Favorite Grand Prix dark horse? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Favorite Grand Prix dark horse?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the ISU change the rules a year or so ago so that you cannot make the GPF by skating in only 1 GP compeition?

Andy W.
No, it's still based on the number of points, but if there's a tie, the skater who skated more than one event wins the tiebreak, even if the skater who skated one event had a higher placement in that one event than the skater who skated two (or three, for pairs).

No, it's still based on the number of points, but if there's a tie, the skater who skated more than one event wins the tiebreak, even if the skater who skated one event had a higher placement in that one event than the skater who skated two (or three, for pairs).
? Are you sure? Unless there was a very recent change, the "two events is better than one" is only the third tie-breaker." The first tie-breaker is "highest placement in an individual event" and the second is total CoP points.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-183251-200469-120726-0-file,00.pdf (page 6ff)

So if skater A got a third (11 points) and a seventh (4 points), and skater B got a first (15 points) and only did one event, Skater B would win on the first tie-breaker.

I have wondered if this is really the intent, because if so, then the only way the third tie-beaker would come into play is if Skater A got, say, a first and a last (15+0) and skater B got a 15 (one event)...AND the total CoP points of skater A's two events exactly matched the CoP points, down to the second decimal place, of Skater B's one event. (This would never happen in the real world, LOL.)