Johnny Weir Makes a Coaching Change | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir Makes a Coaching Change

layido

Spectator
I'm hoping it will all come together at US Nationals and Johnny gets his title back.

For me, it really doesn't matter he wins his title back or not because he has already had three National gold medals in a row. Since Johnny has many international fans, that must be sad if he doesn't leave his name in the World record. I really think a world title is more important to him.

psycho

On the Ice
For me, it really doesn't matter he wins his title back or not because he has already had three National gold medals in a row. Since Johnny has many international fans, that must be sad if he doesn't leave his name in the World record. I really think a world title is more important to him.

I don't know...I get the feeling the US title means a lot to him. He really fought for it every year since 2004. I really hope he gets it back next year because I think it will do wonders to his confidence and he'll kick *** at worlds. :rock:

I don't know about anyone else but I have a good feeling about Johnny this upcoming season. He seems like he is in an up-swing. Here's crossing my finger that I'm right.;)

layido

Spectator
I don't know...I get the feeling the US title means a lot to him. He really fought for it every year since 2004. I really hope he gets it back next year because I think it will do wonders to his confidence and he'll kick *** at worlds. :rock:

I don't know about anyone else but I have a good feeling about Johnny this upcoming season. He seems like he is in an up-swing. Here's crossing my finger that I'm right.;)

I feel the same way, too. I know a National title seems to mean a lot to him. But, for a medal collection, I think a different one is more interesting.:biggrin:
Since he has had three the same gold medals, so why not think about other kinds of World medals?:laugh:

I feel Johnny seems to get refreshed from reading his journal and blogs. Beside the coach, I will be more worried about this new choreographer. What can she offer? That's my curiosity.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread (and I don't have time to check through the whole thing right now), but Johnny has been added to the cast of Kimmie's "Angels on Ice" show in Baltimore, Maryland on 8/25/07. :) There is also a time change for the show (originally it was supposed to start at 3 PM - now it will start at 7 PM).

http://coolkidscampaign.org/

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
But I've never understood the wisdom of not doing run-thru's. I've heard of numerous skaters over the years who train "sequences" of a program, or "jumping passages" but rarely do full run-thru's. Don't get it. I work in the theater and run-thru's are your friend. That's how you work on establishing and maintaining flow, communicating with your audience and getting the performance into your "muscle memory." If I were a coach you'd better believe my skaters would do multiple run-thru's. Regularly.

agree with u 100%. I have been there and done that. I did the occasional half-hearted runthrough, doing singles and really just doing the bare minimum. The skaters know that once competition day rolls around they will have to go through the entire program with no stops, no second chances, hitting everything and selling it all. .How is this possible if they have never done it before? The next year a did full runthroughs with a five minuite warm up and was a sucess in competition. it's so much easier. You don't "like doing it" then you don't deserve to win.

I don't know...I get the feeling the US title means a lot to him.

yes, i think becasue he know he will never really be world champion he wants to be at least U.S champion.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I think it's just the theme of the past couple of seasons with skating fans in regards to Johnny... we've read how many threads saying his time is coming to an end, if it isn't already up?

In team sports teams go through slumps (look at my beloved San Fran 49ers... they dominated the 80s and early 90s and now??? *Sobbles*) and you don't see a lot of people saying the team should just be retired!

but a skater has a lousy season or two and he's a washed up has been that can never amount to anything ever again... come on! give him a break. If he annoys you that much, then don't watch him listen to him read about him etc.... lol

yeah it's annoying that he can't seem to figure out the right combination that will work for him, or worse decide that the problem is his head and figure out how to fix 'himself' first or whatever the issue is.

problem is, outsiders never truly know what is going on with a skater... we can speculate, but that's all it is, speculation. but this too is harmful because so many people believe everything they read on message boards... so then it's taken as gospel...

and why I'm rambling I don't know... it's early in Alaska, I'm on no sleep here in Florida... and I went off on a tangent, my bad! :laugh:

The thing is Johnny never really "made it". He has never won a World medal. There are 6 current skaters-Lambiel, Joubert, Buttle, Takahashi, Lysacek, Lindemann, who have, 7 if Plushenko returns. Lambiel, Joubert, Plushenko, Lysacek, Buttle (counting an Olympic medal too) have multiple in fact. Granted Lindemann is not a real contender anymore, but if you think about it that way you could replace him with Oda and Verner who only dont have a World medal yet either since they are so young (Oda) or so new to the elite group (Verner).

Johnny is also no longer the young guy. He isnt old but he isnt younger then his main rivals. Lambiel, Lysacek, Oda, Takahashi, Verner, are all atleast a year younger then him. Joubert is the same age.

It is not as if people who are writing him off are writing off a guy who has proven himself at the highest level, and is mired in a brief slump. He has never proven he can make it up to now. Yet we are at a time where there are an increasing number of contenders in a very deep mens field, where he is progressively getting older by comparision to them, and where his ranking is progressively slipping when he had never made it onto the podium at the World level to begin with. Maybe writing him off altogether is premature, but at the very least the clock is ticking on his window of opportunity, what is left of it that is. The judges also have less reason to take him seriously or give him the same respect as time passes, as he is an increasingly older medal-less skater, with an increasing number of skaters younger then him who have already proven themselves as World medalists

krenseby

Final Flight
The thing is Johnny never really "made it". He has never won a World medal. There are 6 current skaters-Lambiel, Joubert, Buttle, Takahashi, Lysacek, Lindemann, who have, 7 if Plushenko returns. Lambiel, Joubert, Plushenko, Lysacek, Buttle (counting an Olympic medal too) have multiple in fact. Granted Lindemann is not a real contender anymore, but if you think about it that way you could replace him with Oda and Verner who only dont have a World medal yet either since they are so young (Oda) or so new to the elite group (Verner).

Johnny is also no longer the young guy. He isnt old but he isnt younger then his main rivals. Lambiel, Lysacek, Oda, Takahashi, Verner, are all atleast a year younger then him. Joubert is the same age.

It is not as if people who are writing him off are writing off a guy who has proven himself at the highest level, and is mired in a brief slump. He has never proven he can make it up to now. Yet we are at a time where there are an increasing number of contenders in a very deep mens field, where he is progressively getting older by comparision to them, and where his ranking is progressively slipping when he had never made it onto the podium at the World level to begin with. Maybe writing him off altogether is premature, but at the very least the clock is ticking on his window of opportunity, what is left of it that is. The judges also have less reason to take him seriously or give him the same respect as time passes, as he is an increasingly older medal-less skater, with an increasing number of skaters younger then him who have already proven themselves as World medalists

That's an obvious point. To sum it up, thus far Johnny is America's version of Elena Liashenko. A voidy top 10 skater that has attracted some attention from the fan community. Except Weir has already managed to attract a lot more fans than Liashenko did.