Norway was voted the most peaceful country

Canada came in at eighth

US came in at ninety-sixth

Iraq came in at the bottom of the list at one hundred and twenty first

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Iraq came in at the bottom of the list at one hundred and twenty first

YEAH. WHOSE FAULT'S THAT???

(Usually I avoid politically-oriented posts on this board like the plague, but I just couldn't resist this time around.)

Norway outranked Switzerland???

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Only 121 countries? Huh? There are at least 194 - members of the United Nations anyway.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
The list is quite ludicrous (I saw it in the Economist). It makes the assumption that any county with big military budget is not "peaceful". Considering that big military is often exactly what keeps the country safe. I mean, sorry, but I have to laugh at any list that puts Cambodia above US.

Seanibu, there is no information available on many countries, so they did not make it into the list - for example North Korea.

gio

Medalist
Well, countries with big military budgets are not peaceful countries, IMO.
Having a big military it doesn't mean you are safe. If you arm, other countries will arm, because they will feel in danger and so on. Wars happens also because of this (First World War was preceded by a big arm production). Look at was is going on now. Rogue countries such as Iran and N.Korea don't feel safe and arm themselves. Japan is changing their constitution (based on peace), because they fear N.Korea. Russia doesn't feel safe and is arming herself. Or the examples of India and Pakistan. And so on and so forth... No, to be armed doesn't mean you are safe.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Gio, but many of the countries at the top of the list can afford to NOT have big military forces for one reason only - US does it for them (and, to a much lesser extent, large European nations as as Britain and France). It's all good for them that they can spend their money elsewhere, but let's not pretend like this world would just be a dandy place if, say, US and Britain ditched their military spending. In fact, it would not be a nice place at all.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

- John Lennon

Let's hope those words will come true someday and we don't have to rate which nation is the most peaceful.....

"Peace" everyone!!!

:)

gio

Medalist
Gio, but many of the countries at the top of the list can afford to NOT have big military forces for one reason only - US does it for them (and, to a much lesser extent, large European nations as as Britain and France). It's all good for them that they can spend their money elsewhere, but let's not pretend like this world would just be a dandy place if, say, US and Britain ditched their military spending. In fact, it would not be a nice place at all.

I see your point Ptichka, but I'm against the fact that some countries wants to be the police of the World. If the big 5 countries drop their privileges in UN and if this organization worked better, there won't be any need of big military spending. There is a mechanism of collective security that had to be activated in 1945 and to this day still isn't (more than 60 years passed).

Probably it's an utopia, but I hope, as Ladskater, in a better World one day.
Imagine is a great song.

Last edited:
The list is quite ludicrous (I saw it in the Economist). It makes the assumption that any county with big military budget is not "peaceful". Considering that big military is often exactly what keeps the country safe. I mean, sorry, but I have to laugh at any list that puts Cambodia above US.
The United States is at war. Cambodia is not.

A big military budget may keep a country "safe," but it does not make that country "peaceful."

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The United States is at war. Cambodia is not.

A big military budget may keep a country "safe," but it does not make that country "peaceful."

I agree with you Mathman. Besides I think this ranking of "Peaceful countires" was not necessarily about which country was involved in a war, but more about the social problems within.

Canada for example still has pretty stiff gun control laws, however we have had our share of school shootings lately and people going out of control in our major cities - just like the US. That is probably why we are now ranked eighth on the list where as even ten years ago we would have been right up there with Norway. We have always been proud of our record as "peace keepers" as well in foreign countries, but that is slowly evaporating as well as we get more drawn into the military actions in war torn countries. Sad to think.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I agree with you Mathman. Besides I think this ranking of "Peaceful countires" was not necessarily about which country was involved in a war, but more about the social problems within.
Well... actually, in that case having Cambodia over US is especially ridiculous... Cambodia is one of the most corrupt countries in the world, had a coup d'etat only 10 years ago... I would challenge anyone to explain how that amounts to more social problems than the US has.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Well... actually, in that case having Cambodia over US is especially ridiculous... Cambodia is one of the most corrupt countries in the world, had a coup d'etat only 10 years ago... I would challenge anyone to explain how that amounts to more social problems than the US has.

Just because some countries are extremely open with the corruption of leading officials it doesn't make them more corrupt than countries like the US and Great Britain where the corruption of officials is just as rife but its just covered up so much more. I'd even argue that at least you know where you stand in the countries where corruption is up front.

Ant

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Just because some countries are extremely open with the corruption of leading officials it doesn't make them more corrupt than countries like the US and Great Britain where the corruption of officials is just as rife but its just covered up so much more. I'd even argue that at least you know where you stand in the countries where corruption is up front.
Have you ever lived in a country with much corruption? Do you have any idea what it's like - to be expected to bribe everyone, from the bakery cashier to bring you out the better pastry to the traffic cop so he doesn't take your license away? I have. Believe me, after such an experience nobody would ever think of saying it's better than a country like US or UK.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Have you ever lived in a country with much corruption? Do you have any idea what it's like - to be expected to bribe everyone, from the bakery cashier to bring you out the better pastry to the traffic cop so he doesn't take your license away? I have. Believe me, after such an experience nobody would ever think of saying it's better than a country like US or UK.

Yes i have - i lived in Cameroon for about a year and a half where bribery of officials (and anyone really!) is par for the course in any day to day activity.

I never sad that it was "better" than living in the US or GB i was merely making the point that corruption exists in all countries and that even the "civilised" "western" countries have pretty bad corruption right through their governments but they give the illusion of being whiter than white. We have on an annual basis some "cash for questions" scandal in government or "cash for titles/peerages" etc etc. Just becuase the bribery is for tens and hundreds of thousands (and more) for big governmental issues etc it doesn't make them less relevant to the day to day bribery for peanuts of people who struggle to feed themselves.

Ant

I guess I was construing the word "peace" more narrowly than the creators of this list were. I was thinking more along the lines of peace being the opposite of war.

I suppose a particular war might be thought necessary, or unavaoidable, or the lesser of evils, or even well-intentioned. But if you are at war you are not at peace.

Actually, I don't see what corruption or lack of it has to do with "peace." You can be peaceful but corrupt, just like you can be warlike but full of personal integrity.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Ladskater said that the list had to do with social problems. Countries with a lot of corruption just happen to have a lot of those.

I would say Iraq if it wasn't invaded by you know who wanted a war and got a humdinger, and also Tonga, Brunei, and a host of other royal nations like Swaziland, etc.

Joe