Irina Lobacheva: "Russia needs more multi-profile athletic facilities" | Golden Skate

Irina Lobacheva: "Russia needs more multi-profile athletic facilities"

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker

Russian Olympic medalist, figure skater Irina Lobacheva told IA "Sportcom" that Russian needs to build more multi-profile athletic facilities.

"For a modern athlete, it's not enough to train at a Palace that has ice. There has to a weight room and a choreography room nearby. That's a requirement that applies to everyone. It would be great to also have children's rooms in the new facilities as well. I currently train kids, and parents often come with tiny children they can't leave at home. It's very hard for those toddlers to spend a whole hour in a cold room near the ice. It would be great to have professionals watch them during the time. One more thing. New facilities must investigate the question of children's nutrition. Many come to the rink before or after school, when their parents are still at work", says Irina Lobacheva.

Vadim KOMAROV, IA "Sportcom"
http://sportcom.ru/sport/figurkat/news4683a64f.htm

Isn't that what the Kwan's built in California? I wonder who's using it?

It's an expensive undertaking and the costs will be met by the renters! Figure Skating is an elite sport. Coaches need to make a living. Oh the headaches.

Joe

Yes, Michelle's rink does have a "state of the art" exercise and fitness room, for skaters and non-skaters alike. (From the picture, evidently you can watch TV while you are working out, LOL.)

http://www.eastwesticepalace.com/fitness/index.html

I don't think they have baby-sitting facilities, though.

Several hockey teams also play there. I get the impression that they make the majority of their money from hockey.

Watching TV while on a tredmill or eliptical machine is in just about every gym I've ever been to. It is not state-of-the arts. Ir's totally part and parcel of a gym.

Gyms run on membership renewals and new memberships. If either of those falters, the gym closes.

Now, is there any figure skating going on there in the Kwan complex?

Joe

That's easy for Lobacheva to say, but in a capitalistic country a skating complex will only work if there is sufficient interest in the sport and lots of money to back up that interest.

Chelsea Piers - a complex of many sports in NYC is run by the city. However, coaches are not free.

Joe