2007/2008 Music & Choreography News | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2007/2008 Music & Choreography News

theGT

Spectator
well...

yu-na say,

sp was comic and nimble movement,
lp was solemn and the grand style.

she challenge different style. contrast last season.

(sorry. my english is so bad;;)

_Ladybug_

On the Ice
Ladybug,
When I saw Die Fledermaus, I thought Eew, but I checked out your link. Carlos Kleiber - wow. :biggrin: This is the champagne of Fledermice. Thanks! Hope Yu Na uses this recording. (Fat chance.)

ETA: Wonderful to watch him too. What economy of movement. (Just like MK!) Rest in peace, CK.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
wow, i am so happy that Yu-na got two new programs.... seems very promising. neither one of those choices have been overused... in fact i don't think that i have ever heard miss siagon as a skating program.

gio

Medalist
wow, i am so happy that Yu-na got two new programs.... seems very promising. neither one of those choices have been overused... in fact i don't think that i have ever heard miss siagon as a skating program.

Michelle Kwan 1993 LP used Miss Saigon. I don't know what I was thinking before, but it isn't all that willowly after all!!! Thank goodnes!!! I was confusing it with another piece probably!

gio

Medalist
carolinefan177, where did you listen to the music Zhang is going to use for her SP? Could you give me the link, if there is no problem? I'd really like to hear it! Thanks! :)

BTW, Miss Saigon was also used by Tanja Szewczenko, Olga Markova and Nancy Kerrigan!

gio

Medalist
So, where is Olga Markova???? :laugh::agree:

You're so stupid Gio!!! Yu Na will use the same music as Olga Markova! A music that isn't willowly, but quite interesting! Before talking, inform yourself! ;):laugh:

carolinefan177

On the Ice
carolinefan177, where did you listen to the music Zhang is going to use for her SP? Could you give me the link, if there is no problem? I'd really like to hear it! Thanks! :)

BTW, Miss Saigon was also used by Tanja Szewczenko, Olga Markova and Nancy Kerrigan!

I listened to it on Rhapsody. You have to get an account, but it's free, and you get to listen to twenty-five songs a month.

http://play.rhapsody.com/raydetone/guitarnoir/spanishgypsy

carolinefan177

On the Ice
It's exciting that Caroline turned to Tom Dickson for choreography. Yu-Na Kim used him for her Tango de Roxanne, and we all know that her short program was magnificant.:yes:

beritaz

Spectator
YU-NA's LP

They say YU-NA's LP is mixed with 10 songs from Miss Saigon. I hope it includes some singings, chorus. Anyway, it will be quite different style. The coaching team is planing to show her variety of expression skills in each year.

Welcome to Golden Skate, Beritaz. Thanks for posting.

Wow, I kind of hope she doesn't try to show TEN different emotions in the same program. Three or four should do the trick (along with a variety of triple/triples, etc., of course. :) )

aunm88

Rinkside

Try this link. It's not the entire piece, just 2 min, but it gives you a bit of an idea
http://cdbaby.com/cd/raydetone3

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They say YU-NA's LP is mixed with 10 songs from Miss Saigon. I hope it includes some singings, chorus. Anyway, it will be quite different style. The coaching team is planing to show her variety of expression skills in each year.

Vocals are NOT allowed for singles and Pairs skaters, only ice dance. So there won't be singing in Yu-Na's program.

gio

Medalist
Thanks very much for the link! I'm glad she choosed that music, because it's really beautiful! :thumbsup:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I've gone through all the USFS athlete bios (Team A, B, C, Reserve) that have been updated with music info as of 6/30, 7/3 and 7/7 and 7/10/07, and here's my compilation for the USA team envelope skaters (includes some programs debuted at the recent Broadmoor Open). ***Last updated: August 16, 2007***

