Yao Mathman, congrats your girls won

E

eltamina

Yao Mathman, congrats your girls won

Yao (as in Bin Yao or Yao Ming) Mathman

Hilary Hahn, and Renee Flemming won. I don't know about Anoushka. :D

launch.yahoo.com/read/new...tID=212353

BEST ENGINEERED ALBUM, CLASSICAL

Michael Bishop, engineer (Robert Spano & Norman Mackenzie) - Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony (Sym. No. 1)

PRODUCER OF THE YEAR, CLASSICAL

Robert Woods - A Celtic Spectacular, LAGQ Latin, Scary Music, Sibelius: Sym. No. 2/Tubin: Sym. No. 5, The Sound Of Glory - Great Hmns Of Faith And Inspiration

BEST CLASSICAL ALBUM

Robert Spano, conductor; Norman MacKenzie, chorus director; Thomas C. producer (Christine Goerke, soprano & Brett Polegato, baritone; Atlanta Sym. Orch. Cho.; Atlanta Sym. Orch.) - Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony (Sym. No. 1)

BEST ORHESTRAL PERFORMANCE

Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor (San Francisco Sym.) - Mahler: Symphony No. 6

BEST OPERA RECORDING

Daniel Barenboim, conductor; Jane Eaglen, Thomas Hampson, Waltraud Meier, Rene Pape & Peter Seiffert; Christopher Classen, producer (Chor der Deutschen Staatsoper Berlin; Staatskapelle Berlin) - "Wagner: Tannhauser"

BEST CHORAL PERFORMANCE

Robert Spano, conductor; Norman MacKenzie, chorus director; Thomas C. producer (Christine Goerke, soprano & Brett Polegato, baritone; Atlanta Sym. Orch. Cho.; Atlanta Sym. Orch.) - Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony (Sym. No. 1)

BEST INSTRUMENTAL <span style="color:red;font-size:medium;">SOLOIST</span>(S) PERFORMANCE (WITH ORCHESTRA)

Sir Neville Marriner, conductor; <span style="color:red;font-size:medium;">Hilary Hahn, violin</span> (Academy of St. Martin In The Fields) - "Brahms/Stravinsky: Violin Concertos"

<span style="color:red;font-size:medium;">Note this is for the soloist, not the band</span>

BEST CHAMBER MUSIC PERFORMANCE

Takacs Quartet - Beethoven: String Quartets ("Razumovsky" Op. 59, 1-3; "Harp" Op. 74)

BEST SMALL ENSEMBLE PERFORMANCE (with or without Conductor)

Joseph Jennings, conductor; Chanticleer (Handel & Haydn Society Of Boston) - "Tavener: Lamentations And Praises"

BEST CLASSICAL VOCAL PERFORMANCE

<span style="color:red;font-size:medium;">Renee Fleming, soprano </span> (Patrick Summers; Coro del Maggio Musicale Fiorentino; Orch. Of St. Luke's) - Bel Canto (Bellini, Donizetti, Rossini, Etc.)

www.towerrecords.com/prod...id=2711826
BEST CLASSICAL CONTEMPORARY COMPOSITION

Sir John Tavener (Chaticleer; Joseph Jennings; Handel & Haydn Society Of Boston) - Tavener: Lamentations And Praises

BEST CLASSICAL CROSSOVER ALBUM

Andre Previn, conductor (London Sym. Orch.) - Previn Conducts Korngold (Sea Hawk; Captain Blood, Etc.)

Edited to add:
Instrumental Soloist Performance (without Orchestra): "Chopin: Etudes, Op. 10 & Op. 25," Murray Perahia, piano

M

mathman444

Re: Yao Mathman, congrats your girls won

So now I have three more to put on my "must have" list. Evidently the Vaughan Williams work is the big winner. To tell the truth, I have never heard this symphony, or much of anything by Vaughan Williams. Have you heard it?

But for sure I'll try Bel Canto. I now have so many "my girls" I can't keep up with them all.

And I will definitely get the Murray Perahia cd. I have his 1999 record Songs Without Words (Mendelsohn, plus some Schubert) -- it was overwhelming. I sent it to Lori Nichol with some suggestions for Michelle :lol: -- *sigh*, back in the day.

As for the Chopin Etudes, I have most of these by Horowitz. It will be interesting to see how Parahia measures up.

Mathman

E

eltamina

Yao Mathman

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I now have so many "my girls" I can't keep up with them all.[/quote]

Lets sing in unison Yao Mathman, a blessing on your head, you will have many son in laws like no on ever saw....

Sunrise, sunset.....

Vaughan Williams is a bit under rated. I like him, I have never listened to anything by VW that I don't like. How about try this:

www.towerrecords.com/prod...id=1067708

Lark ascending was Angela Nik's 99 sp. BTW, a radio announcer once comment that Lark Ascending is so beautiful that someday when it is time for him to meet his creator, he wants to drift into the blessed existence listening to Lark.

Variation on a theme by Tallis is very spiritual, and moving.

Greensleeves was Michelle's 1995 exhibition program. It was a joyful piece for her. Remember she skated the only program worthy of standing O, and ended off the podium. Remember the interview? " It does not matter how I placed, as long as I feel so good in my heart."

Then she gave us a beautiful program Greensleeves (oh the pretty lavender dress and a big fat pony tail), and she finished the program with a huge smile.

Ah... Sunrise sunset, Mushu's little girl is all grown up and saving China now.

I think you will like the VW symphonies too.

Chopin etude: too bad lori didn't listen to you, but your other little girl AP won junior world skating to a Chopin etude. I guess you watched her skating to the same program at SA.

M

mathman444

Re: Yao Mathman

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Then she gave us a beautiful program Greensleeves (oh the pretty lavender dress and a big fat pony tail), and she finished the program with a huge smile.[/quote]kwanshrine.tripod.com/images/9507217.jpg

Sunrise, sunset.

Mathman

PS. If this link doesn't work, copy and paste it into the address bar.

R

rgirl181

Re: Yao Mathman

Murray Perahia kicks a$$ with the Chopin Etudes and Preludes. I have an old vinyl recording, but for my money Murray is the best.

Lark Ascending has been used for a number of dance pieces and when choreographed well, it is absolutely breathtaking.
Rgirl

M

mathman444

Re: Yao Mathman, congrats your girls won

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"Hilary Hahn, and Renee Flemming won. I don't know about Anoushka."[/quote]No, she was nominated in the "world music" category, but didn't win.

But Ravi Shankar's other daughter, Norah Jones, won the whole shebang.

www.usatoday.com/tech/web...ones_x.htm

I didn't know that Norah Jones was Ravi Shankar's daughter, did you? (Ok, I'd never heard of Norah Jones until yesterday. But I guess she's hot stuff.) Let's see...she's 23, he's 82...I have a new hero!

Mathman

E

eltamina

the Jones and Shankar girls

<span style="color:red;">Edited for factual accuracy, after talking to my Indian friends</span>

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I didn't know that Norah Jones was Ravi Shankar's daughter, did you? (Ok, I'd never heard of Norah Jones until yesterday. But I guess she's hot stuff.) Let's see...she's 23, he's 82...I have a new hero![/quote]

Anoushka is 2 years younger than Norah JOnes. Ravi Shankar married and divorced Jones' mother. It took a while, he eveutually married Anoushka's mother. The girls did not grow up in the same household, but they have a good relationship.