News about Caroline | Page 2 | Golden Skate

News about Caroline

...but I can for this Caroline Zhang. Remember, she hasn't even shown up to 2007 SA and we're talking about her as if she's the next Olympic Champ. Does she deserve this kind of hype (or buzz, or whatever you wish to call it)? Umm, depends on who you ask
If you really hate forum gushing, why bring Caroline into this thread? I introduced Caroline to this forum a couple of years back, and said she is the wave of the future, but no body picked up on it till she won Junior GP. But you don't follow Juniors where she was getting real media hype. She's also American and will get much attention in the American forums. You are under no obligation to read all the gushing.

Joe

_Ladybug_

On the Ice
I love Caroline, she had a great season and I believe she is promising but I'm not jumping to her bandwagon yet because it's just too soon. She is way too young and many things can happen. However I appreciate the updates.

feraina

Record Breaker
I introduced Caroline to this forum a couple of years back, and said she is the wave of the future, but no body picked up on it till she won Junior GP.

Really? You did?! I'm trying to remember how I heard about Caroline in the first place... It might have the USFSA article about her after the Mexico JGP. I was intrigued by the amazing photo of her "pearl" spin.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I introduced Caroline to this forum a couple of years back, and said she is the wave of the future, but no body picked up on it till she won Junior GP.Joe
Joe, I consider you our talent scout. Some of the others you said to watch for was Davydov, Caroline and also Rohen Ward. By the way do you know what's going on with him??

Dee

flying camel

Medalist
Well since there is no Cohen or Kwan competing, and no other american lady aside from Kimmie has really made an impact some of us are just excited of the possibilities of Caroline. Her competing as a senior may not even work out as some would like, but I am just very optimistic about her competing next season.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
OT to Dee: Rohene Ward plans to compete at the Liberty Summer Competition next month.

A history lesson on the Zhang/Golden Skate/Internet "hype" ;) ...

Joesitz mentioned before that he first saw Caroline Zhang skate in person at 2006 Nationals in St. Louis where she placed 8th in junior. ABC TV took note of her that year because a clip of her combination spin was televised during the Exhibition broadcast in the "Little Girls Have Big Dreams Too" segment. I don't recall Joe's first post about Zhang's skating but it must have been not long after Nationals.

I first saw Zhang skate in person at 2005 Nationals in Portland where she placed 4th in Novice, and had previously seen video of her as an Intermediate. Her spinning talent and flexibility were obvious already and she created a lot of buzz at the grassroots level (below Novice) prior to 2005. I enjoy watching a lot of young and talented skaters across the U.S. at club competitions and Regionals/Sectionals/Nationals, but normally don't post publically about them because I prefer to watch them develop without too much Internet hype. :)

I posted this in another thread recently:
"... the Internet has most certainly increased fans' awareness of Zhang's skating, with her competition videos that have been shared and viewed online since last summer and fall (it started right here on Golden Skate, in fact!"
I was referring to a video of Zhang's Junior SP from a small summer club competition that was first posted here as a downloadable file at GS in late July of last year and later showed up on youtube. That's what started the "Zhang hype" rolling among Internet skating fans...

Really? You did?! I'm trying to remember how I heard about Caroline in the first place... It might have the USFSA article about her after the Mexico JGP. I was intrigued by the amazing photo of her "pearl" spin.
It was at the St.Louis Nats when she skated in Jr Girls. She came out 8th I think. But you should know by now, that I like skaters with lots of flow and good edging. I don't need someone with medals and 3As. In fact Caroline at that Nats only did doubles.

I'm just so smart alecky for picking out young talent!:cool:

Joe

Fossi

Final Flight
Well, not since Michelle Kwan and Sarah Hughes has the US seen such a talented young skater such at Caroline. If you've ever had the chance to see her, she deserves the "hype" she is getting, unlike some other US skaters taht were hyped beyond belief and never lived up to it.

Joe, I consider you our talent scout. Some of the others you said to watch for was Davydov, Caroline and also Rohen Ward. By the way do you know what's going on with him??Dee
Davydov needs to train off-ice with afro/cuban music to get his body more supple, and then use it in an exhibition to see how it goes. No matter, the suppleness gained will improve his performances in other areas.

Caroline is doing fine, and she'll be ready for 2014.

Rohene has it all but he is the definition of inconsistency. However, to see him do wonders, check out IceNetwork: MidWestern Regionls. It's one big WOW.

Unfortunately, I do not get to watch many other skaterz , but americans. A few others I am watching cloesely: Kristi Musademba, Armin Mahbanoozadeh, Adam Rippon, Chrissie Hughes and Tommy Steenberg.

There were several young Russian male skaters, I saw on IceNetork but I didn't jot down their names. I would love to go to a World Juniors Championship if it were held in the US.

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think that the mention of classical spainsh guitar is very promising for Caroline. I HOPE that she will skate to Concerto de Arajuez..... that music always make me cry.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rohene has it all but he is the definition of inconsistency. However, to see him do wonders, check out IceNetwork: MidWestern Regionls. It's one big WOW.
Joe
Joe, would you have a link to it, please, please, please??

OT to Dee: Rohene Ward plans to compete at the Liberty Summer Competition next month.
Thanks Sylvia for that info.

Dee

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Joe, would you have a link to it, please, please, please??
If you're currently subscribed to the Ice Network, it's the Senior Men's FS from Upper Great Lakes Regionals (October 2006). Ward landed 7 triples including 3axel.