SENIOR GRAND PRIX competitors

Kimmie Meissner: "The Feeling Begins" by Peter Gabriel (SP choreographed by Lori Nichol); [hearsay] "Ever After" film soundtrack (FS choreographed by David Wilson)
Emily Hughes: "I Got Rhythm" by Gershwin (SP choreographed by David Wilson); "Carmina Burana" by Orff (FS choreographed by Mark Mitchell)
Alissa Czisny: "The Swan" by Saint-Saens (SP choreographed by Lori Nichol"; "West Side Story" (FS choreographed by David Wilson) - note: this music info is according to a poster at FSU
Bebe Liang: "The Sorceror's Apprentice" (SP choreographed by Braden Overett); "Yellow River Piano Concerto" (FS choreographed by Lori Nichol)
Megan Oster:"Sarabande" by Handel (SP); Selections from the movie "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" (FS); choreographers are Scott Brown, Susie Wynne, Maggie Leski
Caroline Zhang: "Spanish Gypsy" by Ray DeTone (SP choreographed by Tom Dickson); "Ave Maria" by Schubert (FS choreographed by Lori Nichol)
Ashley Wagner: "King Henry VIII" by Saint-Saens (SP); "Jealousy" (tango FS); choreographer is Jill Shipstad-Thomas

Evan Lysacek: Selections from the "Zorro" soundtracks (SP); "Tosca" by Giacomo Puccini (FS); choreographer is Lori Nichol (SP & FS)
Johnny Weir: "Lyubov v Trayom" variations on the theme from "Yunona i Avos" by Svetlana Pikous (SP choreographed by Faye Kitariev); "Love is War" by Yoav Goren (FS choreographed by Denis Petukhov)
Ryan Bradley: Music from "The Godfather" (SP choreographed by Braden Overett); Charlie Chaplin (FS choreographed by Nikoli Morozov)
Jeremy Abbott: "Treat" by Carlos Santana (SP choreographed by Kurt Browning);
"Ghost Waltz" from the Mistletoe Bride ballet by Paul Chihara, "Jazz Suite Waltz" from the Eyes Wide Shut soundtrack, "River Waltz" from The Painted Veil soundtrack, "Masquerade Waltz" by Aram Khachaturian (FS choreographed by Tom Dickson)
Scott Smith: "Night Train" (last year's SP); FS music: TBD; choreographers are Nikoli Morozov, Jamie Isley
Stephen Carriere: "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin (SP); Zoot Suit medley (FS); choreographers are Jamie Isley, Mark Mitchell

Brooke Castile/Ben Okolski: L'Arena" by Ennio Morricone from the Kill Bill Volume 2 soundtrack (SP); "Scheherazade" by Rimsky-Korsakov (FS); choreographer is Marina Zoueva
Rena Inoue/John Baldwin: "La Cumparsita" (SP); Selections by Wagner (FS); choreographer is Oksana Grishuk
Naomi Nari Nam/Themi Leftheris: "Piano Fantasy" by Aaron Copland (SP); "Liebestraum" by Franz Liszt (FS); choreographer is Peter Oppegard
Amanda Evora/Mark Ladwig: "Stray Cat Strut" by the Stray Cats and Brian Setzer (SP choreographed by Christine Hough Sweeney); Ravel's "Daphnis and Chloe" combined with Debussy's "Reverie" (FS choreographed by Jim Peterson)
Tiffany Vise/Derek Trent: "Harem" by Sarah Brightman (SP choreographed by Trent with Vise's input); "Les Miserables" (last year's FS (choreographed by Doug Ladret, Julie Patterson)
Julia Vlassov/Drew Meekins: SP music: TBA; Titanic Symphony (FS); choreographer is Marina Zoueva
Keauna McLaughlin/Rockne Brubaker: "Moonlight Sonata" by Beethoven (SP); "Romeo & Juliet" by Prokofiev and Rota (last year's FS); choreographer is Dalilah Sappenfield

