2007/2008 Music & Choreography News | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2007/2008 Music & Choreography News

Nigel

On the Ice
IMHO Lori Nichol is not so much trying to advise her as to challenge her.

Nichol did that with Michelle, too. Also Sale and Pelletier and Tim Goebel. She was continually tried to push them out of their confort zones.

I agree with Mathman...I think Lori tries to challenge ALL the skaters she works with...it is up to the skater to take the choreography that has been presented to them, and bring it to life as Lori hopes that that can.

Of coure it is up to the performer to do something with the choreography. That's what makes them stand-out.

I've seen scores of Swan Lakes in my time on stage and everyone was different yet they all had the same choreography.

I've been saying for years that the fault lies in the skater not in the star coarches or choreographers.

Joe

McWicked

On the Ice
At the end of the year she said that she tried something new last year and it didn't work out so she was going back to what she new she could do. I took that to mean she wasn't interested in doing choreography any more.
I was kind of startled by that brief remark in Kimmie's interview, too.

I don't think she really meant it that way. But on the spur of the moment she must have been thinking, hey, in 2005-06 I concentrated on landing all my jumps and I won the World Championship. In 2006-07 I worked hard on choreography, expression, softening my arms, blah, blah, blah, and what did it get me?

Or maybe she is just looking at the points. If she raises her PCSs from 7.75 to 8.75 in the LP, that's an extra 8 points. If she misses her triple Lutz/triple toe, that's leaving 10 points on the table.

McWicked

On the Ice
I was kind of startled by that brief remark in Kimmie's interview, too.

I don't think she really meant it that way. But on the spur of the moment she must have been thinking, hey, in 2005-06 I concentrated on landing all my jumps and I won the World Championship. In 2006-07 I worked hard on choreography, expression, softening my arms, blah, blah, blah, and what did it get me?

Or maybe she is just looking at the points. If she raises her PCSs from 7.75 to 8.75 in the LP, that's an extra 8 points. If she misses her triple Lutz/triple toe, that's leaving 10 points on the table.

Kimmie's actually workin on a triple lutz/triple loop. I think this year she'll focus more on her jumps & a better SP. Besides,there's no longer the burden of bein a reignin world champ :clap:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Emily Hughes:
I've Got Rhythm SP
Carmina Burana LP

Her SP is the same as Mirai's SP. That'll be interesting to see at nationals.

I think that I Got Rythm is a pretty good choice. I am not fimiliar with the music for her LP... i assume by the name it is spanish? Not too sure if that is for the best. Carmen was okay.... but a far cry from imbodying the character.

if those choices are true about Alissa then they are perfect. She has already done swan lake.... but "the swan" is an ever better fit. Great job alissa!

gio

Medalist
I think that I Got Rythm is a pretty good choice. I am not fimiliar with the music for her LP... i assume by the name it is spanish? Not too sure if that is for the best. Carmen was okay.... but a far cry from imbodying the character.

if those choices are true about Alissa then they are perfect. She has already done swan lake.... but "the swan" is an ever better fit. Great job alissa!

It's Latin! If you are interested take a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmina_Burana
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmina_Burana_(Orff)

This music was used by Anissina/Peizerat and Frederic Dambier among others. It's a little bit apocalyptic IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeROOD8bwqY

Isn't it too apocalyptic for Emily maybe??

Last edited:
Kimmie's actually workin on a triple lutz/triple loop. I think this year she'll focus more on her jumps & a better SP. Besides,there's no longer the burden of bein a reignin world champ :clap:
I will expect an improvement in the performance this season but that triple lutz/triple loop sounds perfect for her needs

Frankly I thought Miki got a way with high scores because she put so many jumps in the latter part of the program. She has stamina. Her performance, imo, was nothing to write home about.

Mao is the big jumper here. Her 3A will also register in the PCS scores subjectively. I'm expecting this season that she will get away from the 'little girl' look.

Yu Na's lyrical grace may be hard for Kimmie to overtake.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Carmina Burana has been done mostly by male skaters and ice dancers. I think maybe Emily chose it because she feels it fits her powerful style. The problem is that is she can't skate a clean program, her performance is way overpowered by the music. At least it isn't ballet music again.

Her new coaching arrangement is probably the reason for the switch.

It's unfortunate that she is skating to the same SP music as Mirai Nagasu. They will certainly skate the programs with completely different styles.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's unfortunate that she is skating to the same SP music as Mirai Nagasu. They will certainly skate the programs with completely different styles.

better that than one trying to mimic the other's style...

that's what's so great about being able to interpret the music, there's not one set right or wrong way! :) :rock:

beritaz

Spectator
Just a Girl on Ice show in Japn

By the way, has someone already mention that Yuna's exhibition music is "Just a Girl" by Gwen Stefani? I think that's a really cool pick, considering lyrics like this is slightly more angsty and tougher than what female skaters often seem to go for:

"Take a good looks at me / Just your typical prototype / Oh...I've had it up to here! / Oh...am I making myself clear? / I'm just a girl in the world...That's all that you'll let me be!"

I can't wait to see a completly different side of Yuna with this one!

And here are some interviews with Brian Orser and David Wilson talking about Yuna's new programs:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XLoPTvmX6l4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mBab4gNt4u8

(ps - this is one of my first postings in this forum, which i always love visiting... hello and thanks to everyone here.:thumbsup:)

They anounced YU-NA KIM is scheduled to be on the ice show in Japan 14th Jul, and she will present "Just a Girl" there. I hope she could show her new LP, Miss Saigon, Piano Concerto version.

netnuts

Match Penalty
zhang & zhang

I read somewhere zhang & zhang are using the soundtrack of a Chinese film 'myth' for their long program. They are now creating the program with an American choreographer in Beijing. Not sure the name of the choreographer, maybe the same one of their past programs.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
perhaps Renee Roca? has she been their choreographer before? I know she helped out with S/Z and P/T

netnuts

Match Penalty
perhaps Renee Roca? has she been their choreographer before? I know she helped out with S/Z and P/T

Don't kno. I read somewhere long time ago, a former American ice dancer has been Z/Z's choreographer for a while. S/Z, P/T and Z/Z did not share choregraphers in the past. They all used different ones.

I am not sure this choreographer is particuarly well known though. It seems he or she will also help choreograph some other Chinese skaters' programs this season.

BTW, Chenjiang Li will also use 'Yellow River Concert' for his short program(is Bebe using this one?). I don't believe that's really a good choice though.

I checked Z/Z's ISU bio, their previous choreographer was 'Gorsha Sur', anybody has any idea?

Last edited:

dlarry1

Rinkside
Rene Roca and Gorsha Sur were American ice dancers (but if I recall correctly, never competed at Olys because of citizenship issues?)

flying camel

Medalist
Well those do sound like good choices of music for Alissia. I love west side story. I may be in 7th heaven this season. I can't wait to see it.

Well everyone has their 2 cents about Kimmie's comments after worlds last year. I felt she was saying that she was basicaly skating to music & doing some choreography she did not like. I realy think she was referring to her SP. It was ugly and everyone knows it. I think she wants to be more involved in picking out her music and choreographers. I think she liked her LP. She is still working wih Lori. It was that Morosov crap that did not go over well.

Also I don't think triple luz/triple loop is a good choice for her. Why doesn't she just perfect the Lutz/toe combination? The loop is her weakest triple.

Last edited: