"When I'm 64..." Yikes!!! | Golden Skate

"When I'm 64..." Yikes!!!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am still a long ways from the golden years that the Beatles sang about, but lately I must be looking old, because on occasion at stores and restaurants I get asked if I am a senior which qualifies me for a 10% discount. I am absolutely floored when asked this question. In fact this evening I stopped for a bite to eat at a Department store on my way home from work and the waitress did not ask me the question, she just gave me the discount!! I did not really think about it until on my way home. I thought, man I must look like a senior. Unreal. Anyone else have this experience or feel like they are being rushed to the rocking chair?

dutchherder

Final Flight
Ladskater,

Please enjoy it! My mom passed away at 64, which to me, felt awfully young. Grab all the discounts you can get and smile!!!! :)

Nobody even thinks about carding me anymore, and you're supposed to card people who look like they *might* be under 35. I won't be 35 for three more years....

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
I miss being carded now that I'm going to be 43 in September. Proud to say that I was last seriously carded when I was 36! The eye doctor is the only person who has made me feel that I might be getting old - at every annual eye exam he now says 'since you're over 40, you might need reading glasses soon'. My college roommate had to get bifocals this year. My other friend who is a year older than me has had to use reading glasses for a couple of years now.

Enjoy being whatever age you are. My co-workers wife died suddenly this past Monday night. She was just 56 and had become a grandmother less than a month ago. Along with her husband and granddaughter, she left behind 5 adult children and 3 kids-in-law and numerous siblings, nieces, nephews and friends. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about her.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Don't feel bad. I turned 78 in April. I have no trouble at all getting the discount. :rofl: What I have a problem with is the newspapers, tv, etc. all saying anyone over 45 is a senior citizen. How Unfair!!! I did get quite a compliment recently. My daughter (handicapped) went to the Dr. and I went along and the Dr. said "your mother is 77? She looks more like 67!!! Now, I wish I felt more like 67. :rofl: Maybe sometime I will get someone to send a picture. Trouble is, now I feel so ugly!:cry:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I love using my senior discount, especially at the movies!!! Saves money to help pay for the inflated price of the popcorn.......:agree: 42

Alsace

On the Ice
Nobody even thinks about carding me anymore, and you're supposed to card people who look like they *might* be under 35. I won't be 35 for three more years....

I didn't know it was under 35; I thought it was 27! Only one shopping/eating place that I frequent downtown requires carding, even if you are going to the alcohol-free section, so it rarely happens to me.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I may have just turned 46, but I lost 50 lbs. last year and have never been in better physical condition or felt as good in my entire life. I exercise religiously. My 13 year old daughter and I can share clothes (much to her chagrin). Yeah, if I have to aqe, I'm going down kicking and screaming. :rofl: I've probably got about 6-7 months left of my Invisilign braces, and then I'm going after my eyes with Lasik. :biggrin:

Yeah, the eyes give you away as you age. I've got to wear "cheaters" to see up close and to read if I've got my contact lenses in. It's such a total bummer. :cool:

My soon to be ex husband just turned 50, and I had to give him a head's up that he would start receiving solicitations from the AARP (American Association of Retired Persons), and sure enough, they started coming in the mail. He said he's ok with it if he gets discounts. I can't even go there mentally yet, it's just too painful to consider!