Tanith Belbin/Ben Agosto: Music TBA
Melissa Gregory/Denis Petukhov: Music TBA
Meryl Davis/Charlie White: OD TBA; "Eleanor's Dream/Eleanor Rigby" by The Beatles (FD); choreographers are Igor Shpilband, Marina Zoueva
Kimberly Navarro/Brent Bommentre: Music TBA
Lynn Kriengkrairut/Logan Giulietti-Schmitt: "Heyka" by Oleg Ponomarev and "Nane Tsokha" by Valentina Ponomareva (OD); "Verano Porteno" by Astor Piazzolla (FD); choreographers are Yasa Netchaeva, Iouri Tchesnitchenko

SENIOR B competitors

Derrick Delmore: "Malaguena" (last year's SP); FS music TBA; choreographers are himself, Shirley Hughes, Jill Shipstad Thomas
Shaun Rogers: "Battle on the Ice" from Alexander Nevsky by Prokofiev (last year's SP choreographed by Vitali Popkov); Music from the Grindhouse movie soundtrack (FS choreographed by Braden Overett)
Danielle Kahle: Music from "Kill Bill: Volume 1" (last year's SP choreographed by Alex Chang); Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor (FS choreographed by Cindy Stuart)
Megan Williams-Stewart: "It Ain't Necessarily So" by Gershwin; "Caravan" by Duke Ellington; "The Thrill is Gone" by B.B. King (last year's SP); "The Stone" by Andreas Vollenweider; "Beauty and the East" and "The Berber of Seville" by Bombay Dub Orchestra; "Tribal" by Benise (last year's FS)
Jennifer Wester/Daniil Barantsev: Fiddle Music & Country Waltz (OD); FD Music: TBA; choreographers are Angelika Krylova, Pasquale Camerlengo
Katy Taylor: Legends of the Fall soundtrack (last year's SP); Selections from "Freedom" by Michael W. Smith (FS); choreographers are Jana Conter and Mark Poole
Parker Pennington: Flamenco Mix (SP choreographed by Nikoli Morozov); FS music TBA
Nicholas LaRoche: Fiesta Flamenca (SP); Medley of "Unchained Melody," the love theme from the Robin Hood soundtrack, "and Unforgettable" (last year's FS)
Michelle Boulos: "The Hours" soundtrack (SP); "Swan Lake" by Tchaikovsky (FS); choreographer is Scott Brown

JUNIOR GRAND PRIX competitors

Rachael Flatt: "It Ain't Necessarily So" (from Porgy and Bess) by Gershwin (SP choreographed by Tom Dickson); FS music: TBA (a modern-sounding piano concerto, choreographed by Lori Nichol)
Juliana Cannarozzo: "Sleepwalk" (SP); "The Argentine Tango" (last year's FS); choreographers are Mark Mitchell and Jamie Isley
Melissa Bulanhagui: "Pink Panther" Remix (SP); Music from the Shall We Dance? and Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights soundtracks (last year's FS); choreographer is Karen Ludington
Mirai Nagasu:"I Got Rhythm" - variations for Piano and Orchestra by George Gershwin arranged by Fazil Say (SP); "Coppelia" ballet by Delibes (FS); choreographer is Lori Nichol
Blake Rosenthal: "Close Without Touching" from "Spirit of Olympia" by David Arkenstone (last year's SP); "Rondo Capriccioso" by Saint-Saens (FS); choreographers are Jill Cosgrove, Karl Kurtz
Alexe Gilles: "Windspirits" from Xotica's "Journey to the Heart," composed by René Dupéré, Elise Velle, etc. (SP); "Oceanic" by Vangelis (FS); choreographer is Catarina Lindgren
Chrissy Hughes: "Hymn to Hope" by Secret Garden (SP); Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in D major by E.W. Korngold (FS); choreographer is Corrie Martin
Angela Maxwell: "Fever" and "Take Five" by Dave Brubeck (SP); Finding Nemo soundtrack (FS); choreographer is Nick Traxler
Kristine Musademba: "Exodus" by Ernest Gold (SP); "Caravan" by Duke Ellington (FS); choreographers are Simone Grigorescu, Uschi Keszler

