2007/2008 Music & Choreography News | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2007/2008 Music & Choreography News

carolinefan177

On the Ice
Also Grischuk and Platoff, 1997 free dance.

BTW, The Feeling Begins is the first song on the soundtrack of the 1988 Martin Scorcese film, The Last tempatition of Christ. The accompanying screenplay goes like this:

JESUS (V.O.)
The feeling begins. It's a light
tingling at first. Right on the top
of my head. Very tender. Like a
caress. Soft wings carrying me to
Paradise. Then the pain starts.

Now we see JESUS, the son of Mary, 28 years-old, sleeping
under an olive tree. The mid-morning sun (OVER-EXPOSED) shines
on his stubby face. He is dreaming.

JESUS (V.O.)
It feels like the bird has grabbed
me from behind. Just above the neck.
Talons slip underneath the skin and
work and claw their way up the back
of my neck. Then the real pain begins.
Each claw digs into the soft matter
behind my brain, and then across the
top of my head toward my eyes. Just
before they reach my eyes, they dig
down...

Jesus wakens. He looks around.

JESUS (V.O.)
And I remember. I have to make a
cross.

While he is still speaking he reaches up to touch the back
of his head, where the pain started. He pulls his fingers
away. There is blood on them.

emma

Record Breaker
The Feeling Begins is one of those pieces of music that does not relate to some pot boiler story. The skater must bring the drama to the audience with body language. Who besides Kwan can do that? Most figure skates are not capable of performing to music without a story. Maybe Yu Na. I dunno know.

Joe

I know a lot of people get tired of reading comments where Michelle is posited as the best at something, and it is no secret that I am a huge Kwan fan, BUT I really, really have to agree with this statement by Joe. This music is awesome, but I really have only seen one or two people skate to it convininingly and without leaving me feeling 'bleh' - and Kwan was definitely on the list - i think Browning was the other. Even when Baiul skated to in for some professional thing, I was like - yikes - too much slightly too risque body movement, little skating and just yicky.

I sincerely wish Kimmie great luck with this program, and maybe she will surprise us (ok, me), i am just really relieved that Evan appears to be getting a new short program.

carolinefan177

On the Ice
I know a lot of people get tired of reading comments where Michelle is posited as the best at something, and it is no secret that I am a huge Kwan fan, BUT I really, really have to agree with this statement by Joe. This music is awesome, but I really have only seen one or two people skate to it convininingly and without leaving me feeling 'bleh' - and Kwan was definitely on the list - i think Browning was the other. Even when Baiul skated to in for some professional thing, I was like - yikes - too much slightly too risque body movement, little skating and just yicky.

I sincerely wish Kimmie great luck with this program, and maybe she will surprise us (ok, me), i am just really relieved that Evan appears to be getting a new short program.

Totally agree!! Michelle rocks my socks!! Oh and yes...Thank heavens Evan is getting a new short program; it didn't really flow for me last season...no offense to the amazing Kurt Browning

london_calling

On the Ice
Megan Oster's, who will be skating at Grand Prix events, music for this season is "Sarabande" by Handel for her short program and Selections from the movie "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" for her free skate.

Totally agree!! Michelle rocks my socks!! Oh and yes...Thank heavens Evan is getting a new short program; it didn't really flow for me last season...no offense to the amazing Kurt Browning
Indeed! See my note on the Lori Nichol thread regarding choreographers and the importance of the personal addition of the skater.

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Can anyone tell some of us a skater in the past who skated to this music so that I can remember it? I wonder is it for her LP or SP. I hope it works. Didn't she say after last worlds that she may try to pick her own music this time?

Khale's music sounds like a good choice for her.

michelle kwan used if for her short. evan used it last year for his short. I couple of ice dancers have used it.... i can't remeber any names.

emma

Record Breaker
Can anyone tell some of us a skater in the past who skated to this music so that I can remember it? I wonder is it for her LP or SP. I hope it works. Didn't she say after last worlds that she may try to pick her own music this time?

Khale's music sounds like a good choice for her.

Someone at FSU posted a bunch of Youtube links to skaters who have used The Feeling Begins - I haven't watched the programs yet, but you might want to take a look.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49777&page=15
the poster is names Pickachuusb and it is #290

waxel

Final Flight
Oh dear. The Feeling Begins and begins and begins ... will it ever end? Seriously, enough already.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Vise and Trent's choices sound good.

But I hope that kimmie has a really good LP, becasue somthing tells me that this short program is going to be a egyptian nightmare. I can understand kimmie wanting to skate to somthing dramatic passionate, but did her coach really OK this choice. She has already done somthing arabian with queen of sheba. I have to agree with another poster in that yes, i actually liked the Flamenca Glacia program. Lori did a good job, but Kimmie was not able to carry it. She has no facial expressions whatsover and she only seemed to go through the motions. There was abosiultly nothing in her eyes no fire. She was supposed to be a passionate flamenco dancer. Not a sweet girl next door.

Kypma

Final Flight
I have to agree with another poster in that yes, i actually liked the Flamenca Glacia program. Lori did a good job, but Kimmie was not able to carry it. She has no facial expressions whatsover and she only seemed to go through the motions. There was abosiultly nothing in her eyes no fire. She was supposed to be a passionate flamenco dancer. Not a sweet girl next door.

I think that's exactly Kimmie's problem - she cannot relate to the music, and only does what she is told to do. If Lori tells her to turn her arm out with that precise step, she'll do it, but there's no feeling associated with the movement, she doesn't really feel the music. Either that, or she is so concentrated on the technical side that choreography is second for her. She really needs to add a personal touch to her performances, in my opinion.
I haven't watched any exhibition numbers of hers in a while, but does she relate more in those numbers?

Kypma

I think that's exactly Kimmie's problem - she cannot relate to the music, and only does what she is told to do. If Lori tells her to turn her arm out with that precise step, she'll do it, but there's no feeling associated with the movement, she doesn't really feel the music. Either that, or she is so concentrated on the technical side that choreography is second for her. She really needs to add a personal touch to her performances, in my opinion.
I haven't watched any exhibition numbers of hers in a while, but does she relate more in those numbers?Kypma
That's exactly what I am harping about and Kimmie is not the only one. There are other top skaters who follow the directions of the choreographer and add nothing of themselves to the performance. However, some have 3As and Quads and that's all one needs, nowadays.

Joe