Johnny Weir Makes a Coaching Change | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir Makes a Coaching Change

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I really don't know what to make of this change! Seems many at other boards don't think much of this decision. What says everyone here? :unsure:

Ashley Foy said:
My first coach was Nina Petrenko, Viktor Petrenko's wife. She gave me an amazing base for my skating. She is an exceptional choreographer! Nina had me learn Viktor's same footwork and practice it for hours every day in the morning before kindergarten.
Um, we are talking about a 4 year old learning the OGM's footwork? She sounds like a US Tarasova! :bow:

Hmm, she and Zmievskaya are mother and daughter (Z is the mom). And Z was Baieul's coach who semi-adopted her.

It sounds like an extremely intense and serious setup. Which is great if he is serious about winning. If he's made up his mind, I just hope he can stick it out with them until 2010.

Who is the choreographer? Google didn't turn up anything on her.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
This is being discussed already elsewhere; thought I'd make a thread here.
He'll be working with Galina Zmievskaya, among others.

I hate to say it, but I´m kind of feeling that with this change Weir is going from bad to worse, so to speak. If he could give up his obsession towards everything Russian, he might benefit from it, I believe.

In my opinion Weir would need a coach and choreographer who both are CoP-wizards, really understand the system. That fact does not prevent the choreographer from being great in artistry, LOL.

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Well......... Hmmm....... Ummm....... He's an adult, he can do whatever he wants.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I'm a bit sad he left Priscilla ... I really liked them together. I do hope this works out for him, though.

He always claimed Priscilla was his coach and TT was his choreographer. Well, anyway, he been on the downward sliding scale. Priscilla's fault? Of course not, and he knows that. I think he realizes the downward slide in his abilities and he is reaching out to stop that.

Johnny has been extremely interested in outside attractions and I believe they have been a distraction for him with regard to his skating.

He's a big boy now, and knows la dulce vida and serious competitions do not mix. Maybe he is looking for a more stern coach to keep him on the ice and away from that glamorous world.

I hope this is about knuckling down and the start to being a first rate competitor.

Joe

flying camel

Medalist
I think Johnny has just been burnt out for the last couple of years. Maybe he just needs a change. I don't know if I like the change, but that was his choice. He likes the Russian influence, so maybe it will work.

I wonder if he has russian blood. Maybe his ancestors were Russian. He does not feel that close to them for nothing. I wish him all the luck in the world. Isn't that where that Elena G......... is training?

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Isn't that wherer that Elena G......... is training?

Yes, the same ice rink.

Google says Johnny's new location will be a 31 min drive away from where Morozov coaches. Yes, I'm among nonexistent those who think Johnny could use some face stroking choreo for his programs.

emma

Record Breaker
Wow...this kind of shocked me!

I do wish Weir all the best in this new partnership, and do hope he meets all the goals he sets for himself!!!

Having said that: Johnny, please, please, please consider doing run throughs of your programs (often); please, please, please consider doing some kind of off ice endurance and muscle training (you need power to work through nerves and to land 3x3's and a quad), and please, please pretty please keep those wonderful smooth liquid like edges!!!! oh, and have fun too ;)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Who is the choreographer? Google didn't turn up anything on her.
If it's same Faye Kitariev (without the -a), she coached and choreographed for a Novice lady at 2007 U.S. Nationals, Victoria Hecht, who skated to Russian music for both her programs (Doga's Sentimental Waltz and Kornelyuk's St. Petersburg) and placed 8th. Someone at FSU said that Kitariev, who has coached with John Nicks, also worked with Sasha Cohen before the Torino Olympics.

Same Weir thread at FSU also mentions that Elene Gedevanishvili has been sighted lately in Hackensack, NJ with coach (and former Russian/Israeli men's skater) Roman Serov but it's not sure if this is permanent or temporary.

Last edited:
I think Johnny and Elene are buddies (after Torino he picked her for the OGM in 2010) so maybe they will be able to spur each other on to greatness.

It is very hard to believe that Priscilla would fire Johnny. I won't believe that until it is confirmed by either him or her.

Thanks, Sylvia!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow...this kind of shocked me!

I do wish Weir all the best in this new partnership, and do hope he meets all the goals he sets for himself!!!

Having said that: Johnny, please, please, please consider doing run throughs of your programs (often); please, please, please consider doing some kind of off ice endurance and muscle training (you need power to work through nerves and to land 3x3's and a quad), and please, please pretty please keep those wonderful smooth liquid like edges!!!! oh, and have fun too ;)
Emma, I agree with everything you said. As for Johnny and Priscilla, I think they have too much respect for each other for Johnny to say one day, you're not my coach anymore or for Priscilla to say to Johnny, I'm not coaching you anymore. This change could mean a more serious attitude from Johnny about his skating, I sure hope so. Maybe the new coach can knock some sense into his head. I love Johnny's skating and style, please don't change that.

Dee

discoduck

On the Ice
I was surprised to hear this. Haven't he and Priscilla been together since he started? I hope this works out for him.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
I think I read somewhere the Galina is known as the "Iron Lady". I hope it works out for Johnny he is such a talented skater, and I would love to see him reach his potential.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I know that Priscilla was also coaching skaters not on the senior level and maybe caused Johnny to change coaches.

I know that he has said in many many interviews that he loves everything Russian. So...possibly this also had something to do with it.

I hope it works out for him.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i am stunned, athough i guess i should not be. is he still at the same location? I guess that he wants a entirely diffrent approach to next season, which i agree he needs, but i thought that he and priscilla got along very well and were together for a long time. I would not be surprised if he returned to her if his comeback plans don't work out os great.... think sasha cohen.

well i hope that this change gives him the motiavation he needs to start training full time andn get serious about his skating.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I know that Priscilla was also coaching skaters not on the senior level and maybe caused Johnny to change coaches.
The majority of coaches have to coach many different skaters at all levels in order to make a living. Priscilla Hill has coached a variety of lower to senior level skaters before Weir started lessons with her, as well as other international skaters more recently. This is true of Galina Zmievskaya as well, even though she may have only coached two skaters at 2007 Worlds (can't remember if there were any more) -- Gedevanishvili (who may or may not still be with her) and Israel's Tamar Katz.

Last edited:

twinsissv

Rinkside
: Johnny, please, please, please consider doing run throughs of your programs (often); please, please, please consider doing some kind of off ice endurance and muscle training (you need power to work through nerves and to land 3x3's and a quad), and please, please pretty please keep those wonderful smooth liquid like edges!!!! oh, and have fun too ;)

I really, really, really like what you said and...
I really, really, really like the way you said it! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited: