The Men's GP Assignments | Golden Skate

The Men's GP Assignments

Check out the Men's for an Advantage and Disadvantage in the GP spread at the ISU web site.

general comments: There is no Evgeni at CoR, but there is a TBA. hmm. Will Lambiel show up at his assignments, or will he find another excuse to miss them?

Skate America: Takahashi v. Lysacek should be the gold contest. Will Berntsson outshine Preaubert (bronze last year) here? Will Carriere make more than just a statement? And is Patrick Chan all he is cracked up to be? Will we see a strong Lutei in an eventual Plush replacement? Nice to see Zelenka not being overlooked.

Skate Canada: Is Joubert here to practice his French Canadian language? (They are somewhat different, I believe) He will be taking on Nobunari and Buttle for the podium with v.d. Perren knocking down the door. Is Abbott outclassed here? Throw in Lindemann, Ponsero and Mabee and we have a very good contest going on here.

Cup of China: With Lambiel, Lysacek and Weir should be a good contest.
And I feel it will be Chenjiang Li as his last chance to be on the A list.

Eric Bompbard: These boots are made for skating and Joubert will skate all over the competition. Nobari here to redeem himself. Verner to reemphasize he is competitive. v.d. Perren and Mabee looking for a bronze.

Cup of Russia: Buttle, TBA (you know who), Lambiel (if he shows up), Weir (his beloved Russia) will be battling it out. I predict TBA to win!
In need to make a statement: Ponsero, Berntsson, Uspenski.

NHK: Easy win for Takahashi. Verner demanding silver. Interesting contest between Abbott and Carrier. I think one can make the podium. Let's hope Griazev in his only venue will not embarass TT. Dobrin here to make up for last season. he is good.

On their way to the Finals??? : In no particular order: Takahashi, Joubert, Lambiel (if he skates the GPs), TBA (if he skates CoR). Not easy with the last two to make a decision on six, so I'm thinking Buttle, Lysacek and Weir in the mix keeping my eyes on Verner for the upset.

Joe

discoduck

On the Ice
Skate America men looks really good! I would love to see Takahashi win and Alban on the podium as well. Of course, I'm hoping that Sergei Dobrin will pull a TEB, land two quads and beat them all. :) :agree:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
First, is it even possible for a skater to make the final with only one event?

Second, should "TBA" be changed to "YKW"?

discoduck

On the Ice
I think that TBA on Cup Of Russia should be changed to PLTCB..please let Plushenko come back. ;) At least in Pissev's mind, it should say that.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Something just clicked -- what happened to Sandhu? Did he formally retire, or, is SC just fed up with him?

discoduck

On the Ice
I really don't think anyone knows at this point. I was wondering the same thing. I haven't heard or read anything about Eman retiring but you never know.

There was some talk about him retiring on another thread but nothing official.

Meanwhile, the Men look more interesting to me than the Ladies. Somehow if YKW skates and wins, there will be a way to get him to the Finals if and only if he wants to go. It won't be the first time. Kwan didn't go on her one win but she qualified.

Joe

jennylovskt

Medalist
Wow, Cup of China will be great this year. I am wondering if TV giants will make something special for this one since two top American men and two time World champion will be there, plus Caroline Zhang, and B&A.:love:

MissIzzy

Final Flight
The guys have their own thread. WOW.

Well, the ladies commandeered the initial announcement thread, or at least it seemed that way.
Anyone drops out and YNW might get a second event. Then making the finale won't a problem, provided he's back in shape.
Though if Lambiel did drop out of COC and YNW didn't replace him it'd be an American Battle Royale on the other side of the world.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
First, is it even possible for a skater to make the final with only one event?
Yes, but it's much harder than under the old points system and since the new groupings in the seeds, which guarantee at least four top 12 skaters/teams in each event.