Tommy Steenberg: "Le Corsaire" by Riccardo Drigo (SP choreographed by Chris Conte); "Bolero" by Maurice Ravel (FS choreographed by Pasquale Camerlengo)
Eliot Halverson: "Libertango" by Bond (SP); "2046 Main Theme" by Shigeru Umebayashi, "Nostradamus" by Maksim Mrvica (FS); choreographer is Svetlana Kulikova
Brandon Mroz: "Night on Bald Mountain" by Modest Mussorgsky (SP choreographed by Kurt Browning); "King of the Forest" by Edvin Marton (FS choreographed by Tom Dickson)
Austin Kanallakan: "Beethoven's Last Night" by Trans-Siberian Orchestra (SP); TBA (FS); choreographer is Nikoli Morozov)
Curran Oi: "Phantom of the Opera" (SP choreographed by Jamie Isley); "Freedom" by Michael W. Smith (last year's FS, choreographed by Mark Mitchell)
Douglas Razzano: "Warsaw Concerto" by Richard Addinsell (SP); "Tosca" by Puccini (FS); choreographer is Doug Ladret
Adam Rippon: "Toccata & Fugue" by J.S. Bach (SP); "Moonlight Sonata" by Beethoven (FS); choreographer is Nikolai Morozov
Richard Dornbush: "La Virgen de la Macarena" by Genaro Nuñez (SP); Celtic medley (FS); choreographer is Braden Overett
Armin Mahbanoozadeh: "Symphonic Dances" by Rachmaninoff (SP); "Spartacus" by Khachaturian (FS); choreographer is Nathan Birch

Bianca Butler/Joseph Jacobsen: "Love Story" (SP); "El Sombrero de Tres Picos" by de Falla and "Concierto de Aranjuez" by Rodrigo (FS); choreographer is Renee Roca
Jessica Rose Paetsch/Jon Nuss: "Por una Cabeza" by Carlos Gardel (SP); "Capone" by Ronan Hardiman (FS); choreographer is Dalilah Sappenfield
Kaela Pflumm/Chris Pottenger: Amelie soundtrack (SP choreographed by Natalia Linichuk); Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Allegro Scherzando (last year's FS)
Meg Byrne/Nate Bartholomay: The theme from "Earth Dance" (SP); "Finlandia" by Sibelius (last year's FS); choreographer is Donna Helgenberg
Chelsi Guillen/Danny Curzon: "Adagio for Strings" by Samuel Barber (SP); The Legend of Zorro soundtrack by James Horner (FS); choreographer is Doug Ladret
Shantel Jordan/Steven Elefante: "Liebestraum" (SP); Bridge to Terabithia soundtrack (FS); choreographers are Diana Goolsbey, Marina Zoueva

Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates: "Kalinka" and "Russikie Napievi" by Balalaika (OD); "Luna" by Alessandro Safina (FD); choreographers are Iouri Tchesnitchenko, Iaroslava Netchaeva
Madison Hubbell/Keiffer Hubbell: German Polka and Yodel (OD); "Hope" by Apocalyptica Cult (FD); choreographers are Iouri Tchesnitchenko, Iaroslava Netchaeva
Piper Gilles/Timothy McKernan: Louisiana Blues - "St. James Infirmary" (OD choreographed by Mathew Gates); "Cinderella" by Prokofiev (FD choreographed by Tom Dickson)
Shannon Wingle/Ryan Devereaux: Jewish folk music (OD); "Concierto de Aranjuez" (FD); choreographer is Igor Shpilband
Pilar Bosley/John Corona: Turkish folk dance (OD by Natalia Linichuk); "Still Loving You" by the Scorpions and Berlin Orchestra (FD choreo by Pasquale Camerlengo)
Sara Bailey/Kyle Herring: Zorba the Greek (OD); Selections from the movies 300 and Chronicles of Narnia (FD); choreographers are Alexandr Kirsanov, Irina Romanova, Christie Moxley
Anastasia Cannuscio/Dean Copely: "Kalinka" (Russian folk music OD); Kill Bill soundtrack (FD); choreographer is Elena Garanina
Isabelle Cannuscio/Ian Lorello: African folk "Zulu chants" (OD); "Jive" from Edward Scissorhands soundtrack (FD); choreographers are Natalia Linichuk, Sasha Kirsanov
Madison Chock/Greg Zuerlein: "Dark Eyes" (OD); "West Side Story" (FD); choreographer is Igor Shpilband
Rachel Tibbetts/Collin Brubaker: "Korabushka" (OD); "Tosca" by Puccini; choreographer is Tom Dickson

