Hackensack Events | Golden Skate

Hackensack Events

sorcerer

Final Flight
Hackensack Events (Miki and friends)

Is anyone planning to go to Hackensack on July 7th?

http://www.icehousenj.com/

I've heard that Miki is also to join the Adult Figure Skating Camp there starting today.
If it's not too much to ask, could someone be able to kindly give us short reports on these?

I'm a bit worried that Miki might still be worn out in fatigue after the Japan Open.
It would be nice to know how she is, recovering or not.

Last edited:
Oh, how lovely. I may be able to go and could at least say whether Miki seems rested. :) Thanks for the announcement!

I got my tickets. (You can charge directly from the Ice House w/o service charges. Yay!) I'm so surprised and pleased to be able to see Miki live. I didn't even know she was training in this area. Anyone else going?

Also skating:

Lang and Tchernyshev (GORGEOUS)
Ina and Zimmerman
Silvia Fontana

All for $25. Tomorrow (Sat. ) at 7 pm.

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
I can't wait to hear about this, especially about Naomi and Peter. Anyone taking pictures??

sorcerer

Final Flight
Someone has written on the FSU board that the tickets doesn't specify where to be seated and that it's first-come-first-serve basis.
So Spun-Silver-san, better get there early enough!

Also, TV-Asahi sould be there to cover some part of the show.
You can wave to the camera, and we'll recognize you (probably) on air in Japan. :)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Have a great time, Spun Silver, and please share the experience with us whenever you can! :biggrin: :bow:

Ahhhh... The main thing I have to say to you folks is, Next time Miki Ando and Friends are skating near you, GO. Because for $25 (with no service charges, yay!), you get not only everyone who was advertised:

*Two numbers by Miki! looking gorgeous, healthy, rested, totally glamorous in black (sparkly) and lavender (iceberg-y), and clearly getting comfortable in the spotlight. Some beautiful spins, at least four triples (no falls) and a stretch of flashing footwork stood out. Someone mentioned "smiles and poise" as winning qualities - they were there, great to see. "La Boheme" (an abridged new SP? I liked it) and "Hurt." (I guess she doesn't know about Sasha's copyright on that one, lol.)

*Two by Naomi and Peter! the nonpareils. "Adagio for Strings" (the one they did on COI this year - still hate that text though) and "Love in Venice." I really don't know if ice dancing can be more beautiful than this. As Joe has said, they are worth the price of admission all by themselves.

* Two by Silvia Fontana! "Tango" and "Dance with Me." She's a crowd-pleaser. The rink kids are nuts about her.

* One by Ina and Zimmerman! appropriately, "You're Beautiful." Yes, they were. (How can he be so FINE?)

But also:

* Two by Adam Rippon! a Child of Weir in fashion as well as skating style. (This lovely mop-headed young man is ignoring the memos from Evan/USFSA; we're talking sequins, blue velvet, AND plunging necklines.) Gorgeous spins. If he keeps this up I'll have to add him to my signature. "Toccata & Fugue" & "Because We Believe."

* One by Olga Orlova! (Skating solo) She is tall with a big, flowing style - a "Lilac Fairy" type who can also turn on the pizzazz. "Cabaret."

* Two by Volosozhar & Morozov! What a surprise! Wowza! They were stunning despite, I think, two falls on a throw triple. (Or maybe once it was Fraser who fell. Sorry, I didn't take notes.) "Albinoni Adagio" and "Total Eclipse of the Heart."

*One by Fraser & Lukanin! "Tango" - unfortunately I'm having trouble remembering them possibly because I don't really like tangos. I think they were the pair who did the death spiral where the girl was almost flat on the ice... extremely impressive... but that might have been V&M.

*One by .... Elene Gedevanishvili! Oh my gosh, I was hoping she would be added and she was. Tiny mavy is right, she's really small (and looks so young). "Malaguena." She didn't seem as dynamic as I remember her being at the Olympics, but looked healthy. She landed a solid triple or two and showed off her spirals and Ina Baur-sit spin combo, if that's how to describe it and if I'm remembering correctly. (She didn't have a lot of choreography to work with.) I am rooting for this adorable young lady.

