Katy Taylor's Interview | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Katy Taylor's Interview

flying camel

Medalist
Well we can't totaly blame the girl. Its the media trying to make an interesting story out of her. To me she comes accross on TV as a spoiled dimwitted girl. But after reading a couple of interview on her I'm not sure that's her. So, I am just going to blame the media. As far as that Hummer goes, well she is still a teenager. By the time she get a car her taste will change. She will want something else.

_Ladybug_

On the Ice
How old is she? 17? How old was she when she mentioned the hummer? 15 or 16? How mature we all were when we had the same age? She is just a teen girl, for heaven's sake. Of course she wants to buy clothes and fashionable things, most of the teens do. I don't see what's the problem. It's SO easy to judge others, isn't it.

Well obviously her parents aren't just going to get it for her. So good on them. She is certainly well-off, though.
Well, figure skating is an expensive sport. Do you know whether Katy's family is any richer than others? (If so, is this bad? -- doesn't everyone strive for financial success?)

I do know that Katy attends a regular public high school whose student body is 44% white. (Don't know what that proves, but anyway...)

In the truth is stranger than fiction department, Katy's school is part of the Katy Independent School District, which includes part of Houston and surrounding rural areas. But no, she does not attend "Katy Taylor High," another school in the district. :)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Well obviously her parents aren't just going to get it for her. So good on them. She is certainly well-off, though.

Are you kidding? The kind of money a person spends (or desires to spend) on their clothes, car, etc. is a VERY revealing aspect into who they are. Katy wants to have a big, flashy car that is bad for the environment. That definitely tells me something about her.

~Z

Nope! I'm not... but then I tend to judge people based on their character, work ethic / their desire to work hard for what they want and personality... I don't care what they wear, what they drive. But that's just me... to each their own...

(But I will say that when I was 16, I wanted a pink Trans Am w/ t-tops... oh, to be gainfully employed at 16 doing something I had a passion for vs. having to do it the hard way... life is so not fair;) )

Last edited:

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Nope! I'm not... but then I tend to judge people based on their character, work ethic and personality... I don't care what they wear, what they drive or their desire to work hard for what they want. But that's just me... to each their own...

Again, your character and personality are reflected in the decisions you make...which would indeed include spending grand amounts of money on certain clothes or material possessions.

BUT...Katy's life outside of her skating shouldn't matter at all. We have to just judge her skating, when it comes down to it. On her skating alone, she is being eclipsed by a dozen others. And that's just in the U.S.....

So, again, I hope she can improve herself.

EDIT: Also, I don't really feel like she will be able to magically improve and become one of the best skaters in the World. I think that, at best, she could get on the World team this year. I don't see any room for her after after this year with all the other talent out there that will be striving to constantly improve themselves as well.

~Z

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Again, your character and personality are reflected in the decisions you make...which would indeed include spending grand amounts of money on certain clothes or material possessions.

BUT...Katy's life outside of her skating shouldn't matter at all. We have to just judge her skating, when it comes down to it. On her skating alone, she is being eclipsed by a dozen others. And that's just in the U.S. alone....

So, again, I hope she can improve herself.

~Z

Let's agree to disagree on character issues because I simply don't see your point - I refuse to make the correlation that wanting material things makes you superficial... But then, I work like a dog, spend time with my husband & son, play soccer mom when needed, volunteer throughout my community, contribute to causes I believe in, and pay my bills & taxes - but I'm here to tell you - KW will drop some serious cash on shoes in a heartbeat... not because I'm superficial, but because I can - and feel that as long as each person is taking care of their business, why not?

However, I do agree with you on Katy needing to improve her skating... she's way too talented to allow her nerves to undermine her success... but that's simply how this sport works and for a lot of these athletes, its their undoing.

Here's wishing this wonderful young lady lots o' success in the up-coming season...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Oh man, here we go again.

She does come across as not only ditzy on TV but somewhat conceited as well. But that's reached only being seeing her on TV and watching her expressions, etc. It has nothing to do with how she really is, which we can't know unless we spend excessive time observing her everyday life.

feraina

Record Breaker
I agree that you can't trust everything the Media spins at you, who knows how much of the real person they're showing you. The other thread on Yu-na's comments on Caroline is a case in point. Maybe Katy said something about the pink hummer in jest, and the media just keeps on bringing it up -- although from what she says in interviews and on her website, it really does seem like that it's something that matters a lot to her. *shrug*

In general, I think that one's preference for cars, clothing, and how to spend money do indicate something about one's personality/values/priorities. I would never have wanted a pink hummer as a teenager, and nor would have any of my friends at that age. None of us would think of buying a gas-guzzling, environment-destroying, excessively expensive hummer now, much less a flashy, tasteless pink one. And I think in some years, if our children stated publically and repeatedly at 16 that one of their major goals is to earn enough to buy a pink hummer, I think we would all be appalled and feel like at least to a small extent that we have failed as parents. At 16/17, most kids are taking SAT's and thinking about what college to go to and what kind of careers they want, after all -- they're not young children whose goals and priorities have no significant consequences on their own lives and the lives of people around them.

But as a skating fan, it doesn't matter in terms of skating what Katy wants or not wants to do with her prize money. I'm not looking for a friend here, just a great skater to admire. :) If she skates well (extending farther back with her toe-picking on the toe jumps would be a good start; she does have nice, fast, centered spins, though she can improve on her layback position), then I can enjoy her skating without wanting her to be my friend!

