Yu-Na Kim: Are all her problems at bay? | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim: Are all her problems at bay?

zephyrskates

On the Ice
since all the hoopla that errupted out regarding kim's comments in an article...
i was just wondering if anyone knows how yuna is doing??
does she still have problems with her boots??
how about her back??

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
good question. i assume that she is on the mend but not 100%.

feraina

Record Breaker
At MK forum, someone translated one of Yu-na's interviews from end of last year.
http://www.mkforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16552&goto=nextnewest

I was surprised to learn that her boots/skates problems were so severe last summer that she started hating skating and wanted to quit. I'm also a little sad to hear that she seems to have her heart set on leaving competitive skating in 2010. We don't often have elite figure skaters quit at 19 or younger, unless they win OGM -- maybe that's what she's planning on? :) I will miss her when she leaves.

OTOH, given all her health problems and a general sense of fragility about her, perhaps 19 is the right time to go. She reminds me a little of the main character from Moulin Rouge (incidentally her SP the last couple of seasons): strong and fragile at the same time.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
I wonder how long other skaters will stay in the sport.

I think this will be the last season for Emily Hughes. I predict that she finishes 4th at Nationals, only gets to go to Worlds because Caroline Zhang is inelligible, doesn't make the final group at Worlds, realizes she will never get a medal at Worlds (or Olympics if she were to keep going), and decides to turn all of her focus to her Harvard education.

I expect Mao to stay in until 2014, unless she has problems with injuries. She seems to really love skating .

All the other top Japanese girls - probably just 2010 (certainly for Suguri).

Kimmie - probably 2010.

Carolina Kostner - 2010.

~Z

feraina

Record Breaker
I agree with your predictions. Mao seems to love skating so much just for its own sake, and not ONLY because she's talented and successful. And besides, she's already told reporters that she wants to have a career as illustrious as Michelle's, and maybe even more so! So maybe she'll stay not only for 2014 (23), but 2018 (27)! Here's hoping she'll stays injury-free despite all those crazy jumps she's practicing. ;)

So much is still unknown, but I think Caroline, Mirai, and Ashley are all likely to beat Emily, plus maybe one of the other top skaters (Bebe, Alissa) will finally pull it together and skate clean for once. Emily is likely to place as low as sixth, and still get to go to Worlds. I agree this is likely the final season for her. She'll realize after this year that it'll be nearly impossible for her to even go to Worlds.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
So much is still unknown, but I think Caroline, Mirai, and Ashley are all likely to beat Emily, plus maybe one of the other top skaters (Bebe, Alissa) will finally pull it together and skate clean for once. Emily is likely to place as low as sixth, and still get to go to Worlds. I agree this is likely the final season for her. She'll realize after this year that it'll be nearly impossible for her to even go to Worlds.

Why send Emily out to pasture when skaters like Bebe and Alissa have been skating for the same (or longer) on the senior circuit and not had anywhere near the success of Emily? Should Bebe hang out her skates too since she's not even managed to make it to worlds yet and given the force of the juniors its even more of a virtual impossiblity than it is for Emily.

Ant

Sulphur

Spectator
I really want to see her new gala! Well we could have watched it unless she didn't resign to present at Carnival On Ice..

Oh and Yu-Na sent her letter to her fans today!
She said:

Recently I'm working out for 3~4 hours and training the techniques 1 hour with my coach(Brian Orser) everyday. Also I train my skating skills and spins 2 times a week. With David Wilson, I'm practising my new programmes for 1~2 hours a day.
When I'm not skating, sometimes I play tennis, surf the net and studying English. On weekends I take some rest or go out, and on sundays I go to library and study English. It's not easy but I'm having fun. It's good to do what I want, not just training.
I heard many people's worrying how I'm doing with my injuries. My back is not a big trouble when training now, but in case of relapse I'm still getting the regular treatments. Also I'm avoiding to do some movements that might hurt my back.

(kinda rough touch on those translations but quite accurate I think)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I wonder how long other skaters will stay in the sport.

I think this will be the last season for Emily Hughes. I predict that she finishes 4th at Nationals, only gets to go to Worlds because Caroline Zhang is inelligible, doesn't make the final group at Worlds, realizes she will never get a medal at Worlds (or Olympics if she were to keep going), and decides to turn all of her focus to her Harvard education.

I expect Mao to stay in until 2014, unless she has problems with injuries. She seems to really love skating .

All the other top Japanese girls - probably just 2010 (certainly for Suguri).

Kimmie - probably 2010.

Carolina Kostner - 2010.

~Z

suguri might not even last that long and kimmie maybe longer. mao really seems to love skating. you can see that right away. But yes, i can belive that about Yu-na. I don't see the joy at all in her skating, it seems like work for her. maybe that's just because she is in a lot of pain when she skates... but you never really see her smile. I get the sensation that she is under a lot of pressure form family, country etc to do well and make korea a player in the world of skating....

jaejang2001

Match Penalty
I really want to see her new gala! Well we could have watched it unless she didn't resign to present at Carnival On Ice..

She said:

Recently I'm working out for 3~4 hours and training the techniques 1 hour with my coach(Brian Orser) everyday. Also I train my skating skills and spins 2 times a week. With David Wilson, I'm practising my new programmes for 1~2 hours a day.
When I'm not skating, sometimes I play tennis, surf the net and studying English. On weekends I take some rest or go out, and on sundays I go to library and study English. It's not easy but I'm having fun. It's good to do what I want, not just training.
I heard many people's worrying how I'm doing with my injuries. My back is not a big trouble when training now, but in case of relapse I'm still getting the regular treatments. Also I'm avoiding to do some movements that might hurt my back.

This is lakewood's diffrent translation from FSU forum.

In an e-mail interview with a Korean fan-site, Yuna revealed her daily life. She spends 3 hrs everyday for physical training, 1 hr practice with Orser, and 1-2 hrs for chorreography with D. Wilson. She also practices twice a week with each of T. Wilson and Astrid. In leisure time, she enjoys badminton or internet. Weekends, she takes rest or makes an excursion, and Sunday with English tutor. Overall, she enjoys her life in Canada. She feels no back pain. But she is very cautious and physical therapy is still going on.

She likes many male figure skaters including Buttle, Weir, verner, Takahasi, .... According to her, the most beautiful element in figure skating is inabauer, spiral, and such elements that requires flexibility. ........

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
According to her, the most beautiful element in figure skating is inabauer, spiral, and such elements that requires flexibility.

It's a shame that her back problems derailed her progress on that front. She used to have a nicer ina bauer and bielmann, but since she started having back problems, she hasn't had much stretch on those elements. And she says that she's now avoiding practicing these moves...

guru

Rinkside

She said:

http://dcinside.com/webdc/dcnews/news/etc_list.php?code=succeed&id=7739&curPage=&s_title=&s_body=&s_name=&s_que=

Here's an original article of the translation.
Also can see some enjoyable pics. :laugh:

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Nice photo of her in the blue dress -- very balletic. Except she needs to point her toes. ;)

_Ladybug_

On the Ice
Yuna is,in my humbe opinion, the most beautiful girl who ever competed figure skating. Beautiful pictures.