Russian skaters will get back to the practice of general training camps | Golden Skate

Russian skaters will get back to the practice of general training camps

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker

http://sportcom.ru/sport/figurkat/news4667e553.htm

According to what the president of the Russian figure skating federation Valentin Piseev told IA "Sportcom", next season will see a return to the practice of general training camps. The first one will take place in August at the sports base in Novogorsk near Moscow.

"We plan for the athletes and coaches to spend a week or two together", explained Mr. Piseev. "It will present an opportunity to share knowledge and to feel like one team. This season, those camps will occur episodically, whereas beginning next season they will occur regularly from August through the end of the season.

In addition, since the backbone of our current team is made up of young athletes, they will be obliged to participate at the Russian Cup events. This will let them skate their programs to the public, and will increase Russian audience's interest in the sport as the latter is lately feeling a real interest in our sport", said Mr. Piseev.

Vadim KOMAROV, IA "Sportcom"

Thanks for the translation. Will this have any effect on Russian skaters training elsewhere, like in the U.S.?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Back in the days of the Iron Curtain, I remember hearing that athletic programs in the Communist Block were entirely government funded, and much was expected of the athletes. So much that athletes were often severely punished, using methods we would now consider extreme, when they failed to perform.

I have a bad feeling somebody in Russia is getting nostalgic.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I have a bad feeling somebody in Russia is getting nostalgic.
I don't see this as a return to the old days at all. Such training camps are especially helpful for lower tier skaters - they allow them to train alongside the stars, as well as get some advice from elite coaches and choreographers.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
The USFS is holding some kind of skating 'camp' that is mandatory next week also, so nothing strange in Russia doing so.

The USFS is holding some kind of skating 'camp' that is mandatory next week also, so nothing strange in Russia doing so.
What exactly does "mandatory" mean? What could/would USFS do to a skater who didn't want to participate?

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Johnny Weir was told he HAD to cancel some of his show appearances in Japan later this week in Japan with Champions On Ice to attend - there was no "lee way".