Tamara Moskvina: "Yuko Kawaguchi and Alexander Smirnov have set high goals" | Golden Skate

Tamara Moskvina: "Yuko Kawaguchi and Alexander Smirnov have set high goals"

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker

http://sportcom.ru/sport/figurkat/news466bbb92.htm

Tamar Moskvina, a coach of the Petersburg pair Yuko Kawaguchi/ Alexander Mirnov, told IA "Sportcom" that the preparation for the new seasons is going strictly according to her plan.

"We have already created both new programs, the short and the free, but what music we used is still a secret", said Tamara Moskvina. "The team is working on new elements, one of which is really top notch one, with the highest difficulty. What element it is I won't say – that's our little mystery. The athletes will have ice at the sports palace "Yubilejny" until mid-June, after which they will go to the training camp in New Jersey, USa, where they will join Evgeny Platov's dance teams. The athletes have set very high goals for the upcoming season. Yuko Kawaguchi said their first goal is to make it to the Grand Prix Final, after which she and Sasha intend to fight for a place at the podium a both Europeans and Worlds."

To remind the readers, Yuko Kawaguchi is the first foreigner to represent Russia. She has skated in a team with Smirnov for one year. Due to injury, she could not skate at Russian Nationals or at Europeans in the previous season. The skaters were 9th at the World championships in Tokyo.

Irina ANNENKOVA, IA "Sportcom"

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
This pair has a lot of potential and I think they can probably acheive these goals. It's kind of funny, actually, because when they went from 4th to 9th at Worlds, I was thinking, hmmm, Bereznaja & Sikharulidze did that exact same thing at their first Worlds, and then were the sensation of the following season. (However, K/S's 4th to 9th drop involved a much less disastrous free skate than B/S's in '97.)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do over the next few seasons, they're already very enjoyable to watch. (Even beyond the fact that Smirnov looks beyond yummy in a scoop-necked shirt... :laugh:)

emma

Record Breaker
Yes, many thanks for keeping us updated and for the translation. I just love Moskvina so much! I can't wait to so her at the Boards (I really hope we have some GP coverage!!!) and ofcourse, can't wait to see hear the music choices, see the new mysterious move, and ofcourse - the costumes!!!

Moskvina understands the necessity for flow in skating and insists on it. She's special and should hold master classes for that most important aspect of figure skating.

Joe

Big Deal

Final Flight
A really talented pair.
Already better potential than Totm./Marinin, but without T/M fabulous consistency.

Big Deal

Final Flight
I think, a Voloshazar / Smirnov pair would be unbeatable in Vancouver !!
She is sooooo good, but her partner is so-so.

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
I definately think that this team has great potential. I mean in your first world championship to place fourth in any phase is great. I think they have a chance at acheiving the European goal for sure I think they can for sure earn European Silver this next year but gold I think that Savchenko and Scholkowy will repeat but its figure skating and who knows what will happen. They may actually get a podium placement at worlds as well. I think that these two are pretty much the wildcards in the international events.