reality shows=misnomer | Golden Skate

reality shows=misnomer

N

nthuz

reality shows=misnomer

To call something like "Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire" or "The Bachelor" a 'reality' show is incorrect. A more appropriate category for them would be 'un-scripted'.

This has got to be the cheapest way to produce a show....no long term contracts with actors who have agents.

M

mathman444

Re: reality shows=misnomer

So true. Plus, I think that the producers of shows like Real World and Big Brother tell the people to start fights, just to give the audience something to look at. Plus on Survivor I think that the producers interfere by planting phony evidence (like a candy bar wrapper) or by cheating for one side or the other to keep it fair (like last week they gave the men's team a blunt machete that would cut the rope, so the ladies won.)

Mathman

H

heyang

Re: reality shows=misnomer

As stated, these shows are cheap to produce and America likes them - that's why there are so many out there - just as 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire?' was on 4 out of 7 nights a week at the height of its popularity.

The problem with these unscripted shows is that America's perception is very skewed by the editing. For example, last week's reveal showed that everyone had voted for Daniel. When Daniel appeared on the morning show, he explained that he found out the swing vote was going to vote for him (Dan) - he told his allies to vote for him to prevent Roger from targeting them later.

It would a shame if the producers gave the guys a dull machete - definitely not fair play. Didn't the ladies have the lead anyway - and don't forget that misleading editing, too. I read that it took 20 minutes for the guys to get across the balance beam during the 1st immunity challenge (= took that long for the ladies to complete the puzzle and cross the beam, too) - America didn't watch 20 minutes of that.