Thread: Are spectators allowed at Liberty Summer Competition?

Are spectators allowed at Liberty Summer Competition?

Are spectators allowed in club competitions? Ashley Wagner's website indicates that she plans to attend Liberty Summer Competition, the same one that Rachael Flatt won last year, and which many other senior ladies and men competitors at '07 Nationals also attended.

It suddenly struck me that it'd be lots of fun to go see it in person, since the rink is only a bit over an hour from my home. Does anyone know what the spectating policies are at this competition, or in club competitions in general?

Rinkside
    Check the Liberty website.
    Usually you pay admission and your in. These competitions usually charge around $5/day in canada. I looked quickly and did not see anything about admission fees but it should be reasonable.

Custom Title
    The public is welcomed at Liberty, and the competition is well attended. Usually, you pay a minimal fee (it was $10/person/day for last year's Regionals at the same rink, but Liberty was much less).

I usually go to Middle Atlantics at Chelsea Piers in Manhattan. If you just walk in looking like a family member of a skater, nobody questions you for a fee.

Last year I saw Wagner, Firth, Musademba, Rippon, and Johnny Weir was there awarding the medals to the winners. Lang andTcherneychev did an exhibition which, imo, was the best dance I have ever seen.

If a club competition is in your neighborhood, I would say GO.

Joe

Liberty is free. And yes, they allow spectators.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I usually go to Middle Atlantics at Chelsea Piers in Manhattan. If you just walk in looking like a family member of a skater, nobody questions you for a fee.
    Excuse me? I'm sorry, but that is out of line to encourage people to "pretend" to be a family member of a skater just to avoid a nominal fee.

LOCs work hard to put on these events, which are expensive to run and often do not turn much of a profit (if any) or run at a loss... and you are too cheap to support the event and pay even just $10 for your enjoyment of it?

I don't want to stir up trouble, but that just struck me the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Erica Lee View Post
    Excuse me? I'm sorry, but that is out of line to encourage people to "pretend" to be a family member of a skater just to avoid a nominal fee.

LOCs work hard to put on these events, which are expensive to run and often do not turn much of a profit (if any) or run at a loss... and you are too cheap to support the event and pay even just $10 for your enjoyment of it?

I don't want to stir up trouble, but that just struck me the wrong way.
    I concur with what you are saying but I walked up to someone who looked liked they were collecting money and she said it wasn't necessary. The money ($10) was never an issue with me. The next day I just walked in. No problem.

What you said about pretending was said in jest because I didn't have to pay even when I tried.

Joe

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    What you said about pretending was said in jest because...
    Joe
    I seconded. For a guy who's willing to spend thousands to go to Tokyo, I doubt you would have any problem in paying the concession.

Custom Title
    My sister went to Liberty last summer. I just checked with her and the only thing you had to pay was if you wanted a program with a list of competitors. She said the only time she had to pay was at Regionals, and then it was $10 per day per person. BTW IceWorks (where Liberty is held) won't be the site for this year's South Atlantic Regionals. It's going to be in York PA this year.

She said the food concession there (at IceWorks) is excellent, but be sure to bring a warm sweater and a cushion to sit on. Those metal benches are cold and hard!

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    there is no fee for any club competition that i have ever been to.

Wow, thanks everyone for all the great advice! I'm really looking forward to going now.

Custom Title
    When does the competition take place?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    When does the competition take place?
    Liberty 2007 is July 17-21 in Aston, PA. I'll start a general information thread, including relevant links, on upcoming major summer (club) competitions in the Announcements forum soon (following the revised GS posting guidelines -- see: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...75&postcount=5 )
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-18-2007 at 08:27 PM.

Custom Title
    Sylvia you are just the best.