Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who gets 3rd spot for U.S Men to Worlds this season?

Banned

Who gets 3rd spot for U.S Men to Worlds this season?

If we assume Lysacek and Weir will be 2 of the 3 men to make the U.S World team, who will the 3rd one be this year. Bradley shocked most people by coming 2nd this past season. Can he make it back to Worlds? Will Abbott who alot of people are impressed by make it? Early last season alot of people seemed to have Scott Smith penciled into that 3rd spot, so will he finally make it onto the main podium and onto Worlds this year? Or someone else?

Custom Title
    you make it sound as if both Evan and Johnny are sure bets. I would put a big question mark behind Johnny's.

I would say Stephen Carrie!

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra_persch View Post
    you make it sound as if both Evan and Johnny are sure bets. I would put a big question mark behind Johnny's.
    That's just silly. Johnny has been to Worlds four times and never finished lower than 8th. Look where the "third man" finished at Worlds those four years - 15th, 16th, etc. If Carriere makes the team, which he could, he could easily finish lower than 20th at Worlds.

Johnny and Evan are the two top US men by a mile; the third spot is wide open for whoever skates best next January.

Resident Chinese pair nerd
    It's way early to be calling this but I would love to see Jeremy Abbott take it. Hopefully he will continue to improve on his success last season.

Custom Title
    I think a question mark by Johnny's name is appropriate right now, since he has just changed coaches and (I think) choreographers. I think it is way too early to make predictions after such a major change.

Tripping on the Podium
    It's always tough to make predictions in this sport; however, I think it will be hard to unseat Evan and Johnny. They're pretty much shoe-ins for the World team. Also, we never know who will come out of sectionals. Look at what happened with Jeremy last year--4th place. There's a bunch of talented men in the wings--Stephen, Scott's always a threat, Jeremy, Ryan can medal again, Braden, and let's not forget Eliot Halverson coming up from Juniors.

Have to check out the GP skates before I can name the three in no particular order.
    Bradley, the entertainer, Abbott with past experience in Nats, Carriere, last,year's Jr. champ, and a few other former juniors. Just too early to call.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelluv View Post
    Also, we never know who will come out of sectionals. Look at what happened with Jeremy last year--4th place.
    Amen! And Abbott wasn't even on the Senior Grand Prix last year. He gained early season momentum and confidence with his gold medals in a Senior B comp. (Finlandia Trophy) and at Midwestern Sectionals last November. (This is NOT a prediction, skategods! )
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-13-2007 at 11:23 AM.

I'd love to see Ryan Bradley on the podium at Nationals again but if not him then I'm thinking it will be Abbott or Carriere & an outside chance by Pennington.

Custom Title
    I agree that Johnny and Evan are locks. Third spot is definitely wide open. Ryan is entertaining, yet inconsistent and a bit over-the-top for some. I recently watched Jeremy's famed LP at Nationals and had forgotten all the problems he had with axels. He will need to get that under control if he wants to make the team. Still, I think he has exciting possibilities. Should be fun to see who will become "the third man."

Custom Title
    I would expect Lysacek to be a sure case for US Worlds team of three men, but who the other skaters might be, is very much open, in my opinion. The battle will be between Bradley, Abbott and Weir, I think.

Banned
    I think Ryan Bradley can make it again. Abbott should be strong, though. It will be exciting to see the other new guys step up as well.

~Z

Rinkside
    Lots of depth in men in the US, but also in the rest of the world, so let's hope Evan and whoever is #2 can pull off the necessary results at Worlds to keep it at 3 spots to be even having this debate.

My picks:
    1. Evan
    2. Jeremy
    3. Johnny

For Ryan, would be great to see him 'do it again' - but last year's dream nationals so reminded me of Rudy Galindo's win... and Rudy was smart to say to himself... can lightning strike twice? maybe not... done... off to entertain. This is what Rudy did best... this is what Ryan does best.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by montclair411 View Post
    For Ryan, would be great to see him 'do it again' - but last year's dream nationals so reminded me of Rudy Galindo's win... and Rudy was smart to say to himself... can lightning strike twice? maybe not... done... off to entertain. This is what Rudy did best... this is what Ryan does best.

But Rudy won the US Championship, went to Worlds and won bronze that year. THAT's why he packed it in. Bradley finished a distant 2nd to Evan and finished 15th at Worlds. NO comparison.

Banned
    Well Weir and Lysacek are both pretty certain to at worst be top 10 at Worlds. That is worst case, best case is one of them gets on the podium. Whereas the other U.S guys have almost no shot to crack the top 10 at Worlds. That is why I consider those two locks for spots. Then again Bradley was able to edge Weir at Nationals this year, so maybe 2 guys doing it is possible. I just couldnt see it happening though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast