Rattling Cabinet Doors -- Any Advice? | Golden Skate

Rattling Cabinet Doors -- Any Advice?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I inherited from my grandmother six shelving units with sliding glass doors -- the glass doors aren't installed IN the units with rollers or anything, you just stick them in there and they run along these grooves in the wood.

The problem is, I have hardwood floors and every time I walk by them, the glass doors make this unnerving rattling noise that grates on my nerves. I've tried putting various things, coins, pieces of folded paper, etc, in the tracks and on the edge of the doors to perhaps "cushion" the doors so they'll JUST SHUT UP but nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to MAKE THIS STOP?? (I mean, aside from perhaps not trundling about like a rhino when walking in front of it, but I'm a rather big dude so that's a little hard..... :laugh::sheesh:)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Sounds like you have tried everything I would have. Did you try masking tape in 2 - 3 layers on every corner? ~ = 8 (2 per corner) per piece of glass. Lube the tracks too.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Try talcum powder, baby powder or after show powder.

Dee

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Try talcum powder, baby powder or after show powder.

Dee

???????????????????

I will indeed try this, as well as Sean's masking tape idea, but given the problem, powder of any kind seems like a rather odd solution to me.... :unsure:

I think I'd try insulating the bottoms of the cabinets. I wonder if those little felt pads they make for chair feet would work (maybe, if the cabinets have legs). Or a little rug of some type, even a remnant, just under the cabinets. I think that would absorb the vibrations of your footsteps.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
???????????????????

I will indeed try this, as well as Sean's masking tape idea, but given the problem, powder of any kind seems like a rather odd solution to me.... :unsure:
JonnyCoop, if it works let me know and I will tell you how I know. If it doesn't.......don't ever do it again. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dee

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I think I'd try insulating the bottoms of the cabinets. I wonder if those little felt pads they make for chair feet would work (maybe, if the cabinets have legs). Or a little rug of some type, even a remnant, just under the cabinets. I think that would absorb the vibrations of your footsteps.

I considered that, but I should have done that a LOT earlier, given that if I did it now I would have to haul ALL THE CRAP out of it, and the one on top of it, and all the stuff on top of that, and move the thing out, and pick it up and quite honestly I am just way too dang lazy for ALL THAT at the moment..... :laugh::laugh:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop, if it works let me know and I will tell you how I know. If it doesn't.......don't ever do it again. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dee

OK. Now I'm just FRIGHTENED.... :rofl:

I'll try it today; this is my LET'S GET STUFF CAUGHT UP DAY......:biggrin:

Jhar55

Medalist
Sound like the door runs have worn down due to the age. Could you take the doors off and put some kind of stripping in the runners to build them back up.
It would drive me bonkers also and my first thought was to take the doors off :rofl:
but then that wouldn't work either.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
:laugh:
Sound like the door runs have worn down due to the age. Could you take the doors off and put some kind of stripping in the runners to build them back up.
It would drive me bonkers also and my first thought was to take the doors off :rofl:
but then that wouldn't work either.

Well, I have 4 in use out of a total of 6; the doors are actually off 2 of them, the ones I use for my CDs and the other that my skating books are in (gotta have easy access to THOSE, :laugh:). The other one with the doors is on top of an old coffee table so is more insulated and doesn't rattle; I could conceivably leave the doors off the rattling one, but I always thought even when very very little (these things are older than I am) that it was just SO cool to have stuff behind glass like that..... :laugh:

Dee

Well, it's HELPING. It still rattles, but a softer rattle, at least. Tho I may have overdone it just a bit -- let's just say that I hope no cops have to come in this place for any reason anytime soon because the vice squad would be highly interested in what's going on over there at the moment.....:laugh:..... I have no doubt I used way too much, but then again I am one of these people who has to use one full cup of Windex and 17 paper towels just to clear a coffee splotch off the countertop.... :laugh: (And if I ever have to use bug spray, best not to even be in the same county with me for the next hour or two.....:laugh:
Will try Sean's masking tape idea tomorrow; not in the mood right now plus I would probably have to clean more baby powder off the floor after doing it...... :laugh:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
JonnyCoop, sorry, I forgot to tell you to be careful. I usually make a funnel out of paper and then pour the powder into the funnel. It helps with the cleanup. As time goes on, it will work into the cracks and then no more rattling. See, how easy that was and if you do get raided what do you want me to bring you while you are in jail??? :clap: :clap:

Dee

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
A TV, a DVD player, and my Worlds DVD's, because I'm still not even most of the way through them yet... :laugh:

See, I'm thinking if this kind of thing catches on, there will be a market for COLORED BABY POWDER to match whatever you're putting it on... :laugh: Tho I don't imagine most people would be prone to using half the bottle like I did.

So, Dee, how do you know this works?? :biggrin:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
So has it worked, answer and I will give you the answer. :clap: :clap:

Dee

Let me go in front of it and do a little bit of "Riverdance"....

brb....

OK. Still rattles if I go so far as RIVERDANCE, :laugh: but as far as walking back and forth in front of it, it's minimal and I think that's only because I'm actually listening for it.....

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why I thought it might help is because if you ever had a squeak in your shoe, all you have to do is but a little (understand that JonnyCoop, just a little :laugh: :laugh:) talcum, body, or baby powder in your shoe and it stops the squeak. You can also use it on floors where a board will cause a squeak. I didn't know for sure that it would work in your case but thought I would throw it out there. I love finding inexpensive ways to fix things, home remedies.

Riverdance, ok!!!

Dee

OK Dee, 'fess up: you're really Heloise! :bow:

Oh, boy! I'm bringing all my fix-it problems right here! :thumbsup:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Wish I'd known about that back when I actually did have a pair of squeaky work shoes, years ago during my banquet set-up days. I used to get flack for that all the time.... If it works on floorboards, too, I think I might break into my upstairs neighbor's and dump a whole case of the stuff on HIS floor..... :laugh: