Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lori Nichol

Custom Title

Lori Nichol

So far this season, it looks like Canadian Lori Nichol is involved in choreography for the folllowing US Sr ladies:
    Miessner
    Czisny
    Liang
    Flatt
    Nagasu
    Zhang

Does anyone know if Nichol is working with Carolina or Mao this year? Any pair teams?

Custom Title
    Maybe she will do something beauiful for Alissa like she use to for Michelle.

as per the Kurt Browning Choreography thread she's also working with Evan Lysacek

I would like to see more of what she did for Firth's SP. Maybe it is just my mood right now, but I want more "upbeat" and fun types of programmes. I am getting a little "used to" the same old "beautiful swan on the lake" programmes myself. Just to many IMO, here and there is good, but these slow elegant types of prorgammes on such a high percentage of numbers...???
    Give me more Fumie Fantasia, Mirai and that 40s number, etc.... Beautiful this sport is, but I think "excitement" needs more emphasis at present. JMO

Maybe I am not verse in all of Lori's "works," but the ones I remember most are the ones that have "excitement." Fumie SP OLY is a great example to me of a perfectly Choreographed piece. Fun, Drama, Beauty, Passion, etc... Yah that is more what I want from her and those she directs. A balance. Again, JMO.

All the ladies listed have great abilities to give both sides, but I think there are only 2 that do "elegance" better than "fun" anyway. Enough of this trying to prove "she has the elegance too," stuff. Play up their strengths.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 07-04-2007 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    as per the Kurt Browning Choreography thread she's also working with Evan Lysacek
    I think that will be a match made in heaven.

She's a very talented choreographer and with much experience with the fabulous John Curry company.

A good choreo who knows her client and can give the steps, the footwork, the arm movements all in time with the music, and he/she does this with many suggestions to the client. From then on it is up to skater to put him/her self into the performance, and that's the difficult part. IMO, if the skater does not add something of himself into the routine, it will come out looking like paint by the numbers.

As an example, if Kwan and Slutskaya did the exact Lori routines, they would look vastly different in performance.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    As an example, if Kwan and Slutskaya did the exact Lori routines, they would look vastly different in performance.
    As a great choreographer, she would never choreograph even similar routines of Kwan and Slutskaya - she would take into account strengths, weaknesses, and the character of both those ladies, and the resulting programs would look very different.

Sean - Lori's known more for the elegant numbers, and she choreographs them extremely well... Jamie and David used her pretty much exclusively... (though their 01/02 SP she did enlist Kurt Browning to help them get into character lol) and she brought out the best in them in such a short time. She was the magic that made them the skaters the skating world fell in love with....

And she's the reason I love to watch Pairs skating...

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Is this the first time that Lori is working with Alissa? I don't remeber hearing about this match before. I sorta hoped alissa would do somthing with Kurt. he did her exebition program last season and it was great.

I thought she choreographed her LP last year? or was that Wilson? or am I crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Sean - Lori's known more for the elegant numbers, and she choreographs them extremely well... Jamie and David used her pretty much exclusively... (though their 01/02 SP she did enlist Kurt Browning to help them get into character lol) and she brought out the best in them in such a short time. She was the magic that made them the skaters the skating world fell in love with....

And she's the reason I love to watch Pairs skating...
    Did it sound like I brought up wanting to see THE OTHER SIDE OF HER CHOREOGRAPHY just out of the blue??? - if I really didn't, thanks for the clarification.

Also if it sounded like I don't have the highest regard for her "skills" (be that "both" styles) but am just desiring seeing the "fun style" more from her to keep some excitement in FS going, there must be a misunderstanding in my post. I love Lori's work - Fun, silly, serious, etc.. Yes she is known for elegant (how often I can put two and two together ) but I love her other side as well and just want to see it more.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 07-04-2007 at 12:14 PM.

Custom Title
    Lori is either hit or miss for me. Either she does it great or its just plain bad. There's not too much in between. I actually liked Kimmie's LP last year. So, I hope she can improve on it. I would like to see her show off Kimmie's assets a little more. She has those wonderful long legs and arms but they aren't utilized much in her programs.
    Last edited by flying camel; 07-04-2007 at 07:42 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Is this the first time that Lori is working with Alissa?
    Yes. It's also the first time for Liang I think (FS?), Nagasu (SP & FS) and Zhang (FS). Like SeaniBu, I also really enjoyed Nichol's choreography for Taylor Firth's upbeat SP last year, but haven't yet heard if Firth has gone back to Nichol for this season's program(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka View Post
    As a great choreographer, she would never choreograph even similar routines of Kwan and Slutskaya - she would take into account strengths, weaknesses, and the character of both those ladies, and the resulting programs would look very different.
    that's my point. Lori is special.

flying camel Lori is either hit or miss or me. Either she does it great or its just plain bad. There's not too much in between. I actually liked Kimmie's LP last year. So, I hope she can improve on it. I would like to see her show off Kimmie's assets a litle more. She has those wondereful long legs and arms but they aren't utilized much in her programs
    That's not my point. The skater must take the choreography and make it his/her own. Imo, Kimmie has to learn to take choreography and show off those long legs with incredible stroking particularly crossovers, and let the arms flow from inside her heart. Use body language on basics. The choreographer can put the pattern out, it is up to the skater to make something of it.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes. It's also the first time for Liang I think (FS?), Nagasu (SP & FS) and Zhang (FS).
    I think Lori Nichols is great for Caroline Zhang. But how did you find out her LP will be done by Nchols?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast