Thread: Karl Schafer Memorial?

Extinction is Forever 4dogknight's Avatar

Karl Schafer Memorial?

Will there be a Karl Schafer Memorial competition this (2008) year?

I've looked and looked and found nothing. Is it too early or will there not be a competition this year?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

4dk

Custom Title
    This competition is currently not listed on the ISU's schedule for 2007-08 and someone at FSU recently posted that "reliable sources" have indicated that the Karl Schafer Memorial/Vienna Cup will reportedly not take place this year due to the Junior Grand Prix competition being held one month earlier in Vienna, Sept. 13-16, 2007. However, this cancellation has not yet "officially" been confirmed anywhere online that I know of.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Also, the ISU website can be more than a little behind and slow on the uptake on occasion; if the competition has not actually been cancelled, it might not show up on their site till around September, that certainly wouldn't be unusual. I'd just keep checking every couple weeks or so to see if any new info has popped up.

Extinction is Forever 4dogknight's Avatar
    Thsnks everyone!

4dk

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Doesn't the Karl Schaefer/Vietnamese Cup normally serve as the Olympic qualification competition? (for the nations who didn't qualify through worlds)

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Doesn't the Karl Schaefer/Vietnamese Cup normally serve as the Olympic qualification competition? (for the nations who didn't qualify through worlds)
    It has in the past, but not always. The ISU decides a season or two beforehand which one of the "minors" will serve as the Oly qualifying competition; it has been the Karl Schaefer in past Olympic seasons, but in some Olympic seasons it's been others, like the Golden Spin of Zagreb or the now-defunct Pirutten in Norway. I'm not sure what they use as the criteria for this sort of thing. Perhaps they just pick it out of the hat that $peedy is always talking through.....