Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Most Peaceful Country Is...

  1. #1
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,705

    Most Peaceful Country Is...

    Norway was voted the most peaceful country

    Canada came in at eighth

    US came in at ninety-sixth

    Iraq came in at the bottom of the list at one hundred and twenty first
    __________________

  2. #2
    In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle at last!!!
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post

    Iraq came in at the bottom of the list at one hundred and twenty first
    __________________
    YEAH. WHOSE FAULT'S THAT???

    (Usually I avoid politically-oriented posts on this board like the plague, but I just couldn't resist this time around.)

    Norway outranked Switzerland???

  3. #3
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    50

  4. #4
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,984
    Only 121 countries? Huh? There are at least 194 - members of the United Nations anyway.

  5. #5
    Forum translator Ptichka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,430
    The list is quite ludicrous (I saw it in the Economist). It makes the assumption that any county with big military budget is not "peaceful". Considering that big military is often exactly what keeps the country safe. I mean, sorry, but I have to laugh at any list that puts Cambodia above US.

    Seanibu, there is no information available on many countries, so they did not make it into the list - for example North Korea.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,243
    Well, countries with big military budgets are not peaceful countries, IMO.
    Having a big military it doesn't mean you are safe. If you arm, other countries will arm, because they will feel in danger and so on. Wars happens also because of this (First World War was preceded by a big arm production). Look at was is going on now. Rogue countries such as Iran and N.Korea don't feel safe and arm themselves. Japan is changing their constitution (based on peace), because they fear N.Korea. Russia doesn't feel safe and is arming herself. Or the examples of India and Pakistan. And so on and so forth... No, to be armed doesn't mean you are safe.
    Last edited by gio; 06-02-2007 at 06:05 PM.

  7. #7
    Forum translator Ptichka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,430
    Gio, but many of the countries at the top of the list can afford to NOT have big military forces for one reason only - US does it for them (and, to a much lesser extent, large European nations as as Britain and France). It's all good for them that they can spend their money elsewhere, but let's not pretend like this world would just be a dandy place if, say, US and Britain ditched their military spending. In fact, it would not be a nice place at all.

  8. #8
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,705
    Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today...

    Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace...

    You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

    Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world...

    You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will live as one


    - John Lennon


    Let's hope those words will come true someday and we don't have to rate which nation is the most peaceful.....

    "Peace" everyone!!!


  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka View Post
    Gio, but many of the countries at the top of the list can afford to NOT have big military forces for one reason only - US does it for them (and, to a much lesser extent, large European nations as as Britain and France). It's all good for them that they can spend their money elsewhere, but let's not pretend like this world would just be a dandy place if, say, US and Britain ditched their military spending. In fact, it would not be a nice place at all.
    I see your point Ptichka, but I'm against the fact that some countries wants to be the police of the World. If the big 5 countries drop their privileges in UN and if this organization worked better, there won't be any need of big military spending. There is a mechanism of collective security that had to be activated in 1945 and to this day still isn't (more than 60 years passed).

    Probably it's an utopia, but I hope, as Ladskater, in a better World one day.
    Imagine is a great song.
    Last edited by gio; 06-03-2007 at 04:45 AM.

  10. #10
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka View Post
    The list is quite ludicrous (I saw it in the Economist). It makes the assumption that any county with big military budget is not "peaceful". Considering that big military is often exactly what keeps the country safe. I mean, sorry, but I have to laugh at any list that puts Cambodia above US.
    The United States is at war. Cambodia is not.

    A big military budget may keep a country "safe," but it does not make that country "peaceful."

  11. #11
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    The United States is at war. Cambodia is not.

    A big military budget may keep a country "safe," but it does not make that country "peaceful."
    I agree with you Mathman. Besides I think this ranking of "Peaceful countires" was not necessarily about which country was involved in a war, but more about the social problems within.

    Canada for example still has pretty stiff gun control laws, however we have had our share of school shootings lately and people going out of control in our major cities - just like the US. That is probably why we are now ranked eighth on the list where as even ten years ago we would have been right up there with Norway. We have always been proud of our record as "peace keepers" as well in foreign countries, but that is slowly evaporating as well as we get more drawn into the military actions in war torn countries. Sad to think.

  12. #12
    Forum translator Ptichka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,430
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    I agree with you Mathman. Besides I think this ranking of "Peaceful countires" was not necessarily about which country was involved in a war, but more about the social problems within.
    Well... actually, in that case having Cambodia over US is especially ridiculous... Cambodia is one of the most corrupt countries in the world, had a coup d'etat only 10 years ago... I would challenge anyone to explain how that amounts to more social problems than the US has.

  13. #13
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka View Post
    Well... actually, in that case having Cambodia over US is especially ridiculous... Cambodia is one of the most corrupt countries in the world, had a coup d'etat only 10 years ago... I would challenge anyone to explain how that amounts to more social problems than the US has.
    Just because some countries are extremely open with the corruption of leading officials it doesn't make them more corrupt than countries like the US and Great Britain where the corruption of officials is just as rife but its just covered up so much more. I'd even argue that at least you know where you stand in the countries where corruption is up front.

    Ant

  14. #14
    Forum translator Ptichka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,430
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Just because some countries are extremely open with the corruption of leading officials it doesn't make them more corrupt than countries like the US and Great Britain where the corruption of officials is just as rife but its just covered up so much more. I'd even argue that at least you know where you stand in the countries where corruption is up front.
    Have you ever lived in a country with much corruption? Do you have any idea what it's like - to be expected to bribe everyone, from the bakery cashier to bring you out the better pastry to the traffic cop so he doesn't take your license away? I have. Believe me, after such an experience nobody would ever think of saying it's better than a country like US or UK.

  15. #15
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka View Post
    Have you ever lived in a country with much corruption? Do you have any idea what it's like - to be expected to bribe everyone, from the bakery cashier to bring you out the better pastry to the traffic cop so he doesn't take your license away? I have. Believe me, after such an experience nobody would ever think of saying it's better than a country like US or UK.
    Yes i have - i lived in Cameroon for about a year and a half where bribery of officials (and anyone really!) is par for the course in any day to day activity.

    I never sad that it was "better" than living in the US or GB i was merely making the point that corruption exists in all countries and that even the "civilised" "western" countries have pretty bad corruption right through their governments but they give the illusion of being whiter than white. We have on an annual basis some "cash for questions" scandal in government or "cash for titles/peerages" etc etc. Just becuase the bribery is for tens and hundreds of thousands (and more) for big governmental issues etc it doesn't make them less relevant to the day to day bribery for peanuts of people who struggle to feed themselves.

    Ant

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •