2007/2008 Music & Choreography News | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2007/2008 Music & Choreography News

Fabulous list, Sylvia. I could comment on each one. No time at the moment.

I'm not so sure about how well suited "The Scorcerer's Apprentice' will be for Bebe, but whatever the 'Yellow River Concerto' is, with Lori and Branden, choreographing, it has to be great. btw, is this a Chinese composition about the Yalu River?

Joe

waxel

Final Flight
Sylvia thanks for the update!

Caroline is using the Schubert Ave Maria --- I prefer the Gounod version, but I'm sure shw would be lovely skating to either.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I'm not so sure about how well suited "The Scorcerer's Apprentice' will be for Bebe, but whatever the 'Yellow River Concerto' is, with Lori and Branden, choreographing, it has to be great. btw, is this a Chinese composition about the Yalu River?

Joe
Michelle Kwan used The Yellow River Concerto for her 95 SP. Here's a clip from YouTube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=LXrQFRPcvs8 Enjoy!!!

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks for the detailed update, Sylvia. I can't wait to see some of these - really can't wait to hear the cut from Kill Bill II and see what Brooke and Ben do with it.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Thanks Herm. I think Bebe will do well with this music. Never saw that skate of Michelle. How high she jumped in those days! Of coursse the lyricism in her skating was already there.

Joe

yeah, I can picture Bebe skating to that. I somtimes wish that bebe would pick slower music... maybe she is rushing too much and that is why she always messes up in the long. it is hard to skate to fast music for four minuites!!

Thanks Sylvia for doing all the work that i was going to do. So glad the hear that Castile and Olkoski are using Sherezade. great music... a warhorse i know.... but ican;t help it.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I must say i am dissipointed with Inouoe and Baldwins choices. I feel that they do not challange themselves at all with diffrent choices each year, and thier freeskates all pretty much look alike. Wagner does not sound very promising. The only porgram that i thought was pretty new and good was the modern firebird number a few years ago. Lately they have been doing classical medelys... blue costumes. i feel that they need somthing more challanging. Opinions?

also... Kimmie has choosen the feeling begins for her SP music.... not sure about how that will work. I love the music but i don't feel that kimmie could really live up to it and give the drama and passion that you hear in the music.

Last edited:

discoduck

On the Ice
Kimmie is doing The Feeling Begins? Add that to the list of songs that I am really tired of. Nothing against Kimmie but that music needs to die.

I am by no means an Inoue and Baldwin fan (well mostly not of Baldwin, I don't mind Rena so much) but I really liked their Magic Bird Of Fire short program. Actually wasn't that the year they used Beethoven's Last Night for their free skate? I liked both those programs. I'm curious to see what they will do with Wagner. Btw, I read that Pasha Grishuk was doing their programs this year. I'm not sure if it's short, long or both.

gio

Medalist
The Feeling Begins may be overused, but I love it. But, I don't know if it is a good choice for Kimmie. A skater that IMO isn't yet good nor in dramatic and passionate music nor in slow and lyrical music. The good choice for her SP IMO could be something pop, jazzy, something funny. She should try to express more her funny side. It could work for her and it will be something original and who knows, maybe even appreciated by the judges. A new style that could work for her more. My suggestions for her = Her priorities are certainly the 3/3 and the 3axel. She should work more on this and try less to be an ice princess. Work less on artistry, or better she can develop a different artistry. She can't compete in this department with Zhang, Yu Na and Mao who are miles ahead of her. She has some chances to beat those three (to various degrees) if she maximes her jumps (3axel and technically perfect 3/3s) and play with an original style.

Now I'm curious to know the musical choice for her LP.

Last edited:
The Feeling Begins is one of those pieces of music that does not relate to some pot boiler story. The skater must bring the drama to the audience with body language. Who besides Kwan can do that? Most figure skates are not capable of performing to music without a story. Maybe Yu Na. I dunno know.

Joe

Olderbear

Rinkside
I love Kimmie and I love The Feeling Begins, but this could be the Marriage from Hell. I certainly hope her coach and choreographer know what they're doing.

OTOH, who knows?

london_calling

On the Ice
Danielle Kahle's FS music for this season will be "Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor" according to her USFS bio.

Didn't Sasha skate to this music? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Kypma

Final Flight
Danielle Kahle's FS music for this season will be "Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor" according to her USFS bio.

Didn't Sasha skate to this music? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Sasha did use it for her Long Program during the 2002-2003 season.

Kypma

PS thanks HCOSurfer & london_calling for telling me what OTOH means :)

flying camel

Medalist
The Feeling Begins is one of those pieces of music that does not relate to some pot boiler story.

Joe

Can anyone tell some of us a skater in the past who skated to this music so that I can remember it? I wonder is it for her LP or SP. I hope it works. Didn't she say after last worlds that she may try to pick her own music this time?

Khale's music sounds like a good choice for her.