2:00 p.m. - Original Dance
3:35 p.m. - Pairs Free Skate
6:00 p.m. - Ladies Short Program
7:40 p.m. - Men's Free Skate

Sunday, Oct. 28
1:00 p.m. - Free Dance
2:50 p.m. - Ladies Free Skate
6:30 p.m. - Exhibition

Given the above, and with 2 hours of LIVE skating on Sunday afternoon (and breakfast for some posters) Can anyone give an estimate of how much time will be alotted for TV? If we divide l hour each for Dance and Ladies and the times are continuous. We should have Dance from 2:00 to 3:00 and Ladies from 3:00 to 4:00. at least in that time span. How much of the skaters they can show, is up to the network given the blurbs, ads and K&C. There would be no time for Exhibitions.

Hopefully the top skaters and teams do well in the SP and Dance prelims so that we get la creme de la creme for TV.

Since I am not going to Reading (will go to Quebec City), I want to see the whole kit and kaboodle somewhere. It would be wonderful live but this is too limited and I hope that NetSkate will have it even if I have to renew my dues. Maybe USA Network will have some tapes of Friday and Saturday events.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
The USFS assured us fans when they were making the new TV deal that all the competitors will be able to be seen somehow. If not live, then on-demand. (Un)fortunately, this might mean shelling out the dough to subscribe to Ice Network. But hey, it's cheaper than cable TV- good news for fans who got cable just to watch the ESPN broadcasts.

The deal the USFS cut is with the NBC network, I assume (i.e. not NBC Universal Cable), and they agreed to 10 hrs. of coverage. It sounds as if those limitations are actually specified on the contract that was signed...and if that's the case, if they wish to change that they would have to rip up this contract and negotiate another one, or make modifications within the bounds of the current contract (i.e. more coverage on their website).

What does seem to be scheduled for TV is a 2-hr telecast of likely mixed live/taped coverage of the event. Come to think of it- How long would it take to show the entire ladies' event? Sounds like it takes approximately one hour per group (ABC took two hours to show live coverage of one and a half groups at Nationals). Seems like there might have to be some event re-shuffling here. NBC may only have time to show the ladies skate live in a two-hour broadcast window. And would they want to show the lesser skaters in the 1st group, or would they rather go with taped coverage of the dance event?

May be best to do what ABC did last year and show only ladies- but unlike ABC, they have the additional platform of their media-intensive website which to put additional coverage.

Last edited:

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Expect to see SP's and those FS's not making the two hour Live telecast on NBC TV to be webcast (combo live and delay) on Ice Network, or on one of the NBC streaming web entities. Ice Network quality is excellant for the annual subscription of $29.95

What does seem to be scheduled for TV is a 2-hr telecast of likely mixed live/taped coverage of the event
If they said LIVE then there should be no tape, unless there is some sort of mishap. Looking at the tentative schedule, Dance preceeds Ladies, so, it would be more likely that the most coverage would be Dance. They could, of course, change the schedule before the SA begins, and have Ladies on before. Still to be rekoned with are the blurbs, adverts and K&C sequences.

I think we hashed all this out on other threads, I was hoping that someone has heard more about this than the initial announcement. I do want to see the SPs, Prelim Dances and the Men's, Pairs Finals somewhere. The Network has a huge Sunday schedule of Sports and timing is important for showing this figure skating. I think there was mention of USA Network. That would be fine but there hasn't been any confirmation of what they will show.

visaliakid: Regarding IceNetork, I wonder if we have to renew membership dues? I haven't heard from them. I did enjoy watching the Regionals and Sectionals, but this will be international.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think we will see the last 3 Dance couples, and then the Ladies FS live.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
visaliakid: Regarding IceNetork, I wonder if we have to renew membership dues? I haven't heard from them. I did enjoy watching the Regionals and Sectionals, but this will be international.

Joe

All annual subscriptions ($29.95) paid by bank or credit card are auto-renewal subscriptions. Check your account for the date you originally purchased it. The one annual charge gives you access to everything that will be shown live or delayed or archived.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
If they said LIVE then there should be no tape, unless there is some sort of mishap.

Looking at the announcement details, there is this clause:

"Parts of the ladies and ice dancing finals at 2007 Skate America will be shown live during a two-hour broadcast on Sunday, Oct. 28, on NBC. The two-hour show may also include taped coverage of the pairs and men's finals taking place Oct. 27. Icenetwork.com and NBCSports.com will also provide a combination of live and on-demand domestic coverage of the remainder of the entire competition."

Gives me the impression that they might shift back and forth between live and taped coverage, which I hope they don't do. Just do the live coverage and put what happened already on the website. JMO

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
wow. this is much better than ESPN and ABC. I hope that they have this extensive coverage throughout all the Grand prix events.

R.D.