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
In general, I think that one's preference for cars, clothing, and how to spend money do indicate something about one's personality/values/priorities. I would never have wanted a pink hummer as a teenager, and nor would have any of my friends at that age. None of us would think of buying a gas-guzzling, environment-destroying, excessively expensive hummer now, much less a flashy, tasteless pink one. And I think in some years, if our children stated publically and repeatedly at 16 that one of their major goals is to earn enough to buy a pink hummer, I think we would all be appalled and feel like at least to a small extent that we have failed as parents. At 16/17, most kids are taking SAT's and thinking about what college to go to and what kind of careers they want, after all -- they're not young children whose goals and priorities have no significant consequences on their own lives and the lives of people around them.

Wow... That's deep... I'm glad I wasn't raised that way... My mom told me that if I wanted something, I needed to work for it - And when I did, she was proud. If I didn't, then I was not rewarded and sometimes even punished... (a C was an unacceptable grade in my house) But felt like she failed? Heck no! She was all about you get back, what you put in... and for me, it was perfect. Why? Because its not about the reward, its about the work you put into acheiving the goal. How can any parent feel that is a failure?

But again, to each their own...

feraina

Record Breaker
If I didn't, then I was not rewarded and sometimes even punished... (a C was an unacceptable grade in my house) But felt like she failed? Heck no! She was all about you get back, what you put in... and for me, it was perfect. Why? Because its not about the reward, its about the work you put into acheiving the goal. How can any parent feel that is a failure?

I don't think everything my mom said was totally wise, but she did say something to me that I will always remember (translated roughly from Chinese): "in terms of self-improvement, you should always look up to people who are more successful; in terms of material posessions, you should always look at people who have less than you. Otherwise, you will never be able to live up to your potentials fully, and make yourself miserable with what material posessions you lack." A B+ was unacceptable in my house. :p

Luckily for my children, my husband grew up under the lazy Mediterranean sun, and he believes in happiness more than self-achievement. A good anti-dote to my Chinese perfectionism, no doubt. :laugh:

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Working hard doesn't mean a person has good values. Lots of people work really hard to be thieves, or conartists, or drug overlords.

~Z

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Working hard doesn't mean a person has good values. Lots of people work really hard to be thieves, or conartists, or drug overlords.

~Z

:rofl::rofl::rofl: touche pussycat!!! I'm simply one of those people who think of good, honest hard work as a virtue... but I definately see your point on the above - Washington D.C. is filled with 'em...

(And there are also lots of really good, kind hearted people who are simply lazy lazy lazy...because the road to hell is paved with good intentions;))

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I don't think everything my mom said was totally wise, but she did say something to me that I will always remember (translated roughly from Chinese): "in terms of self-improvement, you should always look up to people who are more successful; in terms of material posessions, you should always look at people who have less than you. Otherwise, you will never be able to live up to your potentials fully, and make yourself miserable with what material posessions you lack." A B+ was unacceptable in my house. :p

Luckily for my children, my husband grew up under the lazy Mediterranean sun, and he believes in happiness more than self-achievement. A good anti-dote to my Chinese perfectionism, no doubt. :laugh:

I agree with this... another of my mom's favs was :what does it profit a man to gain the world and lose his soul... so I get where everyone is coming from - but I don't understand how working towards a specific goal could be a bad thing - with the understanding that the goal is pure and I believe a 16 / 17 year old working to earn a pink hummer falls under that... No biggie.

feraina

Record Breaker
with the understanding that the goal is pure.

Most of the world, especially Europeans, see Americans as being materialistic, superficial, uncaring about the environment, etc. The hummer in particular is a sore point. If they hear about Taylor and her pink hummer comments (especially as she comes from "Bush country"), they'd think, ha, here's a typical American who only cares about acquiring/showing off flashy, expensive material things and who has no concern for the environment or the people who are suffering from air-pollution and cannot afford healthcare in poor countries. And in a way, they're right. Americans spew an order of magnitude more pollutants per capita than anywhere else in the developed world. Of course one pink hummer hardly matters, but our choices reflect our personal values.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Yes, that's precisely the point. America has a poisonous culture and we as a nation are far more wasteful, FAR MORE, than anyone else. So it sucks hearing about people who play right into that.

But again...let's get back to the skating. Katy needs a lot of improvement if she wants to be a top competitor. I'm not sure what to suggest. You can't expect someone to magically turn into a brilliant performer with extremely consistent jumps and amazing spins. Even really great skaters often only achieve 2 out of 3 of those goals.

~Z

feraina

Record Breaker
I think most urgently she needs to fix her toe jump techniques. That bent back leg means lack of height and distance, which means falls and under-rotation. I don't know if it's already too late for her to fix jumps, but that's definitely the most critical thing for her right now. It wouldn't get her a Worlds medal, but it might at least put her in top 10.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Here is the most recent video interview of Katy that I know of. Scroll down a little on the right. If she really is a spoiled air-head, she hides it extremely well.

http://web.icenetwork.com/events/feature.jsp?id=misc

By the way, the Hummer H3 is the smallest and most fuel effecient Hummer that is produced. It gets 15 mpg in the city and 19 mpg on the highway. Not great, but not too bad for an SUV.

But really people, does driving an SUV or SUV-type vehicle mean that someone is not environmentally conscious? Does it mean they should be criticized?