Fetal's Suspension | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Fetal's Suspension

G

GSK8

Re: Oh geez..........

Oh me' lord.....I can just see you chasing me with one of those wooden rolling pins from the kitchen....:rollin: :rollin:

PM Skate Dustin and see if he can help you out with your photo.....or lack thereof......that big ole' X is buggin me 8o

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

:lol: oh dear... I don't want to be in the kitchen at that time...

then again... I could just stand on the counter and shout "fight fight fight!!!" ;)

L

Lcp88

Frankly, I would have rather just say "No Comment" to any of this, but there are a few things that I really do want to add now that I've read everybody's thought/views.
First, like rgirl, I don't think anything here has ever offended me in any way. Even sacreligious or Bourne and Kraatz dissing stuff.
Second, everyone has a right to express their opinions, even if the majority does not agree with them. That being said, I think Fetal can do whatever he wants within the guidelines of Golden Skate. From what I've read of his posts, they are very thoughful and insightful. Only on a few occasions has he been downright mean and/or insulting, and I think Paula has gotton him for that.
So basicly what I'm trying to say is lighten up a little. Everyone can express their own views.
Laura

J

Joesitz

Lcp - As I have stated before, I am jaded and nothing, absolutely nothing shocks me where sexual matters are intended. I am hard as nails and can hardly remember just what has been written. Skipping over those things is like skipping over all boredom.

However, not everyone is like me, and sexual matters, even when intended as 'funny' as opposed to the intention to shock one, may very much offend some readers.

In the last analysis, if one is deprived of a shocking statement, is it the end of the world?

Joesitz

P

Piel

I guess that I am in the minority here but I am surprised that most people at this forum are NOT offended by Fetal's ridicule of other's religion. That is the one thing that I believe is off limits. In a forum such as this where the main focus is figure skating I feel that it is unnecessary and inappropriate to make statements that make fun of something that is so important to so many. To me this is bashing of the worst kind. While one has the legal right to say what one want, why would one choose to exercise that right if it could possibly offend others especiallty when the remarks are not needed to make a point about the topics being discussed? Does anyone else feel this way?

Piel

G

Grgranny

Piel, yes I do. I really don't care for all the nasty sexual comments either. I do think he is very smart and very funny but he went way too far. :smokin:

M

mathman444

On another thread Paula (GS administrator GS8 ) reminded us that she spends most of her time researching and writing news stories and articles, arranging and conducting interviews, preparing the newsletter, responding to email, etc. This means that she has a right to expect that the Forum will pretty much police itself, following rules of common courtesy. As Joe says, it does not rise to the level of a First Amendment issue if we take a minute to ask ourselves,

"Gee, maybe this post that I'm about to write is going to sound nasty and mean to a lot of people. Maybe another person will feel that I have belittled his or her opinion or assaulted a value systems that he or she holds dear. Maybe I can make my point a little differently. Or maybe I should save it and post on one of those "anything goes" discussion groups instead."

I know, I know. That's no fun.

I agree with Piel that attacking other people's religion, race, ethnicity, cultural background, etc. should be totally off-limits on this board. No exceptions, no second chances. But Fetal has never spoke disparaging of any race, ethnicity, etc. -- quite the contrary. His broadside diatribes are against the underlying logic of theology and against the foolish and wicked excesses committed in the name of religion. To me, that's fair enough -- I just wish that Fetal would let it go sometimes.

About sex, I wish I could be as shock-proof as Joe. But I have to confess a tiny little sore spot. I think that young ladies who have worked hard to be positive role models for their young fans have earned the right to keep their private lives private. I do indeed cringe when people make off-color remarks about the imagined sex lives of my favorite girls. Sorry, that's just me.

But again, I have to say this. The only time I actually got mad at Fetal was once he said something of a sexual nature about Michelle. (To clean it up, it was something about how happy she looks now that she has a boyfriend.) When I objected, Fetal answered very reasonably and politely (without changing his opinion in the slightest, of course), that sex is an important part of life, and that he for one was pleased that Michelle seems to have found a romantic relationship that makes her happy. I thought that was cool.

Mathman

G

GSK8

Thanks Math

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">On another thread Paula (GS administrator GS8 ) reminded us that she spends most of her time researching and writing news stories and articles, arranging and conducting interviews, preparing the newsletter, responding to email, etc. This means that she has a right to expect that the Forum will pretty much police itself, following rules of common courtesy. As Joe says, it does not rise to the level of a First Amendment issue if we take a minute to ask ourselves,

"Gee, maybe this post that I'm about to write is going to sound nasty and mean to a lot of people. Maybe another person will feel that I have belittled his or her opinion or assaulted a value systems that he or she holds dear. Maybe I can make my point a little differently. Or maybe I should save it and post on one of those "anything goes" discussion groups instead."</blockquote>

Maybe if others keep saying it like yourself, it'll sink in ;)