Record Breaker
We know they'll do this for SA, US Nats, and probably invitationals. As for the other events, ESPN still has them this season.

wow. this is much better than ESPN and ABC. I hope that they have this extensive coverage throughout all the Grand prix events.
Don't count on this. There are only two hours that must have commercials and fluff as well as the moments in K&C. How much of the Men's and Pairs Finals will probably be just a rerun of the winners' LP, and these will cut short the Ladies and Dance LIVE showings. It is impossible to show much in a 2 hour TV program. they should concentrate only on Ladies and Dance, and show everything else on USA Network just as ABC would do with ESPN. We don't know if they will do that.

IMO, this event is just a test to see how to handle the Nationals wich in NBC's interest is the important way to get more sponsors on board. You have to realize that NBC's interest is not in us but in the Olys to make a bundle.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Isn't any network's top priority to make money? Of course NBC is using the coverage to benefit themselves...every network does that. But, some networks also focus on giving good quality coverage while others are still learning. In close calls, though, the bottom line always wins out over fans' wishes.

I think NBC tends to, more often than not, produce decent coverage of major sports (NHL, NBA, MLB NFL). Minor sports, not so much.

When it's all said and done, I generally prefer NBC Sports' coverage (and CBS Sports' for that matter) to ABC/ESPN- that's just my personal opinion. I notice ESPN often fails to capture or deliver all the drama, excitement and personal stories of many of their televised events- instead resorting to cheesy fluff and relatively unexciting reporters. This is only in general- it doesn't hold for all cases. It's tough for me to explain clearly...you really have to look at nuances to understand.

But all I know is ESPN/ABC's coverage of skating, and hence that's what I'm used to. I've never seen an NBC skating comp. broadcast outside of the Olympics, so I can't tell for sure how it's all going to play out.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
As for 2 hours, what should be focused on is how good the actual broadcast is put together, rather than how long it is. ABC also gave two hours of coverage, so I don't get the outcry- if you wanted more, there was additional coverage on ESPN. This time there's additional coverage online.

Last year, ABC's coverage of SA was the following: Sunday, the weekend of the competition: 1 hr, Ladies short. Next Sunday- a FULL WEEK later- 1 hr, Ladies free. (I'm only talking about coverage on broadcast TV here.) I'll take a two hour live broadcast over that any day even if it means no short programs. It's no longer an issue because whatever isn't on TV will be online. YMMV...

Isn't any network's top priority to make money? Of course NBC is using the coverage to benefit themselves...every network does that. But, some networks also focus on giving good quality coverage while others are still learning. In close calls, though, the bottom line always wins out over fans' wishes.
Of course, this is America. Money talks. If quality gets more more money then that's what Americans will get. But the bottom line as you say in your saving way always wins out. Why then is Poker so popular on TV? Auto Racing? Golf? Horse Racing in season? I'm not concerned about networks. Money is the buisness of networks and their business comes first. Don't forget ABC quit the figure skating business, it was not fired from it. It never had the Olys. CBS and NBC had the Olys. Were they ok with you? But then you are only interested in the Ladies so basically you are easier to please since all networks in America tend to ensure good showing of the Ladies.

The bottom line for me, unfortunately, is that Amercians only have an interest in competition every 4 years, and specifically for Ladies singles. I think Europe has more interest in figure skating at least in seems that way in looking at the crowds in the arena.for all disciplines.

BTW, I really hope that your faith in NBC proves fruitful for figures skating which is at an all time low at the moment. But then your interest is just for ladies. No matter, it is something.

The rest of your post is just an opinion and that's ok. I can live without that.

I think NBC tends to, more often than not, produce decent coverage of major sports (NHL, NBA, MLB NFL). Minor sports, not so much.
I have no idea who does the high school sports nor do I care. It's Poker, NASCAR and Golf which are important.

When it's all said and done, I generally prefer NBC Sports' coverage (and CBS Sports' for that matter) to ABC/ESPN- that's just my personal opinion. I notice ESPN often fails to capture or deliver all the drama, excitement and personal stories of many of their televised events- instead resorting to cheesy fluff and relatively unexciting reporters. This is only in general- it doesn't hold for all cases. It's tough for me to explain clearly...you really have to look at nuances to understand.

But all I know is ESPN/ABC's coverage of skating, and hence that's what I'm used to. I've never seen an NBC skating comp. broadcast outside of the Olympics, so I can't tell for sure how it's all going to play out.
Another opinion. ok,. yeah. Now you will see two hours of LIVE competition of one, repeat one, Grand prix. Ladies! so you will be happy. Beats all that silly ESPN stuff on Pairs, and Mens. Doesn't it? Unfortunately, NBC is not going to splurge and bring LIVE from Canada, China, France, Russia and Japan. They are not that interested in figure skating. Are they?

