PAIRS GP Assignments | Golden Skate

PAIRS GP Assignments

Skate America: Pang and Tong should walk away with this - but - Canada has 3 very nice teams in this grouping headed by Dube and Davison.I also like Russia's Efameiva and Menschikov; I think Nan/Leftheris should at least shine with a perfect routine, or look for new partners.

Skate Canada: Savchenko/Solchowy are out to win the Finals; Dube/Davison need a second place to get to the Finals. Buntin debuting his new team. Moskvina - Kawaguchi/Smirnov out to get back the heart of B&S; Vise and Trent to execute a throw quad!!. Vlassov/Meekins to get back the glory of the Junior gold.

Cup of China: Is TBA reallt Shen/Zhao? If not Pang and Tong should walk away with this and head to the Finals; Poland's P&M are a fun team; I think O&S and I&B have seen better days; My McLaughlin and Brubaker getting a taste of Seniors. How good will they be? N/L need a silver to go to Finals.

Eric Bombpard: (not the most interesting venue) Zhang and Zhang on the rebound; Pla/Bonheur a nice team. Have they improved? Mukhortova/Trankov a much ballywhood team. Let's see. I think Castile and Olkowsky was a bit of a fluke at Nats last year, but we can check this out.

Cup of Russia: Putnam and Wirtz could shine here. Zhang and Zhang hoping for a trip to the Finals; Savchenko/Szolkowy out to confirm their trip to the Finals; Kawaguchi/Smirnov could get a bronze here but M/T will also be going for that; Namiotka and Coughlin - I know the names but have never seen.

NHK Not the top draw listing but Innoue and Baldwin should win this. Maybe M&B will have sbs triiples by the time this is skated.

Joe

bostonskater

Rinkside
Although Savchenko/Szolkowy are the only truly top team at Skate Canada, there isn't a weak pair in the field. They're all experienced and accomplished; Buntin has finished very high in the world even though he'll be debuting his new partner. All the teams except the Americans have been to at least one Worlds. It's a very tough field. Vlassov/Meekins could skate as well as they did at Nationals (sbs triple sals, two throw triples) and finish low in the ranks, as could Vise/Trent.

Compare it to NHK, a very weak field; McLaughlin/Brubaker could get a medal even without a second throw triple or side-by-side triple jumps. The Ukrainians are likely to beat Inoue/Baldwin for the gold.

Russia is pretty tough too, and the popular but young Namiotka/Coughlin could finish last.

Both they and Vlassov/Meekins deserve a second GP assignment - they're ranked 13th and 18th in the world! Singles skaters ranked much lower and without any ISU championship experience got two assignments. This thing of only having eight pairs in each event is brutal.

netnuts

Match Penalty
Compare it to NHK, a very weak field; McLaughlin/Brubaker could get a medal even without a second throw triple or side-by-side triple jumps. The Ukrainians are likely to beat Inoue/Baldwin for the gold.

It's not going to happen. Successful junior pairs always have some difficulty transitioning into senior pairs. They don't even have a sbs triple, and only do one set of throw triple, that's definitely not enough for senior competitions.
Besides I&B & V&M, Canadian pair A&C Russian pair O&S are clearly above them.

oleada

Record Breaker
The reduced amounts of pairs is making things really competitive.

My thoughts...

Skate America: My prediction is for Pang/Tong for gold, Dube/Davison for silver and Nam/Lefteris for bronze (I love them, but consistent they are not). Castile and Okolski also have a good shot at bronze. I'll like to see how Bazarova & Larionov fare in this one, as I really liked them at Junior Worlds, though her jumps are not great. I'll be really happy if they don't come in last. It's great that they're getting experience.

Skate Canada: Niiiiice field. Savchenko and Szolkowy will hopefully win. Dube/Davison and Kawaguchi/Smirnov :)love:) are my picks for the other medalists. It'll be interesting to see Duhamel/Buntin and how they compare to the field.

