2007/2008 Music & Choreography News | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2007/2008 Music & Choreography News

I can't wait for Virtue and Moir. I LOVE both of those selections. what is the OD for this year then? last year it was latin.... i belive mostly the tango.
There is a website for origins of Dances. I learned that the Tango is a Spanish Dance which was varied from the Bolero that travelled to France and Italy and made it to Argentina. There are no 'latins' in those countries. Argentinians are European descendants.

Another variation is The Beguine from Trinidad (not a latin country).

Another interesting tibbit from that site is The Cakewalk. It's origins are Native Americans in Florida (the Seminoles). The AfroAmericans made in popular at the turn of the 20th century. Nothing to do with the Tango.

It's a great site for Ballroom enthusiasts. I am sure you can google it.

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
There is a website for origins of Dances. I learned that the Tango is a Spanish Dance which was varied from the Bolero that travelled to France and Italy and made it to Argentina. There are no 'latins' in those countries. Argentinians are European descendants.

Another variation is The Beguine from Trinidad (not a latin country).

Another interesting tibbit from that site is The Cakewalk. It's origins are Native Americans in Florida (the Seminoles). The AfroAmericans made in popular at the turn of the 20th century. Nothing to do with the Tango.

It's a great site for Ballroom enthusiasts. I am sure you can google it.

Joe

thanks for the info. I was pretty sure that everybody had tangos last year, but not possitive and didn't want to sound stupid calling everybody's dance a tango if they were not. seem like a sounded stupid anyway. :rofl:

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Carolina's Programs

From her website (http://www.carolina-kostner.it/E-index2.htm), here are Carolina's programs for the season:

Short Program: 'The Doors, Riders on the Storm' - Ahn Trio
Long Program: Piano Trio "Dumky", Op. 90 - Dvorak - Eroica Trio

Doesn't say who choreographed the programs, but on her Profile page Megan Smith, Kurt Browning, Lori Nichol are listed as choreographers.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

rain

Record Breaker
I'm thrilled with Jeff's choice to keep Ararat... Because of his injury I felt like he never had the opportunity to do this to its full potential — and it's a fabulous program.

I'll be interested to see Virtue and Moir....they have their work cut out for them to top last year's FD, which was my favourite of the season.

In general, I think the choice of folk dance (which I understand includes country), is very interesting, a very, very broad for and OD category.

conga

On the Ice
Perhaps a little too broad...as I overheard one judge say...the allowances made for stretching the rules has made the purpose of the OD questionable and it seem like just another freedance. What does everyone else think?

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
Perhaps a little too broad...as I overheard one judge say...the allowances made for stretching the rules has made the purpose of the OD questionable and it seem like just another freedance. What does everyone else think?

Yes I agree with you. For instance, V and M's OD is skated to a classical version of "Dark Eyes" and because it's such a nontraditional rearrangement it's lost much of its folk music feel and sounded and looked a bit too much like "Valse Triste"....

rain

Record Breaker
Yes I agree with you. For instance, V and M's OD is skated to a classical version of "Dark Eyes" and because it's such a nontraditional rearrangement it's lost much of its folk music feel and sounded and looked a bit too much like "Valse Triste"....

My thing is that, how do you then score or compare that to, say, an American country music piece or Dixieland even? The point, I thought, of the OD was to be able to compare apples to apples with a bit more freedom than the CDs. But "folk" really encompasses a huge range of styles, from various countries and traditions around the world.

npa

Match Penalty
I really love V&M OD - i like, that its unussual arrangment and i really feell folk in this dance. And i cant find that these dance lokkes like Valse Triste - its different rithm.

dfj

On the Ice
For instance, V and M's OD is skated to a classical version of "Dark Eyes" and because it's such a nontraditional rearrangement it's lost much of its folk music feel and sounded and looked a bit too much like "Valse Triste"....

I saw this OD on the weekend and, at least to me, it looked nothing at all like Valse Triste.

"...Dixieland even? The point, I thought, of the OD was to be able to compare apples to apples with a bit more freedom than the CDs. But "folk" really encompasses a huge range of styles, from various countries and traditions around the world.
I want Belbin and Agosto to do When the Saints Come Marching In. :rock:

No, wait. I want Yamaguchi and Galindo to come back and do it. :rock: :rock:

No, wait. I want Yamaguchi and Galindo to do Bill Baily Won't You Please Come Home. :rock: :rock: :rock:

Last edited:

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
I saw this OD on the weekend and, at least to me, it looked nothing at all like Valse Triste.

I based my opinions on what I saw here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwROk-5mGLU

Obviously, I would probably feel different once I saw them on TV, because this video really doesn't allow you a full view of the program. And obviously, too, it's different rhythm and in many ways nothing like Valse Triste, but it doesn't pick up its pace or feel like "folk music" until like 1:24, and that's a good half of the program gone by right there. I don't know...

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think that they could have gone a little more "folky" with this dance and choosen a real gypsy sounding russian version with some hand clapping or somthing. But I will have to see it on TV before really critiquing.

Obviously, I would probably feel different once I saw them on TV, because this video really doesn't allow you a full view of the program. And obviously, too, it's different rhythm and in many ways nothing like Valse Triste, but it doesn't pick up its pace or feel like "folk music" until like 1:24, and that's a good half of the program gone by right there. I don't know...
It doesn't really matter. Most dance teams do polka steps to latin american music because the music is on a down beat, and they only know about up beat music. They keep the timing but there is no latin flavor in their movements. Shaking the fannie does not make a latin dance.

Joe

all that

Final Flight

There are large gaps in choreography in this OD, which is understandable, considering that the season hasn't really begun yet. It's also obvious that they have been focusing much more on their FD so far, since that is jam-packed with choreography. I'm going to wait til Skate Canada to decide how "folky" this program is.

At the moment though, I rather like the music. It isn't what I would think of when I think of a Russian folk dance, but it is what I would think an old Hollywood silent movie would play if they were trying to show a Russian folk dance. Does that make any sense? I think that's kind of cool. Now if they could only insert frames which say things like "He takes the scarf!!"

Last edited:

childfreegirl

Final Flight
I want Belbin and Agosto to do When the Saints Come Marching In. :rock:

No, wait. I want Yamaguchi and Galindo to come back and do it. :rock: :rock:

:clap:Definately agree with the second statement. Belbin and Agosto, IMO, could not carry it off.

And if you're crazy, I'm right there with you.:rock::rock::rock:

ruriruri

Spectator
Did Oda change the choriographer?

Oda had skated to the program coriographed by David Wilson since he appeared on the international stage and it has been very successful, i think.

But there is a rumor he had changed choriographer..

Does anybody know anything about it?

Kypma

Final Flight
Oda had skated to the program coriographed by David Wilson since he appeared on the international stage and it has been very successful, i think.

But there is a rumor he had changed choriographer..

Does anybody know anything about it?

No clue, but maybe Japan (or the JSF) didn't allow him to get out of the country, so he might have had to find someone in Japan... Just an idea, I have absolutely no references whatsoever.

Kypma