Mao Asada - Summer Training | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada - Summer Training

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Kwan was not unbeatble in technical merits.
She ALWAYS lost when her main rivals skated to their potentials (US nationals not considered).

Sometimes she did lose, especially the Big O . But I think Kwan holds the most medals in her field in the last ten years than any other skater.That is quite a feat.

Kwan was not unbeatble in technical merits.
She ALWAYS lost when her main rivals skated to their potentials (US nationals not considered).
But the thing about Michelle is, she won as many World Championships as Mao Asada, Yu-na Kim, Miki Ando, Shizuka Arakawa, Carolina Kostner, Kimmie Meisner, Yukari Nakano, Sarah Meier, Elene Gedevanishvili, Sasha Cohen, Joannie Rochette, Susanne Poykio and Irina Slutskaya -- combined.

Will Mao Asada be the next Michelle? Come back in five years and we can talk. ;)

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Mao could definitely win 5 World Titles. She should have already won 1 of them this year (and by that I mean she deserved to...stupid SP rule) but we won't go there.

~Z

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I would only hope for her sake that her Japanese fans aren't singing the same tune. to be the next Kwan...or the Kwan of Japan...you can't have much more pressure on you than that.

tagmats

Rinkside
I would only hope for her sake that her Japanese fans aren't singing the same tune. to be the next Kwan...or the Kwan of Japan...you can't have much more pressure on you than that.

Don't worry about it.Many Japanese fans dont want Mao to be like Kwan.

satorare

Match Penalty
I agree. Having five world titles (four of them are "home wins" from the sluggish period) but no OGM is hardly appealing to most of the Japanese.

I’m just saying – there is no rush to crown anyone the next Michelle Kwan, or the next Carol Heiss, or the next Sonja Henie or the next Herma Szabo (the four ladies in figure skating history who have won the World Championship five times or more). We have plenty of time to see what happens.

Mao could definitely win 5 World Titles. She should have already won 1 of them this year (and by that I mean she deserved to...stupid SP rule) but we won't go there.
That's exactly my point. There is a lot of good fortune involved. Just because someone deserves something doesn't mean they get it.

If life were fair, Mao would have two world championships and an Olympic medal by now. It's not her fault that she was born in September instead of June.

Still, a person must win one championship before she can win five. Go Mao!

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Mao Asada Summer Training

I love Mao's skating style and I believe she has potential to have a great career. However, beating Kwan's record will be a chore for any skater. For one thing, I think Mao has and potentially will have more competition than Kwan ever faced. The world scene is just chuck full of very, very talented young women and more to come in the future.

Dizzy

kittyjake5

On the Ice
I agree. Having five world titles (four of them are "home wins" from the sluggish period) but no OGM is hardly appealing to most of the Japanese.

Well apparently it is appealing to Mao who said she wants an illustrative career like Kwan and is training with Kwan's ex coach.