Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Derrick Delmore

Derrick Delmore

Wow! I just read on the choreography thread that he is skating again this year. I thought he retired last year? Any one have any info? Thanks

Custom Title
    See Delmore's updated USFS' Team C envelope bio:
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/AthleteBio.asp?id=35115
    From the Notes section at the bottom:
    Declared that last year would be his final year of competitions as a singles skater, but he reconsidered after the 2007 U.S. Championships ... He is now competing to maintain a high level of performance, with the hope of securing a pairs partner for the 2008-09 season ...
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-03-2007 at 04:35 PM.

Cool! Thanks for the update Sylvia! That's really exciting!!!!

Custom Title
    Also, Delmore recently finished a month-long run in a new musical titled "Cold as Ice" in a Long Island, NY theater and played "Josh on Ice" -- you can see him in a few production photos at: http://www.gatewayplayhouse.com/2007...ce-photos.html

That's cool! I like him, and I think he'd be a good pairs skater!!

Custom Title
    Oh, I'm glad to hear he is still skating. And he wants to do pairs??? Fabulous - I hope he finds a suitable partner!!!

Wow! That's great news! I'm glad he's staying involved with the sport. He has a great musical sense. I've always enjoyed watching him skate.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    Wow! That's great news! I'm glad he's staying involved with the sport. He has a great musical sense. I've always enjoyed watching him skate.
    I totally agree, I really like him and his skating style.

Dee

Just an average girl
    I hesitated to post my opinion, because everyone seems so enthusiastic. But I guess every thread needs a dissenter. I think it's a terrible decision. Derrick Delmore is 28 years old. He's been skating in seniors for more than a decade, but has never been on the podium. His best finish was top five -- years ago. He had a nice swan song in Spokane. It is time to move on. Share your love of skating with your students. Or try to land more professional gigs, like the stage show he just did. Sign on for one of the cruise ships for six months. Or join Holiday on Ice and see the world. Or maybe use that Stanford education somehow. He's never been a good competitor.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Cut View Post
    I hesitated to post my opinion, because everyone seems so enthusiastic. But I guess every thread needs a dissenter. I think it's a terrible decision. Derrick Delmore is 28 years old. He's been skating in seniors for more than a decade, but has never been on the podium. His best finish was top five -- years ago. He had a nice swan song in Spokane. It is time to move on. Share your love of skating with your students. Or try to land more professional gigs, like the stage show he just did. Sign on for one of the cruise ships for six months. Or join Holiday on Ice and see the world. Or maybe use that Stanford education somehow. He's never been a good competitor.
    I had to laugh when I read this because I too hesitated to say what I was thinking - and actually did more than hesitate as I didn't say it -- but I was very surprised to read he wants to continue IN A NEW discipline precisely because of his age. But, I do enjoy his skating a lot and would love to see him do well, and if he thinks he can give it a try then I can only wish him the very, very best. I can imagine that it would be hard to find a partner as the partnership might appear 'doomed' to be relatively short lived...but maybe a good run at a four year cycle is what he is looking for, and that very well might be quite doable.

So, to finish my unstated thougts now --- I also wondered if Jennifer Kirk would consider coming back and doing pairs...???

Custom Title
    Even of more concern than his age, is that he seems to be a slight fellow. I wonder if he has the body strength to pull off the difficult throws and lifts?

At any rate, I wish him luck.

Custom Title
    If he really wants to do Pairs, he should give Katy Taylor a call.....she's just 5 feet tall.

Derrick is not tall (only 5'8") but he is not that slight--he is well muscled. Scott Smith is really slight in build.
    Last edited by chuckm; 07-04-2007 at 06:19 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    I had to laugh when I read this because I too hesitated to say what I was thinking - and actually did more than hesitate as I didn't say it -- but I was very surprised to read he wants to continue IN A NEW discipline precisely because of his age.?
    It isn't a new discipline, it's old. Delmore was a pairs skater before he was a singles skater, IIRC.

I should be studying!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Hoffa View Post
    It isn't a new discipline, it's old. Delmore was a pairs skater before he was a singles skater, IIRC.
    Was he with that blonde gal who could hardly land her jumps all year? Was her name Stephanie?

Custom Title
    No, Stephanie Kalesavich skated with Aaron Parchem. Delmore competed in pairs quite a while ago at the Novice or below level, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Cut View Post
    Share your love of skating with your students.
    Delmore has been all along. I've seen him coaching at club competitions for many years now.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-04-2007 at 10:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast