Plushy not going to the GP? | Golden Skate

Plushy not going to the GP?

Cup of Russia has a spot listed as "To Be Announced." Everyone is assuming that this place is being held for Plushenko if he decides to skate later in the season. This is Russia's "extra" spot, which, as host nation, they can fill with any Russian skater.

As I understand it, there is quite a bit of pressure on Plushenko at least to compete at Europeans and Worlds in order to win some extra places for Russian men in the following year.

From Plushenko's point of view, I think money is an issue. He is doing so well with his professional tour and other enterprises that he would take a financial hit if he went back to competition.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
yeah, i guess that spot is for plushenko, but he will not be able to make the GPF without another event.

Ximena

Final Flight
I think that putting aside wether he wanted to do or not an extra event, he couldn't do it because of his ISU ranking.

Plushenko has ended up in the GPF twice with only event, though it was because someone always ended up withdrawing.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Personally, I'd love to see Plushenko at Cup Of Russia and makes this event more attractive. But from his point of view, unless he is absolutely ready for it, and dieing for the feeling of the competing, there is no reason to attend one GP event and face the possibility of being shut out of the GPF. To go to Russian Nationals, Europeans, and the Worlds are making a lot more sense. JMO

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think Plushy WANTS to do the GPF, so it's no problem for him if he doesn't qualify.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
From Plushenko's point of view, I think money is an issue. He is doing so well with his professional tour and other enterprises that he would take a financial hit if he went back to competition.

Yes, that is true... On the other hand there is that huge glory, which he would get if he still manages to win in Worlds and next Olympics. No other Russian singles skater has won the Worlds after an Olympic season where he won the gold medal.

Mafke

Medalist
I don't think Plushy WANTS to do the GPF, so it's no problem for him if he doesn't qualify.

Exactly, the GPF is mostly interesting for younger skaters without many (or many) big titles to their names. The older more established (singles) skaters mostly don't seem too interested.

If Plushenko is only going back to compete to try to get more russian places in europeans and worlds, then all he needs to compete in are europeans and worlds. It might be nice to go to a single convenient GP event as a tune up, but then there's always the unpleasant scenario of making it to the final and having to go or come up with a good reason not to...

:laugh: Although, top skaters in the past have never had a problem with coming up with a reason to withdraw.

Mafke

Medalist
Dear ISU,

I feel deeply honored and humbled to have made the GPF this year despite coming in third in the one qualifying even I found myself at.
Unfortunately I fear I will not be able to attend this prestigious event and compete for this impressive title due to a series of unfortunate events. First and most sadly, my grandmother died (yes, my third grandmother, it's a long story), my dog ate my skates (we got him to spit them back up but cleaning them will last until the GPD is over according to the local skate-clearning shop). If that weren't enough my car is being fixed so I don't think I'll be able to make it to the airport next week.
It's too bad I'll have to miss the exciting GPF. Maybe next year ...

sincerely,

Elite skater

discoduck

On the Ice
I think it's pretty much a given that Plushenko will be at Cup Of Russia unless he gets run down by a zamboni. ;)

Zanzibar

Final Flight
I think Joubert's performance last year at Cup of Russia rather annoyed Evgeni, and that perhaps he would prefer to leave his own "exclamation mark" on that ice...one that rivals, if not surpasses, Joubert. If he's not ready at that time, or would miss some ultra lucrative show endeavours, then I think he'll appear at Nationals. It's really no biggie if he misses the GP season....yet...I believe there remains the tiny annoyance of the Joubert 3-quad free skate, LOL...

Ximena

Final Flight
I think Joubert's performance last year at Cup of Russia rather annoyed Evgeni, and that perhaps he would prefer to leave his own "exclamation mark" on that ice...one that rivals, if not surpasses, Joubert. If he's not ready at that time, or would miss some ultra lucrative show endeavours, then I think he'll appear at Nationals. It's really no biggie if he misses the GP season....yet...I believe there remains the tiny annoyance of the Joubert 3-quad free skate, LOL...

Though Plush can beat Joubert's score at CoR, I don't think he can beat a three-quad program considering he has not try even two in...2 years?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Dear ISU,

I feel deeply honored and humbled to have made the GPF this year despite coming in third in the one qualifying even I found myself at.
Unfortunately I fear I will not be able to attend this prestigious event and compete for this impressive title due to a series of unfortunate events. First and most sadly, my grandmother died (yes, my third grandmother, it's a long story), my dog ate my skates (we got him to spit them back up but cleaning them will last until the GPD is over according to the local skate-clearning shop). If that weren't enough my car is being fixed so I don't think I'll be able to make it to the airport next week.
It's too bad I'll have to miss the exciting GPF. Maybe next year ...

sincerely,

Elite skater

lol:rofl::rofl::rofl: yes, it seems that in the past few years more skaters have had injuries etc during the grand prix series than anyother time of year.

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
lol:rofl::rofl::rofl: yes, it seems that in the past few years more skaters have had injuries etc during the grand prix series than anyother time of year.

I hope I am not getting into trouble for that, but I am counting on a few "fake" injuries aka I dont really wanna go doctor please write me a note ;)