The points chart (since last year) is:

1st-15
2nd-13
3rd-11
4th-9
5th-7
6th-5
7th-4
8th-3

If at least six skaters/teams earn at least a 4th and a 5th in their two events and show up in Torino for GPF, then a single victory cannot make the final. It would take a number of drop-outs after one event plus a real mix of upsets -- very possible at Worlds, but not probable in an 8-12 competitor field -- in my opinion, for 15 points to make GPF.

VGL

Rinkside
There was a post on FSU that Michael Slipchuk sent Emanuel packing from the Skate Canada AGM due to not meeting obligations.

Ximena

Final Flight
If YKW wins CoR and makes it to the final then it should be a record because it would be the third time that only with CoR makes it. But if he makes it, I do think he'll try the GPF since it's in Torino.
By the way, I didn't know they changed the number of points
And as far as I understand it, even if Lambiel withdraws from CoC (why are we all jinxing the poor guy?? He'll make it this time), YKW wouldn't be able to replace him.

Ximena

Final Flight
Skate America: Will we see a strong Lutei in an eventual Plush replacement?
I'm actually wondering if we will see Mishin at SA, I mean to leave Plush for a week? I can't see that happening, unless Mishin takes him with him to the U.S.
My friend is going to freak when she finds out Dobrin will go against Evan.

Cup of China: With Lambiel, Lysacek and Weir should be a good contest.
I know it's a random draw, but I know as well that the feds tries to accomadate their skaters the best way the can, so I don't understand why would they make Johnny and Evan compete against each other.

Cup of Russia: Buttle, TBA (you know who), Lambiel (if he shows up), Weir (his beloved Russia) will be battling it out. I predict TBA to win!
TBA A.K.A YKW owns this event!! :rock:

NHK: Easy win for Takahashi. Verner demanding silver. Let's hope Griazev in his only venue will not embarass TT. Dobrin here to make up for last season. he is good.
It has to be easy for Takahashi, but I'm sure japanese fans are more excited that Tomas is paying them a visiti. Is Griazev still with TT? I thought TT was no longer training anyone. And Dobrin IS good, he just need to realize that is his quad sal doesn't work, he still have 8 triples to do!!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Sorry but why one earth are people predicting Lambiel to pull out of the GP. If Plushenko does not go to Cup of Russia he has an easy win at both of his events if he even skates decently. He would have to have a mini meltdown to lose to any of Lysacek, Weir, or Buttle at this point.

waxel

Final Flight
I'm looking forward to seeing some new blood. There seems to be some up-and-coming/developing new talent in Canada, Russia and elsewhere (for instance, Jeremy Abbott in the US some would say). Alas, some of the under-performing names of recent years have just become stale: van der Perren, Li, Lindemann, Smith. I actually quite admire some of these skaters (vdP particularly) ... but don't think they're realistically competitive.

Of course, until we know what the GP TV schedules will be, it remains questionable how much of any of them we'll actually "see."

Sorry but why one earth are people predicting Lambiel to pull out of the GP. If Plushenko does not go to Cup of Russia he has an easy win at both of his events if he even skates decently. He would have to have a mini meltdown to lose to any of Lysacek, Weir, or Buttle at this point.
I don't think he's afraid of the competition. I just think he is a busy man who has many things to do and skating is included but..... Maybe he is studying Thai Dancing,, which btw, is quite beautiful and we'll see it in some show and maybe in Worlds. He is a multi-faceted man and has many interests.

He has not, unfortunately, got the backing of a Top Federation, but I think now, at least the Government of Switzerland has begun to appreciate him. Two World Championships. Wow. Maybe an actor of the calibre of Maximillian Schell is in his future.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Alas, some of the under-performing names of recent years have just become stale: van der Perren, Li, Lindemann, Smith. I actually quite admire some of these skaters (vdP particularly) ... but don't think they're realistically competitive.
Van der Perren is the current European bronze medallist.

waxel

Final Flight
Van der Perren is the current European bronze medallist.

Yes, but that would almost seem a fluke since he finished 7th, 6th and 11th in the preceeding years. Don't get me wrong. I like him. His career just seems to have stalled.

I'm looking forward to seeing some new, exciting skaters this season.