Joe

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Before I start- I believe ABC DID have the Oly's in the 80s...? I'm not old enough to remember but I hear a lot of reference to ABC Sports' Olympics coverage back then. Then NBC/CBS took over in the 90s, and now in the 00's it's just NBC.

Now, onto the subject:

Here's the key- with the new NBC/USFS deal, the coverage will be across several platforms. I do have faith that this is a turn for the better- and so do many of the skaters for that matter. I've read reports that some skaters were excited about the deal once informed about it (Tanith is one of them).

This is the reason I don't quite understand your harping on me for liking the Ladies- NBC plans to give about the same amount of coverage to ALL disciplines for US Nats, and since it only has 2 hours for SA it decided on the most popular ones, which happen to be Ladies (then Dance). It will ALL be online, one way or another, so no matter which discipline you prefer, you will get to see everyone. This is in contrast to ABC, which had a heavy bias for the Ladies (they showed only that during SA last year, and during Nats this year). If anything, fans of other disciplines should be jumping for joy now.

but this is a thread about the SA schedule and US TV coverage. there's not much else to say right now other than just repeating the info stated in the press release over and over again.

Last edited:
RD - I'm not harping on you. I'm hoping your are right in your jubilation about LIVE TV of Figure Skating. You are the first person I ever heard from who got excited over a network. You have to have bought stock in General Electric. I know I did but not for skating reasons. I also bought stock in Haliburton and I am anti Bush and anti War. but money talks.

The post was to get a reaction to the time element in SA -- not the Nats which still remains to be seen once the schedule is out.

Two hours to cover two disciplines LIVE (and maybe some top Americans will not be in the last to skatel)plus the commercials, the fluff and the K&C. It is an international competition and not like the US Nats.

Back to my original post weeks ago: Let's see how it goes and give it full credit if it deserves it but not before hand. (Still no news of Mens Pairs and SPs except for speculation.)

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, they weren't clear in their description, so maybe when the schedule comes out they will be clear as to exactly what will be shown during the broadcast. It seems like they aren't even sure yet themselves. If they plan on showing live coverage of both disciplines, that will surely run over 2 hrs (going by the time it took to do live coverage of 2 groups at Nats) so I'm confused as well as to exactly how they're going to do it. I mean, I can't imagine them showing the top three dance teams and only having time to cover the ladies' first group and maybe the first 2 of the second, leaving the medal contenders to online coverage. :laugh: Now, if they are flexible enough to extend TV coverage by a half-hour, then it could work out nicely.

I still see one hour of taped dance coverage, than one hour of live ladies competition. That or cover the entire ladies event live. For some odd reason, though, I don't think they'd want to leave Belbin and Agosto out of the TV broadcast as the reigning OSM's.

Another thing that *could* be done is to split the broadcast into two live 1-hr showings- one of the last group of dance and then later, another of the last group of ladies. But what to do or show in between? Maybe throw in some Country on Ice or something :laugh:

I'm sure the details as to what will be covered where are still being worked out.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Sunday competition leads off with the FD at 1 pm, followed by an ice remake and the Ladies FS beginning at 2:50 pm.

The broadcast will probably begin at 2 pm, and most likely, they will start off the top Ice Dance teams live. Then, during the zamboni break and the first flight of Ladies, they will show tapes of the Pairs and Men medalists. Then they will come back to show the final flight of Ladies live.

2:00-2:30 Ice Dance live.
2:30-3:15 Taped Pairs and Men
3:15-4:00 Ladies live

Of course, all will be packaged up with commercials and the inevitable fluff.

Last edited:
I think Chuck is right about that. I really look forward to it. To me, showing the final flight of ladies live trumps other considerstions. It will be like a real sports event, with the audience actually watching in anticipation of seeing who is going to win.

In the delayed broadcasts of ABC/ESPN, they treated it more like a show. Here is some skating that happened a week ago. I think sports fans are more "in the moment."

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
:agree:I agree with both Chuck and Mathman as to how the telecast will unfold. I also agree that the events will be presented as a sport, not a show, as ESPN/ABC did up until last season.

Key for me is the use of cross-media platforms that NBC brings to the contract, as well as U.S. Figure Skating's subsidiary 'Ice Network!' Between them all and for the first time, every SP, FS and CD, OD, and FD from Novice, Junior and Senior levels will be either telecast or webcast and this is exciting to contemplate. :clap:

I have to admit, I even enjoy "watching" these competitions on the Internet forums. Golden Skate often is able to send correspondents to file live play-by-play.

To me, that's cool. Like "watching" baseball games on the radio back in the day. It captures the thrill of victory, agony of defeat aspect of spectator sports. Who's ahead? How many points did so-and-so get? Who's the next up, and what does he/she have to do to take over the lead?

I can supply the visuals in my own "theatre of the mind," LOL. :)