2007/2008 Music & Choreography News | Golden Skate

2007/2008 Music & Choreography News

netnuts

Match Penalty
As a preview for 2007/2008, please tell us any music selections/choreography news under this thread.

FSU compiled a list:

2007 – 2008 Music

Ladies
Lesley Hawker (CAN) – “Moon River” (SP); John Williams FS
Sarah Hecken (GER) – “Dark Eyes” (SP); “Red Hot” by Vanessa Mae (FS); “Because of You” by Kelly Clarkson (Ex)
Mirai Nagasu (USA) – “I’ve Got Rhythm” by Gershwin (SP); “Coppelia” (FS)
Yukina Ota (JPN) – “Swan Lake” (SP); “Aranjuez” (FS)
Ashley Wagner (USA) - “Henry VIII" by Saint-Saens (SP); “Por Una Cabeza” (FS)

Men
Jeremy Abbott (USA) – “Music Treat” by Carlos Santana (SP); Music Ghost Waltz from Mistletoe Bride ballet by Paul Chihara, Jazz Suite Waltz from the Eyes Wide Shut soundtrack, River Waltz from The Painted Veil soundtrack, Masquerade Waltz by Aram Khachaturian (FS)
Shawn Sawyer (CAN) – “Another Brick in the Wall” by the London Philharmonic Orchestra (SP); “Moments in Love” by Art of Noise (FS); Tainted Love, Untitled by Sum41 (Ex)
Alexander Uspenski (RUS) – “Don Quijote” (SP); “Turandot” (FS)

Dance
Sara Bailey & Kyle Herring (USA) – “Zorba the Greek” (OD); Selections from the movies 300 and Chronicles of Narnia (FD)

Pairs
Brooke Castile & Ben Okolski (USA) – “Kill Bill” (SP); “Scheherezade” (FS)
Brynn Carman & Chris Knierim (USA) – “Chopsticks” by Mozart (SP); “City Slickers” soundtrack (FS)
Amanda Evora & Mark Ladwig (USA) – “Stray Cat Strut” (SP); “Daphis & Chloe” by Ravel, “Reverie” by Debussy (FS)
Jessica Rose Paetsch & Jon Nuss (USA) – “Por Una Cabeza” (SP); “Capone” by Ronan Hardiman (FS)
Bridget Namiotka & John Coughlin (USA) – “The Mission” (SP); Music from “Pearl Harbor” (FS)
Julia Vlassov & Drew Meekings (USA) – a version of the “Titanic” score (FS)

According to some eyewitnesses and Pang & Tong's blog, they are currently working with Morozov to do two new programs. They will likely finish the choregraphy by the end of this month. The long program will use 'Romeo and Juliet'(Nino Rota version), this music has been overused, but hell, every music has been repeated thousands of times these day. Pang & Tong will try something new in short program, possibly blues style music with some sexy flavour.

Musically, it should be interesting. I didn't notice any Carmens, only one Swan Lake, one Coppelia and one Sheherezade. We may be seeing the doom of the war horses.

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i am SO happy that a pairs team finally chooese Daphinis et Chloe... it is great music for pairs skating.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Oh, Pang, Tong, first you skate to Phantom, now you skate to Romeo and Juliet? Are you two delibrately checking off the list of music cliches here? :eek:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Musically, it should be interesting. I didn't notice any Carmens, only one Swan Lake, one Coppelia and one Sheherezade. We may be seeing the doom of the war horses.

Joe

From your mouth to G-d's ears! Seriously, it is early days, so the war horses may still appear (in droves)

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Oh, Pang, Tong, first you skate to Phantom, now you skate to Romeo and Juliet? Are you two delibrately checking off the list of music cliches here? :eek:

Maybe they want to beat sasha cohen for using the most pieces of overused music in skating history.

netnuts

Match Penalty
Pang and Tong working with Morozov? Oh god..shoot me now.

?? Their SP last season was done by Morozov. You hate Morozov? LOL. I know he's not the most creative choreographer, but he usually gets the job done for competitions. No face-rubbing please!!

I guess R&J was suggested by Morozov. Pang & Tong indicated that Morozov gave them a list of recommended music in early April. R&J has been overused. I'm more interested in their SP.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Their SP last season was done by Morozov.

That's what I remember from last season's Eurosport comments, too. Although I can't find a confirmation anywhere online.

I remember watching them and trying to trace Morozov's influence, but I failed. So I decided the guy was just a mortal.

R&J by Roti from a film score. (sweet music)

R&J by Prokofiev from a Russian ballet. (strong music)

Morozov must have chosen Roti because it would be much easier to choreograph. JMO.

Joe

discoduck

On the Ice
?? Their SP last season was done by Morozov. You hate Morozov? LOL. I know he's not the most creative choreographer, but he usually gets the job done for competitions. No face-rubbing please!!

I guess R&J was suggested by Morozov. Pang & Tong indicated that Morozov gave them a list of recommended music in early April. R&J has been overused. I'm more interested in their SP.

Nope, I am not a Morozov fan by any stretch of the imagination. I do, however, enjoy the programs he has done to Spartacus. Not sure why he does such a good job with this music but he does.

He has a list of recommended music? I guess he keeps it around so that it's easier to rip himself off.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
True ;) Still, the movements are quicker and brasher than what 'typical Morozov's' choreo usually looks like, IMO.

dutchherder

Final Flight
Oh, Shawn Sawyer, what are you doing??? :banging:

I'm excited to see Castile and Okolski's "Kill Bill" program, though... that music seems suited to them. :thumbsup:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
No news of Jeff Buttle's music yet? Shawn Sawyer's sounds interesting.

netnuts

Match Penalty
more on Pang & Tong

A little more tidbits on Pang & Tong's choreography.

They have updated their blog talking about working on the long program, I can sort of understand what they've been talking, but hard to translate those terminology into English:

http://blog.sina.com.cn/pangqing_tongjian

Some rough translation:

The LP choreography is close to finish line. Almost all of their transitions have incorporated dancing elements and they are very difficult. They did a preliminary run through of each transitioning element and felt it will be a great challenge to their stamina. They hope after intense training, this new program will bring their skating skills and transitions to a new level.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
That's what I remember from last season's Eurosport comments, too. Although I can't find a confirmation anywhere online.

I remember watching them and trying to trace Morozov's influence, but I failed. So I decided the guy was just a mortal.

Maybe you couldn't trace the influence because they removed the straightline footwork in the pairs SP!