Justlooking

Rinkside
Here's a link on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_muYvY3kjIg
where you can see
- a triple loop , triple loop 1:40
- a triple flip, triple toe
- trying to do a True Lutz 2:04
- double axel - sliding on one foot - double axel

What jumb combinations do you think she will do next season?
Do you think that she will change the last double axel in a triple axel?

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Nice. I'm looking forward to her 3L/3L and 3A/3T combinations (presumably that 3F/3T will eventually evolve into a 3A/3T)! I think that 2A/glide/2A sequence must be an exercise for something, maybe the prelude to doing a combination jump after 3A.

I really like her positive, relaxed, confident attitude. You have the feeling that she's bound to succeed, and even if she doesn't, she will bounce back right away. :clap:

satorare

Match Penalty
3Lo-3Lo is not efficient in terms of maximizing points. Probably the purpose of practicing this is to strengthen her loop jumps, ultimately to realize the quad loop. Besides that,3Lo-3Lo is impressive to watch and it could be useful at exhibitions.

3F-3T might be a preparation for 3A-3T. And having various combinations will help saving points. For example, when a planned 3A-3T resulted in 3A-2T, she can make an instant combination by adding 3T to the later 3F.

Maybe something like this..

3A-2T or 3A-3T
3A or "4Lo"
3F
2A
3F-3T or 3F-2Lo
3Lz
3Lo-2Lo-2Lo

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
I can't imagine the 3A/3T (or 4Loop) ever being reliable for her. I think she should go with this jump layout:

3Axel/2toe/2loop
3Lutz
3Axel
----------
3Flip/3Loop
2Axel/3Toe
3Sal
3Flip

~Z

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
thanks for posting!

she looks so tall and grown up. Funny, i saw her coach at toyota sports center yesterday... for the summer camp. i wonder if mao came down too. I agree that the 3 loop 3 loop is probabaly just to strengthen her loop jumps. if they are working on a quad loop then she will need a killer triple.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the link. Mao looks in great shape and boy can she jump. Her jumps look effortless. She seems to be a couple of of inches taller than last season but the growth spurt has not affected her jumps at all. I am looking forward to seeing her compete this season it should be exciting. IMO All of the other ladies will be trying to cach Mao and YuNa.

If Mao can do half of the jumps that everyone is predicting for her she will be unbeatable. :yes:

bibi

On the Ice
it looks like she will do "brakets-triple lutz-double loop-double loop" !

ks777

Record Breaker
the japanese tv station mentioned that Mao is doing a backward power pull before every jump is to strengthen her legs for more power.

antmanb

Record Breaker
She is really starting to clean that lutz up now. I guess the change in rules over the summer has made some skaters take note.

I think all of the edge pulls before the jumps is a way of really highlighting the take off edges for her. She's had a tendancy these past few season to enter a lot of her jumps from a RFI mohawk and getting her to work in different edge pulls before jumps can only help her hit the jumps.

The triple loop/triple loop doesn't look as impressive to me as the triple flip/triple loop and doesn't bring as many points so i'd say she's better off sticking to it on the back of the triple flip.

The triple toes looked perfect to me. No sign of her practising the sal though?

Ant

Sulphur

Spectator
It seems she'll definitely go for 3A! She looks incredibly strong and also prettier than the last season, maybe she've become a few inches taller than before? Look how she makes those jumps look so easy. And that 2A-snake sequence-2A is very interesting. Anyways she makes me expecting this coming season more and more!
Oh and I really hope she does the clean lutz next season because I only see flutz in this video.. but It's still summer and there's lots and lots of time to build up for it!

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
It seems she'll definitely go for 3A! She looks incredibly strong and also prettier than the last season, maybe she've become a few inches taller than before? Look how she makes those jumps look so easy. And that 2A-snake sequence-2A is very interesting. Anyways she makes me expecting this coming season more and more!
Oh and I really hope she do the clean lutz next season because I only see flutz in this video.. but It's still summer and there's lots and lots of time to build up for it!

The triple that she did still rocked back to inside edge - but one that was much shorter than last season. The two or three she popped were from a clean outside edge...hence the pop? It is a much harder jump to do correctly off the outside edge.

My bet is that under competition pressure and nerves the muscle memory of the flutz will kick in. Points-wise it's better to land a triple flutz than to step out of a popped double lutz.

Ant

guru

Rinkside
Here's a link on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_muYvY3kjIg
where you can see
- a triple loop , triple loop 1:40
- a triple flip, triple toe
- trying to do a True Lutz 2:04
- double axel - sliding on one foot - double axel

What jumb combinations do you think she will do next season?
Do you think that she will change the last double axel in a triple axel?

Thanks a lot for posting!!

She seems to be in good shape.

Love to see her effortless 3A jumps.:)

Last edited:
To use a familiar GS distinction, my PREDICTION (not HOPE) is that she will be unbeatable and will have the next MK-level blockbuster career, just as she hopes. Others have to work and get injured, Mao just floats and laughs. I'm sort of kidding, but that's really what it looks like. :cool:

satorare

Match Penalty
Kwan was not unbeatble in technical merits.
She ALWAYS lost when her main rivals skated to their potentials (US nationals not considered).

mizu_iro

Final Flight
I think it's possible for Mao to do that. She seems to, as you said, "float" on these landings...it's hard to imagine her getting injured.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Kwan was not unbeatble in technical merits.
She ALWAYS lost when her main rivals skated to their potentials (US nationals not considered).

yeah, but they never beat her clean, did they?

Michelle wasn't an intimidator like Katarina Witt, but it seemed that there was almost something in each skater that made them seem to stop trying when she'd skate clean (well, all but one skater -- Tara Lipinski). Like in 2000, Butyrskaya and Slutskaya had the title in the BAG and Michelle was skating first--we all know what happened.

While Katarina played mind games, it seemed that with every jump Michelle landed cleanly in competitions, the other skaters just seemed to give up.

So, yeah, you're right, she wasn't unbeatable technically, but she had a 99% success rate when she was completely clean.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i agree that she looks very tall... i think it's great that her growth doesn't seem to be hurting her jumps. maybe because she is really maintaining the same body shape... not really gaining weight or curves.

also agree that her flip-loop looks better than the loop-loop and brings more points.