Wow, I didn't know Sasha was such a Hockey fan! (Journal Entry) | Golden Skate

Wow, I didn't know Sasha was such a Hockey fan! (Journal Entry)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Well, she lives in Orange County -- the Ducks "home turf". I don't know if she is such a strong hockey fan that she would feel the same way if another team had won it.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that she was seen dining with one of the guys on the team, but I couldn't swear to this.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well isn't she FROM Anaheim? That's perfectly understandable. Doesn't have to mean she loves hockey.

I mean, I couldn't stand baseball...until the Astros got in the playoffs. Then I watched games closely with everyone else in the city. I learned quite a bit about the game in the process as well. Same with NFL football. Never watched NFL outside the Super Bowl until the Texans franchise came about (I was very young when the Oilers were still in town).

There's nothing quite like cheering on your home team...no matter what sport it is.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Well, she lives in Orange County -- the Ducks "home turf". I don't know if she is such a strong hockey fan that she would feel the same way if another team had won it.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that she was seen dining with one of the guys on the team, but I couldn't swear to this.

A few months ago Sasha was in the Boston area. She did a skate clinic with some young people (can't remember the details). Also present was a Boston Bruin hockey player. In the Boston Herald newspaper there is a section called the "Inside Track" which reports on celebs and athletes. It was reported that Sasha's luggage was lost and she did not have skates and she had to wear hockey skates. They had a photo of her and the Bruin who was helping her get around the rink in these clunky skates. Unfortunately for the youngsters Sasha could not do any of her great moves because she did not have her skates.The next day it was reported in the Herald that Sasha and the Bruin were spotted having dinner together.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Actually if Sasha were a true hockey fan she would know it's called The Stanley Cup playoffs or even just playoffs (Canadians know what this term means) not hockey playoffs. It's not a golf tournament.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
What's so surprising about that? Sasha's mom is from USSR, who ruled the hockey world during that time. Any self-respecting Russian speaker follows hockey to at least some extent.

Also, Sasha trained with Tatiana Tarasova, whose father is a Soviet hockey legend. I am sure some of tatiana's stories about her father must've made an impression on sasha.

Finally, what's wrong in refering to "the playoffs" when one talks about an NHL team as "hockey playoffs"? What else could the Ducks be involved in? Everybody knows (even the American fans :sheesh:) that only NHL teams can play for the stanley Cup.

...only NHL teams can play for the Stanley Cup.
In total violation of the express wishes of Lord Stanley!!

In the first place, Stanley specifically designated that the cup would be awarded to the "best team in Canada," so how does California get into the picture?

Secondly, it is a challenge cup. That is, if you have a bunch of guys who you think can play hockey, then you challenge the team that holds the cup. If you win, you get the cup until someone comes along and takes it away from you. Giving it to the NHL champion -- where did that idea come from? :biggrin:

On the other hand, throwing octopuses on the ice -- now that's a cool tradition! :)

discoduck

On the Ice
I always thought it was sort of strange that there were more hockey teams in the US than in Canada. :laugh: I also think it's rather odd to name a hockey team the Ducks. Seriously, what do Ducks have to do with ice?

And yes before anyone says it, I know that the team is named from the Disney movie The MIghty Ducks. I was simply releasing my inner snark. ;)

Oh my gosh, why would anyone want to do such a horrible thing?
Throwing an octopus onto the ice to celebrate a goal or a victory is a Detroit Red Wings tradition going back to 1952. Some guy owned a fish market next to the stadium, and the idea was supposed to be that 8 legs symbolized the 8 victories that it took to win the Cup in those days.

In modern times they have developed informal rules, such as, don't throw an octopus at the opposing players' heads. But the main one is, instead of raw octopus now you are expected to boil it first. There are two reasons for this. First, that way there is less octopus slime for the Zamboni crew to clean up.

And secondly, boiled octopus doesn't stink as bad as raw, so you have a better chance of sneaking it in past the security guards. :)

Tigger

Final Flight
Speaking of critters being thrown on the ice...

Did anyone else see that Shark thrown out on the ice after San Jose had scored in one of their playoff games this spring? It wasn't a tiny thing either. How the !?! did someone manage to sneak that into the arena...!?!