Cup of China: Another win for Pang ad Tong, me thinks. Inoue/Baldwin, as bleh as they are, could probably medal , even if their better are way, way behind them. I have no idea how Obertas will be mentally. A medal could be possible for N/L again.

TEB: Aside from V/M and the Zhangs, not much dept here either. Probable edge to the Zhangs, but I fell in love with V/M at Worlds, so I hope they come out ahead. If Mukhortova and Trankhov have improved under Vasilliev, they could medal here.

Cup of Russia: Zhangs vs. S/S for gold here, with Kawaguchi/Smirnov as the other probable medalists, but Mukhortova and Trankov will be going for it too. Yay for Russian K/B and Namiotka/Coughlin - love to see young pairs get experience. :rock:

NHK Trophy: Hope it's V/M's to win. I/B, L/H, O/S and M/B could all medal here.

Last edited:

waxel

Final Flight
It's not going to happen. Successful junior pairs always have some difficulty transitioning into senior pairs. They don't even have a sbs triple, and only do one set of throw triple, that's definitely not enough for senior competitions.
Besides I&B & V&M, Canadian pair A&C Russian pair O&S are clearly above them.

True, but their split triple twist is right up there with the best in the world. Let's hope they can add the other elements soon.

bostonskater

Rinkside
I hope Angelluv is right about Vlassov and Meekins in Canada. Their free skate at Nationals blew me away, particularly compared with the dreadful performances of two of the three medalists. I hope they can continue to raise the technical bar on all the other American teams, skate clean, and get some respect as seniors!

Angelluv

Rinkside
I hope Angelluv is right about Vlassov and Meekins in Canada. Their free skate at Nationals blew me away, particularly compared with the dreadful performances of two of the three medalists. I hope they can continue to raise the technical bar on all the other American teams, skate clean, and get some respect as seniors!

Wasn't their FS amazing?! I was so happy for them. They had a great first senior Nats, and I hope this season is even better for them. IMO, they definitely have the goods. They just need to put it all together. After all, they beat O & S last year at NHK. Julia and Drew have wonderful technique and artistry.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Savchenko/Szolkowy are going to win everthing this year. They are so talented and i can't wait to see them win worlds.

mizu_iro

Final Flight
Savchenko/Szolkowy are going to win everthing this year. They are so talented and i can't wait to see them win worlds.

I love them, but they're not exactly consistent.
They'll have their wins but I see Pang/Tong as being steadier.

oleada

Record Breaker

From your mouth to God's ears...
I hope they'll be more consistent this season, though and they can have some more skates like their free skate at Euros. :bow:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I wouldn't mind seeing Team Ingo (aka, Aliona & Robin, LOL ;)) win everything this year. They are wonderful! :)

And I actually don't care where they place but I'm just thrilled that Evora & Ladwig are being given a chance on the GP again after missing out this past season! :clap:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Namiotka/Coughlin got shafted, only getting one GP assignment. They were 13th on the World Standings list AND 23rd on the Seasons Best list. And they finished 4th at Jr Worlds.

All the other Pairs teams who were top 24 on both lists got two assignments, and several teams who were top 24 on only one list got two as well: Piatkowska/Khromin (24, 25), Vise /Trent (45,18), Pylkina / Hogner (16, 34) and Li/Xu (23, 28).

Last edited:
First of all, Brubaker looks like he works for Joey Buttafuco's Body Shop and get's around to tossing Mclaughlin high in the air twisting when someone reminds him it's time to skate.

I think that alone will get them a medal.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Brubaker is an amazingly musical skater. He may look like a muscular auto mechanic type, but he is always right on the music, every step of the way. He has been successful with every partner he's skated with because of that.

Not taking anything away from Keauna, but Rockne is a ROCK star.

discoduck

On the Ice
Rockne might look like an auto mechanic but he is an amazing skater. I haven't seen him with Keauna but I loved him with his other partner.

I would love nothing more than for TBA at Cup Of China to be Shen and Zhao but I'm pretty sure that it isn't.

I'm looking forward to pairs this season. I really think that it's going to be a battle between Team Ingo and Pang/Tong for the top spots.