New sasha journal!! | Golden Skate

New sasha journal!!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I had this funny feeling this morning i should check her website... i uaully do once every two weeks or so now that she isn't writing much anymore.

http://www.sashacohen.com/journal.shtml

she mentions that after her travels to spain that she will begin"training" and "making new programs". For what i wonder? I hope that she writes again soon.

Kypma

Final Flight
Hasn't she been saying she was just taking a year off and planning to compete again next season? Because if she wants to get to Worlds 2009 and the Vancouver Olympics, she had better get back into it this year, begining with Nationals I guess. With Kimmie, and the three World Junior medalists moving up to senior (at least Mirai and Ashley, and I'm pretty suer Caroline has the potential to move up) this coming season, Sasha needs to test her skills against theirs...

Kypma

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, I don't think she's talking that type of competitive programs. The ISU schedule is showing two USFS "invitational" events and I am sure Sasha is planning on taking part in those. She would need some new programs for those.

At this point, Sasha doesn't even have a coach!

Fossi

Final Flight
I wonder how Sasha would do against Caroline? If Sasha returns she might not even make the National podium next year. She better hurry and start training.

Kypma

Final Flight
No, I don't think she's talking that type of competitive programs. The ISU schedule is showing two USFS "invitational" events and I am sure Sasha is planning on taking part in those. She would need some new programs for those.

True... and I just remembered, doesn't she choreograph most of her show programs herself, or with her coach's help? I don'T recall her having exhibitions choreographed by the "big names", if I can call them like that.

Kypma

MKFSfan

Medalist
I don't know about that. Her ribbon program was choreographed by Ekaterina Gordeeva (and I think she helped with a second one, I forget which one), TT choreo'd Romeo and Juliet, My Fair Lady choreo'd by Robin Wagner, and for either GBA or DROMP she used...name escapes me, but he choreo'd a few programs for Michelle, my fave being Hands. :love:

But yes, the majority of her show programs were choreo'd by Sasha and Nicks. :clap:

Lucy25

Final Flight
Hasn't she been saying she was just taking a year off and planning to compete again next season? Because if she wants to get to Worlds 2009 and the Vancouver Olympics, she had better get back into it this year, begining with Nationals I guess. With Kimmie, and the three World Junior medalists moving up to senior (at least Mirai and Ashley, and I'm pretty suer Caroline has the potential to move up) this coming season, Sasha needs to test her skills against theirs...
Kypma
The last Sasha has said about competing is that she wants to come back for the 2008/2009 season. I assume any programs she is thinking about will be exhibitions.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sasha's journal

I believe Philip Mills choreographed Michelle's Hands program. He might have done some programs for Sasha, but I don't know which ones.

Maureen

What exactly would qualify Sasha to skate in the 2008 or 2009 Nationals?

Can she just submit an application giving past medals as her credentials or would she have to go to Regionals, Sectionals?

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
What exactly would qualify Sasha to skate in the 2008 or 2009 Nationals?

Can she just submit an application giving past medals as her credentials or would she have to go to Regionals, Sectionals?

Joe

I believe there is a rule in place that reigning Olympic Medalists get a bye straight through to nationals by-passing regionals and sectionals. Though someone (either Chuckm or Mafke) on here once corrected me saying that the USFSA would have to vote that rule back in to use it since it is no longer in the rule book...i think was what they said.

Ant

MKFSfan

Medalist
I thought the new rule was reigning OGM had a bye, and the OM was no longer included. But I could be wrong.

Philip Mills-yes, that's the one! He did some beautiful numbers for Michelle. Was it West Side Story he choreo'd? It was something recent, maybe it was GBA.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

who says that John Nicks is no longer working with sasha?

MKFSfan

Medalist
I think many are assuming that because Nicks was semi-retired before taking Sasha back. He wasn't traveling much, or taking on elite skaters. I have a feeling if Sasha comes back, she will be with someone new.

If everything is in order and she goes straight to the Nationals (not passing GO and not collecing 200 bucks), she will skate a very handsome routine in Los Angeles and hope an agent picks her up. Why not?

Maybe they will want to film "The Sonia Henie Story" starring Sasha as Sonia with Robert Duval as her father, and Michael Weiss as Michael Kirby and Johnny Weir as Tyrone Power. Hey, I'd go see that. :rock:

Joe

Lucy25

Final Flight
Maybe I am misremembering here, but didn't Sasha say that when she comes back for 2008-9 she will have to find a coach? I thought I read that in a journal or something. It would have last summer when questions about her future were asked to her.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I thought the new rule was reigning OGM had a bye, and the OM was no longer included. But I could be wrong.

Either way, does the medalist get a bye for life? I mean, I could see getting a bye for the next year, or maybe two if they take one season off, but beyond that just seems unfair.

Alsace

On the Ice
Either way, does the medalist get a bye for life? I mean, I could see getting a bye for the next year, or maybe two if they take one season off, but beyond that just seems unfair.

I think it is just for the four years after the Olympics, not for life. Besides, the other skaters are not forbidden to come so Sasha can skate. It just means there would be another skater on the roster. Those who place 1-4 at Sectionals still qualify for nationals.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I think it is just for the four years after the Olympics, not for life. Besides, the other skaters are not forbidden to come so Sasha can skate. It just means there would be another skater on the roster. Those who place 1-4 at Sectionals still qualify for nationals.

I know it isn't denying anyone else a spot, it just seems so, maybe unfair isn't the word, but its the best I can think of. The top five from Nats the year before proved them selves by placing high at Nats. Skaters who had GP events that conflicted with Sectionals get through but they are actually out there doing international comps so obviously they are at least in theory in competitive shape. But after being out of competition for two years, a skater may be skating anywhere near the level of the skaters that actually had to prove themselves to get to Nats.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
From USFS site last year (just to clear up any confusion:

The majority of skaters qualify for the U.S. Championships by placing in the top four at their regional and then again in the top four at their sectional. Skaters may also qualify by receiving a bye. A bye may be earned either by placing in the top five as a senior at the previous year’s U.S. Championships, medaling at the 2006 Olympic Winter Games, medaling at the 2006 World Championships or competing at an international competition that coincides with the sectional championship.

This is why Todd E. had to go through regionals and sectionals in 2001 season in preparation for his bid to go to SLC in 2002. He hadn't medaled in 98.

I have hard time believing Sasha, or any skater that medaled in the previous Olmypics, would show up completely out of competitive shape

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I never remeber reading anything one way or the other about sasha and mr. nicks. When they got back togther she said that he was her coach "through the 2006 olympics." which she probably though she would win and then retire. I doubt that sasha would skate competivly if she did not have mr. nicks there.