And finally, get ready...:

*Two by Alexander Abt! I was flabbergasted to see his name in the program. I didn't know he ever performed in the USA and since I didn't recall reading anything recent about him on GS wasn't sure what to expect. But he was great - he worked the audience like nobody's business, landed all his triples, made people gasp with his fast spins and spectacular flying camels - they were like pinwheels and one in particular was just unbelievably high. He was in our corner when he landed his first jump and did it with such a delightful smile. I think I'm in love! (Along with about 200 other women at this event. At one point he kissed the hand of some lucky lady who had ice seats - my friend whispered, "She'll never wash her hand again!") His numbers were "Everything I do I do it for you" and "Gasoline" (a light number with long homie shorts, bare legs, and a baseball cap - it was amusing to see him next to Rippon in the finale).

* And don't let me leave out Iona Matsumoto and Zachary Riccardi, two skaters to watch out for in about 10 years (right now they are approximately 6 and 7) or the talented, beribboned Courtney Taylor (who just became a novice skater)!

Thank you, Miki and Friends! The Ice House, Hackensack was definitely the place to be today.

P.S. It was full, too.

Four stars!

Last edited:

sorcerer

Final Flight
Oh thank you so much for your report, Spun-Silver-san!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm so happy to hear of your satisfaction, your four stars evaluation, and your report on the skaters, for me especially of Miki !!
I'm so delighted to hear all these that I feel myself full of new energy; OTOH such a shame to be not there as a Miki fan.
And Gede-chan DID skate there! Yeah she'll soon be on the top scene. :)
Thanks so much again; I hope to see this show on TV in Japan soon (though probably only a fraction of it).

skamper23

Medalist
What an awesome show! I'm sad I didn't make the 3 1/2 hr drive!!! I was betting there would be more cast than what was listed!! Hopefully someone will put some clips on Youtube! Thanks for the review!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks so much! What an amazing cast with lots of great surprises! :party: :)

leode

Rinkside
Thank you so much for your excellent report, Spun-Silver!:clap:
I heard about this show will be on air at Japanese TV program on September, 2007.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
* Two by Adam Rippon! a Child of Weir in fashion as well as skating style. (This lovely mop-headed young man is ignoring the memos from Evan/USFSA; we're talking sequins, blue velvet, AND plunging necklines.) Gorgeous spins. If he keeps this up I'll have to add him to my signature. "Toccata & Fugue" & "Because We Believe."
I'm happy to hear (Joesitz will be, too ;)) that Adam Rippon performed in this show -- he switched coaches and rinks to Morozov earlier this year (his former coach was Russian as well). "Toccata and Fugue" (J.S. Bach) is his new short program and I think "Because We Believe" was the Andrea Bocelli exhibition program he skated so well in the Will Sears Memorial Fund show after the Mid-Atlantics club comp. in NYC last September (he received huge applause afterwards from the audience there who didn't know who he was before he performed). Rippon will be on the JGP this year (Romania) after not competing internationally last season.

Alexander (Sasha) Abt is a great performer to see live, and I believe he's now coaching in Hackensack.

Thanks for the detailed report, Spun Silver, and glad you had such a great time. :)

Last edited:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
And finally, get ready...:

*Two by Alexander Abt! I was flabbergasted to see his name in the program. I didn't know he ever performed in the USA and since I didn't recall reading anything recent about him on GS wasn't sure what to expect.

Sasha bought his first home last summer, not too far from the rink in New Jersey, after spending a year in Massachusetts. He can be found at the rink on a regular basis when not touring. Sasha usually doesn't perform in the US, although he did once in Canada two years ago. Sadly with letter writing campaigns to both COI and SOI, and even Disson, he has never gotten offers over here (except for the occasional small venue single-night small performance or charity event) which is a true shame considering his major talent - and audience appeal.

Last edited:
Thanks SpunSilver. He's been on my future champion list since last year when I saw him at the MidAtlantics. I called him a Johnny clone. He did well in Jr. Nats but he wasn't at his best.

Sylvia - Has he moved up to Seniors or shall I expect him to win this year's Jrs?
I believe he will be in Jr. GP this year.

Joe