TEAM C & RESERVE - SENIOR

Braden Overett: SP: TBD; Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack (last year's FS); Overett is his own choreographer
Christine Zukowski: SP Music TBA; "Phantom of the Opera" (FS); choreographers are Priscilla Hill, Peter Briccotto
Megan Hyatt: "Espana Cani" performed by Manhattan Pops Orchestra; "Deborah's Theme" from Once Upon a Time in America by Ennio Morricone, performed by Yo-Yo Ma and Roma Sinfonietta (FS); choreographers are Scott Brown, Susie Wynne Barth
Jordan Miller: "The Terminal" soundtrack (last year's SP choreographed by Vitali Popov); FS TBA
Geoffry Varner: Music TBA

TEAM C & RESERVE - JUNIOR
Alexander Johnson: Cello Concerto No. 1 in A minor by Camille Saint-Saens (last year's SP music); Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso by Camille Saint-Saens and Meditation from "Thais" by Jules Massenet (FS); choreographers are Sebastien Britten, Joan Orvis
Keegan Messing: "Fundamental" by Lesiem (SP); Gremlins soundtrack (FS); choreographer is Rory Flack Burghart
Carolyn-Ann Alba: "Love Story" (SP); "Salome Dance" (FS); choreographers are Wendy Burge, herself
Andrea Best/Trevor Young: "Malaguena" (SP); "Spartacus" (FS); choreographer is Marina Zoueva
Tracy Tanovich/Michael Chau: Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire soundtrack (SP); "The Snow Queen Suite" from The Nutcracker (FS); choreographers are Jim Peterson, Christine Hough Sweeney
Jaylyn Kelly/Gabe Woodruff: Mozart medley (SP); selections from the Henry V film soundtrack (FS); choreographer is Yuka Sato
Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani: Japanese (taiko) drum music (OD); a modern dance-style program to contemporary piano compositions (FD); choreographer is Tom Dickson

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
Uh-hu! Great job, Sylvia!!!

Some considerations on the Senior GP competitors (because I think I won't be able to watch the programs of the B and C skaters)

IMO, the interesting choices are these

SENIOR GRAND PRIX competitors
Caroline Zhang: "Spanish Gypsy" by Ray DeTone (SP choreographed by Tom Dickson);
Ashley Wagner: "Jealousy" (tango FS); choreographer is Jill Shipstad-Thomas
Jeremy Abbott: "Treat" by Carlos Santana (SP choreographed by Kurt Browning);
"Ghost Waltz" from the Mistletoe Bride ballet by Paul Chihara, "Jazz Suite Waltz" from the Eyes Wide Shut soundtrack, "River Waltz" from The Painted Veil soundtrack, "Masquerade Waltz" by Aram Khachaturian (FS choreographed by Tom Dickson)
Stephen Carriere: "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin (SP)
Brooke Castile/Ben Okolski: L'Arena" by Ennio Morricone from the Kill Bill Volume 2 soundtrack (SP)

What do you think?