Who gets 3rd spot for U.S Men to Worlds this season? | Golden Skate

Who gets 3rd spot for U.S Men to Worlds this season?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
If we assume Lysacek and Weir will be 2 of the 3 men to make the U.S World team, who will the 3rd one be this year. Bradley shocked most people by coming 2nd this past season. Can he make it back to Worlds? Will Abbott who alot of people are impressed by make it? Early last season alot of people seemed to have Scott Smith penciled into that 3rd spot, so will he finally make it onto the main podium and onto Worlds this year? Or someone else?

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
you make it sound as if both Evan and Johnny are sure bets. I would put a big question mark behind Johnny's.

I would say Stephen Carrie!

bostonskater

Rinkside
you make it sound as if both Evan and Johnny are sure bets. I would put a big question mark behind Johnny's.

That's just silly. Johnny has been to Worlds four times and never finished lower than 8th. Look where the "third man" finished at Worlds those four years - 15th, 16th, etc. If Carriere makes the team, which he could, he could easily finish lower than 20th at Worlds.

Johnny and Evan are the two top US men by a mile; the third spot is wide open for whoever skates best next January.

discoduck

On the Ice
It's way early to be calling this but I would love to see Jeremy Abbott take it. Hopefully he will continue to improve on his success last season. :)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I think a question mark by Johnny's name is appropriate right now, since he has just changed coaches and (I think) choreographers. I think it is way too early to make predictions after such a major change.

Angelluv

Rinkside
It's always tough to make predictions in this sport; however, I think it will be hard to unseat Evan and Johnny. They're pretty much shoe-ins for the World team. Also, we never know who will come out of sectionals. Look at what happened with Jeremy last year--4th place. There's a bunch of talented men in the wings--Stephen, Scott's always a threat, Jeremy, Ryan can medal again, Braden, and let's not forget Eliot Halverson coming up from Juniors. :)

Have to check out the GP skates before I can name the three in no particular order.
Bradley, the entertainer, Abbott with past experience in Nats, Carriere, last,year's Jr. champ, and a few other former juniors. Just too early to call.

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Also, we never know who will come out of sectionals. Look at what happened with Jeremy last year--4th place.
Amen! :) And Abbott wasn't even on the Senior Grand Prix last year. He gained early season momentum and confidence with his gold medals in a Senior B comp. (Finlandia Trophy) and at Midwestern Sectionals last November. (This is NOT a prediction, skategods! ;))

Last edited:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'd love to see Ryan Bradley on the podium at Nationals again but if not him then I'm thinking it will be Abbott or Carriere & an outside chance by Pennington.

waxel

Final Flight
I agree that Johnny and Evan are locks. Third spot is definitely wide open. Ryan is entertaining, yet inconsistent and a bit over-the-top for some. I recently watched Jeremy's famed LP at Nationals and had forgotten all the problems he had with axels. He will need to get that under control if he wants to make the team. Still, I think he has exciting possibilities. Should be fun to see who will become "the third man."

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I would expect Lysacek to be a sure case for US Worlds team of three men, but who the other skaters might be, is very much open, in my opinion. The battle will be between Bradley, Abbott and Weir, I think.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
I think Ryan Bradley can make it again. Abbott should be strong, though. It will be exciting to see the other new guys step up as well.

~Z

montclair411

Spectator
Lots of depth in men in the US, but also in the rest of the world, so let's hope Evan and whoever is #2 can pull off the necessary results at Worlds to keep it at 3 spots to be even having this debate.

My picks:
1. Evan
2. Jeremy
3. Johnny

For Ryan, would be great to see him 'do it again' - but last year's dream nationals so reminded me of Rudy Galindo's win... and Rudy was smart to say to himself... can lightning strike twice? maybe not... done... off to entertain. This is what Rudy did best... this is what Ryan does best.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For Ryan, would be great to see him 'do it again' - but last year's dream nationals so reminded me of Rudy Galindo's win... and Rudy was smart to say to himself... can lightning strike twice? maybe not... done... off to entertain. This is what Rudy did best... this is what Ryan does best.

But Rudy won the US Championship, went to Worlds and won bronze that year. THAT's why he packed it in. Bradley finished a distant 2nd to Evan and finished 15th at Worlds. NO comparison.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Well Weir and Lysacek are both pretty certain to at worst be top 10 at Worlds. That is worst case, best case is one of them gets on the podium. Whereas the other U.S guys have almost no shot to crack the top 10 at Worlds. That is why I consider those two locks for spots. Then again Bradley was able to edge Weir at Nationals this year, so maybe 2 guys doing it is possible. I just couldnt see it happening though.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I also wish Galindo had stayed in after the 96 season. He certainly could have been a medal contender for the 97 Nationals, 97 Worlds, 98 Nationals, and 98 Olympics. He was a potential silver or bronze medalist at any of those events, at the very least, given how they were skated. He was finally becoming consistent with his jumps. Even without a quad, if he stayed consistent doing triple axels, triple-triples, and all the other triples; combined with his artistry, choegraphy, and style, the field was such he could have stayed among the top group.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I think Lysacek and Weir will be in the World team for sure. Otherwise, we should question the USFS judges' decision. Unless Weir wants to give up and hands the top spot over to other people. I don't see that happening. Weir will do better and fight harder than last season. It's not easy to mark Weir off the US podium in the current men's field.

It's hard for Bradley to repeat last year's luck. I think Abbott or Carriere will be the third man, or maybe it's just my wish.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
My personal feeling is Bradley has attented his only ever Worlds but we will see. I am now starting to think Scott Smith may never make a Worlds. Before this past season people thought he had a good shot at that 3rd spot and going into this season it seems more bleak. I really like both Abbott and Carriere. I am not sure who to cheer for between them to get that one remaining spot. I would ilke Abbott I guess since he is at an age now he really needs to start making a mark, while Carriere has plenty of time.

Arianne

On the Ice
I really hope that Rohene Ward makes it to nationals and places well this year. He is certainly a unique and beautiful skater. Anyone know how he is doing this year?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I really hope that Rohene Ward makes it to nationals and places well this year. He is certainly a unique and beautiful skater. Anyone know how he is doing this year?
He's planning to compete and, hopefully, will qualify for '08 Nationals in his hometown (Minneapolis/St. Paul). :)

Last edited: