Russia awarded 2014 Winter Olympic Games | Golden Skate

Russia awarded 2014 Winter Olympic Games

krenseby

Final Flight
Hopefully the Russian federation can manage to get some of its skaters on the Olympic podium before that date...!

Watch for Piseev to set the goal of restoring Russia to its Olympic glory in time for the 2014 Olympics... If he does say that, I'll snicker and make fun of him!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I heard rumors that Oleg Protopopov said that he and Ludmila wanted to re-instate if Sochi got the games -- I hope, at least, they will be one of the people running with the torch!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I heard rumors that Oleg Protopopov said that he and Ludmila wanted to re-instate if Sochi got the games -- I hope, at least, they will be one of the people running with the torch!
Hmmm, when they wanted to re-instate when Worlds where in Switzerland, ISU denied them (IIRC)

Hi Ptchka - Tell us something about Sochi in late March. Will it be cold? Snow? How does one pack? Any particular history?

Joe

zephyrskates

On the Ice
well there goes my hope of yuna staying until 2014 if pyeongchang wins.

unbelievable though it seemed that pyeongchang was a lock in. but putin did some heavy lobbying of his own.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Hi Ptchka - Tell us something about Sochi in late March. Will it be cold? Snow? How does one pack? Any particular history?
No real history there - just a resort town; it was Stalin's favorite. I guess they do have snow in the mountains there - in the town, it shouldn't be much below mid-50's. If I recall, there is a nature reserve nearby that is a UNESCO site.

krenseby

Final Flight
No real history there - just a resort town; it was Stalin's favorite. I guess they do have snow in the mountains there - in the town, it shouldn't be much below mid-50's. If I recall, there is a nature reserve nearby that is a UNESCO site.

Well.. I think that the biggest draw that Sochi has is that it's a black sea resort... Much of Russia is landlocked but Sochi has a tropical like climate and draws a lot of tourists... I guess, one could say that it's Russia's version of Southern Florida- sunny, warm, and great beaches.... For Russia, that makes Sochi very special considering that a huge chunk of the country suffers a tundra climate and the rest has to deal with harsh winters... Americans may flee to the Carribean during the winter, but Russians to Sochi... I think that hosting the Olympics there is a way to draw international attention to it as a vacation spot. They probably hope that Sochi can attracts tons of international tourists after 2014, but I say puuuhlease... There's already way too many warm spots with beautiful beaches...

pista04

On the Ice
Eh

Im a strong olympic follower, but I was rooting for Pyeongchang. They used Yu-Na in alot of their video presentation, as I noticed while watching the conference live yesterday. I was thinking of starting a thread about it, but I didnt.