Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Derrick Delmore

I'd like to bring up John Baldwin to the naysayers. He competed for years with little 'success' in Mens' Sr's. He was ready to give up on skating when his parents convinced him to try pairs. End result, he teams up with Rena Inoue and they win a couple of National titles, fall in love and land the 1st throw triple in competition. Sheesh - the guy seldom lands his end of the SBS triple.

I've always enjoyed Derrick's skating style. He also had a double major at Stamford University, which I admire. I was hoping that he would pull a Wylie and have the skate of his life after graduating from such a prestigious college.

Anyway, American pairs is relatively week. It's possible for Derrick to make it in US Pairs.

Just an average girl
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    I'd like to bring up John Baldwin to the naysayers.
    John Baldwin was 23 not 28 when he started pairs skating. He also had the incredible opportunity to skate with Rena Inoue, who was already an Olympian. Still, it took them three years to make the World team. So if Delmore first starts pairs skating next year, he will start the discipline at age 29. If it all goes well, maybe he'll be on the podium by the time he's 32. Too late the 2010 Olympics. He will be 35 for 2014. Yes, I know there have been skaters at the Olympics in that age range, but it's still very unlikely.

Another thing, Baldwin didn't have the benefit of a Stanford education. All he knew was skating. Delmore has other options in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Cut View Post
    John Baldwin was 23 not 28 when he started pairs skating. He also had the incredible opportunity to skate with Rena Inoue, who was already an Olympian. Still, it took them three years to make the World team. So if Delmore first starts pairs skating next year, he will start the discipline at age 29. If it all goes well, maybe he'll be on the podium by the time he's 32. Too late the 2010 Olympics. He will be 35 for 2014. Yes, I know there have been skaters at the Olympics in that age range, but it's still very unlikely.

Another thing, Baldwin didn't have the benefit of a Stanford education. All he knew was skating. Delmore has other options in life.
    According to Inoue and Baldwin's website, they became official partners in 2000. John would have been 26 or 27 at that time, since he was born in 1973.

Let's not forget one of the greatest pair teams of all time: Oleg Protopopov and Lyudmila Belousova. Oleg didn't skate at all-- pairs or otherwise-- until he was 15. Lyudmila didn't start until she was 16. They were in their thirties when they won BOTH of their Olympic gold medals in 1964 and 1968. They continued to compete in the World Professional Figure Skating Championships until 1987 (they came in 4th)-- when they were in their fifties!!! The last time they won gold was in 1985.

Johnny Weir didn't begin skating until he was 12, and won the World Jr. Championships four years later.

Sure, 28 is a late start, but it doesn't mean he's ancient. If he loves the sport enough to stick with it, perhaps he will be successful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2