ETA: Back to Caroline Zhang (old news, not new news, sorry)...
It was at the St.Louis Nats when she skated in Jr Girls. She came out 8th I think. But you should know by now, that I like skaters with lots of flow and good edging. I don't need someone with medals and 3As. In fact Caroline at that Nats only did doubles.
Zhang tried triples (lutz and flip) but they were downgraded in both her SP and FS in in 2006. She was credited with rotating a triple toe in her FS but fell. That's why her improvements on jump rotation by the summer of 2006 were so impressive!

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
That's why her improvements on jump rotation by the summer of 2006 were so impressive!

Caroline said in an interview that she didn't expect to get a JGP assignment since she only got 8th in junior National's, so maybe what happened was that her improvements in jumps were already apparent during summer monitoring. The fact that she improved so much in her jumping in one year, as well as Rachael's going from the first 3Sal to a 3Z/3T in two years, makes me hopeful that Caroline can make significant improvements in that department yet again this summer. :love: Am I hoping for too much?

Didn't she get Rachael Flatt's spot at JGP Mexico after Rachael pulled out with an injury? Had USFSA already given away all the later JGP spots by the time she got injured? On the other hand, she did quite alright in her senior debut at national's, which might not have happened if she hadn't gottten injured. Qualifying for seniors through all the regionals, etc. was probably the best way for her to have a busy and productive season after missing out on the JGP. And she certainly was the one new face that NBC was most excited about amongst this year's senior ladies.

By the way, it was thanks to Caro that I found GS Forum at all. I think I was scouting online for info on JW '07 while it was taking place, and on some other forum someone mentioned that Sylvia at GS was doing play-by-play. :)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Didn't she get Rachael Flatt's spot at JGP Mexico after Rachael pulled out with an injury?
No, Flatt was initially assigned to the Mexico City JGP last May (based on her Junior silver medal at '06 Nationals) and Zhang was added in July after being monitored earlier in the summer.

By the way, it was thanks to Caro that I found GS Forum at all. I think I was scouting online for info on JW '07 while it was taking place, and on some other forum someone mentioned that Sylvia at GS was doing play-by-play. :)
Rosaleen :rock: (not me) is the play-by-play "voice" (fingers?) of GS.

feraina

Record Breaker
No, Flatt was initially assigned to the Mexico City JGP last May (based on her Junior silver medal at '06 Nationals) and Zhang was added in July after being monitored earlier in the summer.

You mean, they were both going to go to Mexico City before Rachael pulled out?

Rosaleen :rock: (not me) is the play-by-play "voice" (fingers?) of GS.

How memory plays tricks on us! And here I was, feeling grateful to Sylvia all this time. :p Apologies to Rosaleen. You rock. :rock:

Actually, I think I must have mis-remembered this because Sylvia is in general full of all kinds of useful factual information. You rock too! :rock:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Thanks for your nice words. :) I enjoy watching the many talented up-and-coming skaters from around the world and try to appreciate their talents *right now/in the moment* because you never know when a skater will reach their peak. Some of my favorite young skaters peaked before they reached the Senior national level; others' careers culminated with a JGP. So many good skaters never become "famous" or nationally televised or talked about on the Internet, yet have much to be proud about in their competitive careers.

You mean, they were both going to go to Mexico City before Rachael pulled out?
Yes. Flatt officially withdrew before the ladies' draw in Mexico City, so she wasn't listed as officially withdrawn from that JGP and it was too late to send a replacement. For some reason, Flatt was not sent to a later JGP even though it was a possibility. But, that's water under the bridge now, and Flatt will hopefully, finally, be healthy for the JGP this fall after waiting 2 years to compete.

The fact that she [Caroline] improved so much in her jumping in one year ... makes me hopeful that Caroline can make significant improvements in that department yet again this summer. :love: Am I hoping for too much?
I honestly don't know. Changing jump technique, as I understand it, is very difficult to do and doesn't happen quickly. Emily Hughes used to underrotate her triples and had a major flutz when I first saw her as a young Novice skater in 2000, yet she was able to fix her flutz with hard work. Zhang may not have the luxury of improving her jumps "out of the spotlight" like Hughes did. We'll just have to wait and see what happens...

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
Emily Hughes was underrotating her triples again last season. She got dinged at Cup of China and at Worlds.

emma

Record Breaker
If you're currently subscribed to the Ice Network, it's the Senior Men's FS from Upper Great Lakes Regionals (October 2006). Ward landed 7 triples including 3axel.

I keep waiting for this one to appear on Youtube, I haven't seen it yet though.
I just hope Rohene has a great season, he is truly amazing.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Does Caroline deserve the hype? Well, of course she does.

True figureskating fans get very excited when they see an outstandingly beautiful skater. Caroline is special. Whether or not she ever wins Nationals, Worlds or an Olympic medal depends on timing, luck, health and so many other factors it's impossible to list them all. The potential is definitely there.

As far as predicting who will be the champs in the future, it's an impossible task. Right now, I just feel lucky that there are so many talented ladies throughout the world who will keep my interest in figureskating. I was worried after Sasha, Irina and Michelle left the competitive world but what a treasure of talent we have to watch in the future........YuNa, Mao, Kimmie, Rachel, Miki, Carolina, Joannie......the list goes on and on.

The future is secure.

Dizzy

I keep waiting for this one to appear on Youtube, I haven't seen it yet though.
I just hope Rohene has a great season, he is truly amazing.
Don't hold your breath. I doubt IceNetwork will release it. I wish someone knew how to to that. I'd like everyone to see Ward at lhis best. Evan and Johnny beware.

Joe