What music do you not want to hear this season? | Golden Skate

What music do you not want to hear this season?

sillylionlove

Medalist
Ok...so I am going to start this thread. We are talking about what skaters are skating to and what we think they should be skating to. There are other threads that mention music that we don't'want to hear but lets start a thread just to say the music we don't want to hear. My list is...(and this is just a short list because I could go on and on)

Bolero (uless you are Torville and Dean at the Oympics..please just stay away!!)
Carmen (this was so over after the battle of the Carmens in 1988 with Witt and Thomas)
Anything from the movie the Mission
Any epic movie soundtrack (lord of the rings, james bond, the matrix, mission impossible etc.)
Riverdance
Phantom of the Opera (any song from it and while we are at it...why not throw in anything from Andrew Lloyd Weber)
Any exhibition done to anything from a Disney movie!!!
You lift me up...give Josh Groban a break already!!
Any hip hop (I like it and I like Tanith and Ben but really skating to Sexy Back!?!?!?!?!?...SEXY NOT!!)
Tosca....done way to many times
Romeo and Juliet (It doens't matter who the composer, orchestra etc is....this must be a pre-requisite for all skaters...they must hand a book to you that says just once you have to skate to romeo and juliet...enough already)
Any song written by a composer especially for you (this is a shout out to Plushenko!!!)

And finally...no more Apolcalyptica. If you want to skate to Metallica then skate to Metallica...not the elevator easy listening version of some group doing Metallica songs.

This is just my opinion and of course you don' thave to agree with it.

:agree:

Last edited:

SolarisFyre

Rinkside
I am so over Blues For Klook and Take Five.

I'm not a big fan of Riverdance either... actually that's a lie, I'm a huge fan of the actual Riverdance and its music, but it's one of those pieces that I don't feel translates well to the ice. Saying that I used to irish dance, so I'm bound to pick faults :laugh:

And also agreeing with Apolcalyptica... although I did enjoy their version of The Unforgiven.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
no rock music
no hip-hop
no Bolero
no carmen unless it's like out of this world good.

(I know that the mission is overused but i can't get enough of it.....)

discoduck

On the Ice
If you're not Torvill and Dean, please step away from Bolero.

No more Misson!

No more Xotica!

dutchherder

Final Flight
The Phantom of the Opera makes my eye twitch. Also, no one else needs to be "raised up". There are enough aching arms already. :disagree:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
For heaven's sake no more Swan Lake or Requiem for a Dream PLEASE.

Who has ever skated to Requim for a Dream besides Castile and Olkoski? I though the program very original. I have to agree about "you raise me up". okay, it's an inspiring song, but come on already.... everybody has done it.

rain

Record Breaker
I totally second or third the no Gosh Groban, especially the painfully over-earnest "You Lift me Up." I hated the song before anyone even thought to skate to it. And while we're on the subject of overly-earnest, how about adding Celine Dion to the banned list.

1492 Conquest of Paradise should also be in the no pile, along with Dark Eyes and Sing, Sing, Sing.

Phantom of the Opera sounds so dated I couldn't get past the music to enjoy the programs this year. Les Miserables also needs a break.

Fossi

Final Flight
Carmen
Swan Lake
Rach Music
Bolero
Don Quiote (nobody does it quite like Sarah Hughes:love:)
Tosca

Any program that has been recycled to death ala Romeo and Juliet)

Stop the insanity and get new music for your programs! :rock:

Y

ykcami

No more
Phantom of the Opera
Swan Lake
Bolero
Carmen
Romeo and Juliet
Turandot
Tosca :p

Wrlmy

Medalist
I'm fine with almost any kind of music, IF done exquisitely. I wouldn't mind even Romeo and Juliet if anyone can perform to the piece as well as Sasha did. The only piece I couldn't stand from this season was Fumie's LP. It was just blah! Joannie's music choice really caught me off gaurd, in a good way.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Josh Groban rocks :p They just use one song in particular of his wayyy too much.

No Malaguena(so depressing), Imagine(ahhhh!), Carmen(duh!), West side story, and anything that makes skaters do "egyptian hands". They're just as bad as Jazz hands, lol.

Carmen
Swan Lake
Rach Music
Bolero
Don Quiote (nobody does it quite like Sarah Hughes:love:)
Tosca

Any program that has been recycled to death ala Romeo and Juliet)

Stop the insanity and get new music for your programs! :rock:
I love that list of tunes. It shows just how versatile figure skaters are.:rolleye:

I wouldn't mind though, if all the contestants would skate to the same tune. That would show so many reasons for picking a winner but we don't want that. Do we? :rolleye:

Joe