interviews with her where she has the same hyper/ecstatic personality that makes you smile as you watch her expression. We must have seen different interviews. :yes:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
A "no brainer":

KURT BROWNINGOF COURSE!!!!!!!

My second choice is Jeff Buttle!!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Really? I've seen plenty of Russian interviews with her where she has the same hyper/ecstatic personality that makes you smile as you watch her expression. We must have seen different interviews. :yes:

I've seen PLENTY of articles out there that portray her as less than bubbly. Many of these articles were translated on FSU, esp. after the 2002 SLC games. Then the latest episode was a bit about Americans during the 2006 COI tour (this is where the "hamburger" joke originated).

Of the skaters that I have met personally, I really liked Ben Agosto and Aaron Parcham.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kurt's a great guy. :clap: :rofl: So is Ben (got to hug him at the Marshalls' event in April :biggrin:). May I add my Todd - a real sweetie to talk to :- shy, but very kind-hearted.

Some day I would :love: to meet Fumie and Midori, and have a chat with them.