MK on ESPN the Pulse | Golden Skate

MK on ESPN the Pulse

Kathy

On the Ice
Michelle was just interviewed on ESPN the Pluse. MFK has a download available. Lots of neat comments on all she has been doing. She was asked questions that had been emailed in and one was about if we would ever get to see her Olympic programs. She said "maybe" but "probably not the exact same ones" Said she hadn't ruled out the next Olympics - said she might. Said she was pain free and made lots of jokes about her age. She did a great job and looked terrific.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Just the thought of MK winning the next Olympics is too much to think about. I'm not going to wish upon a star.

~Z

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMO, "not ruling out" a return to competition is a far cry from actually returning to competition. But, she is pain free, she is running, and, she can probably start trying triple jumps again soon (if she hasn't gotten the doctor's OK to start trying them already) so she can see what she is or is not capable of doing.

Nice to read she is in top shape after a grueling time of pain. It's a long road ahead if she plans on practicing triples, imo.

Joe

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Good news that Michelle hip has healed and she is without pain. Physically I don't think I have ever seen Michelle look in better shape. She was a little more revealing about her skating career in this interview. She said that her doctor has given her the green light to return to the ice. She also said she has been running 4 or 5 miles a day and also ice training. What does it all mean who knows. Most figure skating fans have declared her competitive career dead, done, finished, the only problem I find with that way of thinking is that I don't think Michelle has.
JMO

nymkfan51

Medalist
Good news that Michelle hip has healed and she is without pain. Physically I don't think I have ever seen Michelle look in better shape. She was a little more revealing about her skating career in this interview. She said that her doctor has given her the green light to return to the ice. She also said she has been running 4 or 5 miles a day and also ice training. What does it all mean who knows. Most figure skating fans have declared her competitive career dead, done, finished, the only problem I find with that way of thinking is that I don't think Michelle has.
JMO

I agree with you. Ultimately, it will be Michelle (and not any of us) who decides when her career is over. I have felt this way for many months now, reading all the comments about how she's through competing.

Not so fast folks!

Only the Kween knows!!! ;)

...I'm not going to wish upon a star.
I am , I am!

OK, Michelle's 2010 Olympic program...

She's got two problems. First, she won't want to train any loop jumps -- why tempt fate? Second, the CoP pretty much rules out a 3T/3T combination because it uses up too much of your Zayaks while not adding up to enough points on its own. So Michelle will do something like

3Lz+2T, 3F, 3S, (2nd half) 2A+3T, 3F+2T+2T, 2A, 3Lz = 44.91 points on jump elements before GOEs.

So far, so good. But someone like Mao can beat that by 8+ points by exchanging 3A for 3S, 3Lz+3T for 3Lz+2T, 3F+3Lo for 3F+2T+2T and 2A+2Lo+2Lo for 2A+3T. (This assumes Mao doesn't go crazy with quads and 3A combinations. :) )

Michelle can pick up only a few extra points on spirals and footwork, and not much if anything on spins, so to be on the safe side she will need to put on such a show that her PCSs are a full point ahead of everyone else's (8.75 versus 7.75 across the board in the LP gives an advantage of 8 points.)

Yeah...I can see it now... :)

Fossi

Final Flight
What realistic chance would Kwan have against Meissner, Yu-Na, Mao and Miki Ando?

What realistic chance would Kwan have against Meissner, Yu-Na, Mao and Miki Ando?
What? I just laid it out for you, how she could do it, in post #12. :rock: (The only thing Michelle has to fear is if Olympic Champion Sarah Hughes comes back.) :)

nymkfan51

Medalist
What chance?
Well ... I think she could beat Kimmie quite easily ... at least judging by the quality of Kimmie's skating this past season. Quite a few skaters beat her.

And as for Miki, Mao and Yu-Na ... it's really impossible to compare Michelle against them right now because they have been competing and she hasn't.
And given my personal opinion that Michelle won't compete unless she feels she can beat them ... then if we see her at the next Olympics, it will be because she feels she can win. And if she believes it ...so do I!!! :yes:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist

Depends. All are capable of magnificent skates; all have given performances that are awful. Besides, if Meissner is really the only American that you can assume is capable of defeating Michelle, then Michelle does have a good chance of winning a tenth US title -- not a shabby accomplishment, no matter what happens at Olys.

Also -- after everything that has happened to her, MK's competitive priorities might have changed. Elaine Zayak, for example, wanted to return to competition at
age 28, simply because she wanted to show she could still do it -- something that she couldn't do as a pro. She did it, and had a great skate -- even though she came in 4th.

psycho

On the Ice
I am , I am!

OK, Michelle's 2010 Olympic program...

She's got two problems. First, she won't want to train any loop jumps -- why tempt fate? Second, the CoP pretty much rules out a 3T/3T combination because it uses up too much of your Zayaks while not adding up to enough points on its own. So Michelle will do something like

3Lz+2T, 3F, 3S, (2nd half) 2A+3T, 3F+2T+2T, 2A, 3Lz = 44.91 points on jump elements before GOEs.

So far, so good. But someone like Mao can beat that by 8+ points by exchanging 3A for 3S, 3Lz+3T for 3Lz+2T, 3F+3Lo for 3F+2T+2T and 2A+2Lo+2Lo for 2A+3T. (This assumes Mao doesn't go crazy with quads and 3A combinations. :) )

Michelle can pick up only a few extra points on spirals and footwork, and not much if anything on spins, so to be on the safe side she will need to put on such a show that her PCSs are a full point ahead of everyone else's (8.75 versus 7.75 across the board in the LP gives an advantage of 8 points.)

Yeah...I can see it now... :)

Interesting program, but where is the important stuff like what she'll wear and what she'll skate to?:laugh:

I agree. The time span of not skating has a lot to do with a comeback. Dorothy Hamil still looked divine with her comeback but the technical would never get her a medal. I think Kwan is in the same boat and maybe Plushenko too except he is still skating, albeit shows and keeping in shape.

Joe

Zuranthium

Match Penalty

She really needs a consistent 3F/3T or 3Lz/3T. 2A/3T doesn't do anything for you in the SP. Having the 3Loop would be very nice too...she needs all the points she can get. More people seriously need to use the "winding 3-turn" approach for the Loop. It makes the jump harder to control than the common method but it also puts less strain on the body because you're getting help from the momentum of those 3-turns. If Kwan IS able to get back to 100%, I would recommend this jump layout for her:

3Loop
3Flip/3Toe
3Lutz/2Toe/2Loop
----------
2Axel
3Flip
3Sal/2Toe
3Lutz

~Z