India's Ami Parekh Brings Bollywood to Ice | Golden Skate

India's Ami Parekh Brings Bollywood to Ice

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"There is a complex connection between the United States, figure skating, me, and India," said Ami Parekh, India's first skater to ... [More]

cygnus

Rinkside
I was pleasantly surprised by her skating at 4ccs this year. I wasn't expecting anything much (the only other Indian skater I have seen was Aadnya Borkar at the Montreal JGP :eek: ). But Ami delivered a very nice SP with good spirals and spins, and an OK LP. I'd like to see her keep developing.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Ami Parekh qualified for the U.S. Sectional Championships (the final Nationals qualifying competition) twice at the Novice level and also competed at both the Juvenile and Intermediate levels (below Novice) at Nationals -- this competitive record indicates that she had strong basic skating skills early in her skating career in the USA. Spins were/are definitely one of her strengths as well. I'm very glad to see GS publish an article about Ami (with whom I occasionally skated many years ago).

She's a tough cookie if she can skate with a herniated disc. That's a very tricky condition that can flare up at any time. There is no guarantee that surgery will leave the patient pain-free (but there is no alternative in extreme cases.)

Good luck to her. :agree:

I read somewhere that when India first began pursuing ISU membership they only had four ice skating rinks in the whole country -- all left over from British officers recreation facilities. I wonder if the sport is starting to gain a toehold now.

Thanks to Barry Mittan and Paula for the article. :agree:

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
At the risk of sounding like an idiot........

I keep hearing the word Bollywood (just heard it again yesterday on TV). For the life of me I can't figure out what it is except that it has to do with India. Is it suppossed to be the Indian Film industry? And if so what does that have to do with a skater? And where does Bolly come from?

Yes, it is the Indian version of Hollywood, based in Bombay. So, Bombay-Hollywood = Bollywood.

There is a theater near my neighborhood that serves the Indian community in Detroit, and they run two or three new feature films a week. Almost all of them are sappy romantic love stories, LOL. Maybe we will see Ami in a movie one day. :agree:

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Yes, it is the Indian version of Hollywood, based in Bombay. So, Bombay-Hollywood = Bollywood.

There is a theater near my neighborhood that serves the Indian community in Detroit, and they run two or three new feature films a week. Almost all of them are sappy romantic love stories, LOL. Maybe we will see Ami in a movie one day. :agree:

Okay, thanks for the answer, and for not making me feel like an idiot. :)

manleywoman

Rinkside
She's a really nice kid. I used to skate with her about 7 years ago. We watched her on the Scripps Spelling Bee!