Johnny Weir's New Journal Entry | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir's New Journal Entry

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks for letting us know that Johnny had a new journal entry.

Sounds like he is a little dissapointed (to put it nicely) about not getting permission to skate in Japan - and, as some of us suspected, the mandatory team meeting sounds like it was a lot more important for the youngsters...

It's good to hear him excited about his short program (can't wait to hear the music...); I wonder what will develop for the long program.

Having moved in the summer more times than I wish to remember, here's wishing Johnny a smooth move (I'm just going to assume he has hired help :) ), and best of luck with the transition.

feraina

Record Breaker
Wow, what a story with the Champs Camp and the COI Japan Tour. We were all just wondering in the Champs Camp thread what it was actually for, because it sounded like they were all gathered together to hear some stuff that they probably already know, or could be easily informed of via emails or documents.

I wonder what this all implies for John and Rena. Have they now lost their eligibility to compete for the USA? Will they switch to represent Japan? :rock: That'd be funny, not to mention that the Japanese federation and public would probably be thrilled to have a world-class pairs team. :agree:

John & Rena have been treated so dismally by USFSA in the last year or so. I distinctly get the feeling that they were getting sidelined even more than Johnny was. Didn't J&R's exhibition piece get left out of the Nationals exhibition on TV, as well as Marshall's Showcase in its televised form? In contrast, Johnny got both his solo piece and the trio with D&M shown. Either USFSA or the TV promoters decided that J&R are not worth showing anymore... I'm sure they felt like this random Champs Camp was just the last straw on the camel's back.

I missed out on five shows in Japan and a year's rent in Lyndhurt, N.J., to sit in Colorado for a grand total of 12 hours.
USFS looks foolish once again.

To me, any event that advances the popularity of figure skating anywhere and increases the visibility of U.S. skaters in particular -- that just has to serve the interests of USFS better than a meeting that seems to have little purpose than to prove that USFS is the boss and the athletes the servants.

Good for Inoue and Baldwin. If USFS "punishes" them by taking away their assignments, I hope they fight it in court.
The promoters of COI Japan had me film an official apology to the Japanese people and explain my reasoning for not performing in the last five shows. I spoke Japanese...
Johnny speaks Japanese? :rock:

waxel

Final Flight
USFS should schedule mandatory meetings 6-9 months in advance. I cannot blame Johnny for being vocal about missing all that money. He's right, USFS will probably (figuratively) "box his ears" for spilling the scoop, but I'm glad to hear about it.

I too wonder if this will affect I&B's eligibility? I doubt it, but you'd think there'd have to be some penalty.

momjudi

On the Ice
Does missing the meeting effect John and Rene's eligibility for international events only or for all events, national and international?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Does missing the meeting effect John and Rene's eligibility for international events only or for all events, national and international?

Maybe, they got some sort of special waiver -- blocking skaters from doing shows is one thing, but blocking them from seeing their parents is something different. It also might be a back-slap for them, not for Johnny -- the USFS admitting that "they need Weir", but they don't need I & B.

jennylovskt

Medalist
It's always a treat to read Johnny's journal. Looks like he is prepared and ready to work hard with his new coach. Good for him! I am looking forward to his new season.

I & B probably don't care about whether they will lose their eligibility or not, or they won't ignore the USFS's warning. No matter what the USFS does, it still is the boss.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I wonder whether Weir just took it for granted that he will get the ESCA because also I & B were scheduled for the Japanese tour, and left the arranging of the matter too late?

Last edited:
I knew that barbeque in Colorado Springs was strange and no one questioned it. everyone just wanted to look at the photos. oh well.

I know nothing about ESCAs but apparently they are important and to hold the barbeque at that time is also mysterious.

Best News!! Nothing in that journal speaks about outside amusements It's the first entry I've read where he is serious, and I am delighted to feel he cares about his skating. I was worried there for awhile.

Joe

emma

Record Breaker
I knew that barbeque in Colorado Springs was strange and no one questioned it. everyone just wanted to look at the photos. oh well.

Joe

Well, I did agree that it sounded like a mandatory waste of time for senior skaters, useful only to the up and comers - maybe I said it more cryptically, but I totally agreed that it sounded like bogus - like many (mandatory) voluntary meetings I have to attend. Difference for me is I don't loose on major opportunities to earn money when I "volunteer" to attend my meetings. I really think that the USFS should a) schedule its required things a year in advance and b) be very felixbile with elite skaters who, as MM pointed out, are generating interest in the sport every time they perform.