2007/2008 Music & Choreography News | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2007/2008 Music & Choreography News

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
. She really needs to add a personal touch to her performances, in my opinion.
I haven't watched any exhibition numbers of hers in a while, but does she relate more in those numbers?

Kypma

no, not really. He music choices are not every good for exebition, but her most recent one... i think it was called "angels" was pretty good. not great but better than "keep holding on."

flying camel

Medalist
Her exhibition number this year was actually very good. She tried to put a lot of emotion into the performance. But I think she really loved that song she was skating too.

Zukowski FS to Phantom of the Opera "Oh My."!

Last edited:
Here is her 2005-06 exhibition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-6Wjn8lJeo

It was pretty much the same as her competitive programs, in terms of expression, IMHO. I agree that she made a lot of prograss in 2006-07.

I think we have to remember that we have been spoiled by skaters like Michelle, Sasha and Shizuka who continued skating well past their teenage years.

Kypma

Final Flight

It was pretty much the same as her competitive programs, in terms of expression, IMHO. I agree that she made a lot of prograss in 2006-07.

I think we have to remember that we have been spoiled by skaters like Michelle, Sasha and Shizuka who continued skating well past their teenage years.

Hm... It's not that bad, I think she seems happier in there than in her competitive programs, or maybe she just shows it more. I don't like her excessive arm movements, especially in the first part, where they're always moving but with no real reason.
One thing I noticed is that Kimmie has many jumps and spins in her exhibition programs, so really more athletic than Sasha's, who usually puts in a double axel, triple salchow, a few spins, 2 split jumps, and her spirals, but really connects with the music and audience, and that's how she (Sasha) wows everyone. Never in recent years has she put a triple lutz in her show programs!

Kypma

gio

Medalist
Kimmie is a funny girl. She could play with that characteristic of her in her programs. It will be all more natural. IMO, that will work. I just don't see her doing a passionate flamenco, or a dramatic Feeling Begins, nor a Swan Lake. Why Lori can't advice her better, I just can't understand. :no:

IMHO Lori Nichol is not so much trying to advise her as to challenge her.

Nichol did that with Michelle, too. Also Sale and Pelletier and Tim Goebel. She was continually tried to push them out of their confort zones.

gio

Medalist
IMHO Lori Nichol is not so much trying to advise her as to challenge her.

Nichol did that with Michelle, too. Also Sale and Pelletier and Tim Goebel. She was continually tried to push them out of their confort zones.

So we just have to wait and see if it will work. I doubt it, but you never know. I'm skeptical, because The Feeling Begins reminds me directly of that magical program Michelle did.

Anyway Kimmie didn't even find her comfort zone yet IMO. No need to go out of it, if she hasn't one. She have to find it first, then challenge herself.

Last edited:
Well, I think Kimmie's "comfort zone" is jumping about like a Jackrabbit, only ocassionaly acknowledging the music by waving her arms. I do think that Lori is forcing her to take at least a baby step in the other direction.

Last year she was obviously trying to pay more attention to presentation, with mixed but encouraging results -- but at the expense of jump consistency.

gio

Medalist
Last year she was obviously trying to pay more attention to presentation, with mixed but encouraging results -- but at the expense of jump consistency.

Certainly her priority is to find again her jump consistensy. Artistic or not, the jumps are the most important factor for the medal (her win at 05 Worlds is a good example).

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I'm skeptical, because The Feeling Begins reminds me directly of that magical program Michelle did.

I know. I love her expression in that program. And that moment when she lands the triple flip right on the horn music. Does kimmie think she can come close?

london_calling

On the Ice
Juliana Cannarozzo's (JGP competitor) music for the upcoming season will be "Sleepwalk" for her short program and "The Argentine Tango" for her free skate.

Kypma

Final Flight
Well...is it sport or is it art? ;)

Sport:
Yes, we have the jumps, spins, step sequences, spirals, etc.

Art:
Music is playing, and arms and facial expressions augment interest in the performance (note the use of the word performance).

So:
If it was only a sport, why bother with the programs and music? Just make skaters execute the same jumps one after the other, same spins, and then compare who did it best. No need for all the fluffy transitions between elements, or for music in the background.
If it was only art, we wouldn't bee seeing so many falls and injuries, and programs would have fewer jumps and... just plain stroking around, with a couple of arm movements and facial expressions? Forget the quad, and all technical requirements, and entertain the public (kind of like well chosen exhibitions).

I say it's a mixture of both... it's a sport where presentation and acting skills in some cases are helful, if not necessary at the top level. You can't really seperate both components of figure skating... sport is judged in the technical score, art in the PCS (with the exception of skating skills...) ;)

Kypma

cianni

On the Ice
Kimmie

Kimmie is improving and working on her artistry. The program is like last yrs. same movements and looks very similar. The jumps are not going well at this point and no axel at all. This may be a timing issue but she is missing most of the jumps. I havent seen the whole program just parts. I think she will be OK as time goes on. I dont think smooth movement and flow comes easy for her. There is a tendency to think her way through the music not to move with the music which makes her movements choppy and stiff. She is really working on that daily. Will keep a close eye on her progress. Kimmie is a very sweet girl and just as she is on TV she is in person.

Cianni

I haven't been spoiled by the above over 20 skaters. They should be agedly in the best for showbiz. I would say Kimmie at her age is better than Lipinsky, Baiul and Yamaguchi.

joe

sk8addict

On the Ice
Well, I think Kimmie's "comfort zone" is jumping about like a Jackrabbit, only ocassionaly acknowledging the music by waving her arms. I do think that Lori is forcing her to take at least a baby step in the other direction.

At the end of the year she said that she tried something new last year and it didn't work out so she was going back to what she new she could do. I took that to mean she wasn't interested in doing choreography any more.

herehere!

Spectator
They say YU-NA's LP is mixed with 10 songs from Miss Saigon. I hope it includes some singings, chorus. Anyway, it will be quite different style. The coaching team is planing to show her variety of expression skills in each year.

By the way, has someone already mention that Yuna's exhibition music is "Just a Girl" by Gwen Stefani? I think that's a really cool pick, considering lyrics like this is slightly more angsty and tougher than what female skaters often seem to go for:

"Take a good looks at me / Just your typical prototype / Oh...I've had it up to here! / Oh...am I making myself clear? / I'm just a girl in the world...That's all that you'll let me be!"

I can't wait to see a completly different side of Yuna with this one!

And here are some interviews with Brian Orser and David Wilson talking about Yuna's new programs:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XLoPTvmX6l4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mBab4gNt4u8

(ps - this is one of my first postings in this forum, which i always love visiting... hello and thanks to everyone here.:thumbsup:)

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Emily Hughes:
I've Got Rhythm SP
Carmina Burana LP

Her SP is the same as Mirai's SP. That'll be interesting to see at nationals.