Megan Oster... | Golden Skate

Megan Oster...

TtonyV7

On the Ice
I really didn't know much about this skater, and was quite shock to see her get 2 GP spots, especially over Kahle (Personally I thought they should have split 1 between each other). However, I recently saw clips of her performance this past US Nationals and was quite impressed!

She really is an enjoyable skater, very refine, but most importantly, SKATES WITH MATURITY! She has clean lines, nice spirals, wonderful spins (I just love her usage of broken leg positions), and has quite nice coverage. There's this nice, natural grace yet powerful element to her skating, reminiscent of Kwan and Gusmeroli. Of course there are still some areas that she needs to polish, however she's one of those skaters that keeps my attention. We'll see how she fares on the GP!

She is, arguably, the most beautiful lady in the mix, and she does have star quality. She's not a cutsey wootsey. I think there will be some subjective higher GoEs if she skates clean. It's been proven that looks get the promotions in the real world.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All of the other Singles skaters who medaled in the JGPF (Caroline Zhang, Ashley Wagner, Kevin Reynolds, Stephen Carriere) got two GP assignments as well. The other JGPF medalist (Brandon Mroz) chose to stay in the JGPF. The Junior World singles medalists who didn't do the JGPF (Patrick Chan and Sergei Voronov) got two GP assignments as well.

Although two assignments are not guaranteed, all the singles skaters who finished out of the top 12 at Worlds but appeared in the top 24 on the World Ranking and/or Seasons Best list got two assignments (except Sokolova, who apparently wasn't submitted by RFSF).

flying camel

Medalist
I hope she does well with her GP events. She is a skater who seems to do better internaionally then nationally. She always seems like a nervous wreck at nationals.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
She is, arguably, the most beautiful lady in the mix, and she does have star quality. She's not a cutsey wootsey. I think there will be some subjective higher GoEs if she skates clean. It's been proven that looks get the promotions in the real world.

Joe
ITA Joe. There are some great vids of her on YouTube, maybe someone will give TtonyV7 an invite. She was very much a favorite to watch last season.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I remeber her from nationals... i was very impressed with her and loved her program to the "mission" very lyrical, great edges and spins.... i just wish her jumps had had more succes. I hope that she can skate strong in the grand prix... amuch better prospect for thet US than Katy Taylor.

Nigel

On the Ice
I hope she does well with her GP events. She is a skater who seems to do better internaionally then nationally. She always seems like a nervous wreck at nationals.

Here are Megan's results from last season:

from the JGP series last season:

JGP NED results: 2nd overall
http://www.isufs.org/results/jgpned2006/
SP: 29.54 + 19.71 = 49.25 (1st)
FS: 39.23 + 39.72 (-2.00) = 76.95 (2nd)

JGP Liberec results: 1st overall
http://www.isufs.org/results/jgpcze2006/
SP: 25.78 + 19.27 = 45.05 (1st)
FS: 40.36 + 37.27 (-1.00) = 76.63 (3rd)

JGPF results: 3rd overall
http://www.isufs.org/results/jgpf0607/
SP: 28.97 + 19.95 = 48.92 (2nd)
FS: 46.45 + 41.35 (-1.00) = 86.81 (3rd)

And her results from US Nationals: 11th overall
http://spokane2007.usfigureskating.org/Results.aspx
SP: 27.12 + 21.61 (-2.00) = 46.73 (12th)
FS: 45.40 + 40.85 (-1.00) = 84.25 (9th)

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
wow. it would be great of she medaled at a senior grand prix event. she is a lovely skater and hope that she along with Caroline and Kimmie and Emily take the world by storm! lol:rofl::biggrin:

Kypma

Final Flight
Wow, you can really see the difference between the JPG and Nationals: at Nationals, she placed really low in the standingd, yet her results aren't much worse than at some of her other events... shows the strength of the junior American ladies ;)

Kypma

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I hope that she can skate strong in the grand prix... a much better prospect for the US than Katy Taylor.

I don't know about that. Katy had a complete and total melt-down at Nationals. I mean she was just a puddle of melted liquid out on the ice ......... and still beat Megan by 3 spots.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Overall, yes, but Oster was 9th in the FS to Taylor's 12th in Spokane.

In any case, I personally don't like to compare "prospects" when it comes to young skaters. I've enjoyed following/watching the progression of both these skaters (and many others) over the years. Every skater will have ups and downs in their careers, and it's how they deal with the "down" times that usually will determine if they can reach and sustain a level of success at the senior level.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Katy Taylor beat Megan by 3 spots because Katy had a wonderful SP. Katy was in 4th place after the SP and got to skate in the final flight. Megan was 12th in the SP, almost 12 points behind Katy, and she beat Katy in the FS by only 3.2 points.

Last year was just a bad dream for Katy all the way around. In the new season she will wake up and take aim at the stars! :yes: