ESPN Preliminary Broadcast Schedule for 2007 GP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ESPN Preliminary Broadcast Schedule for 2007 GP

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, CCTV has had live streaming, but getting a decent feed is tricky.
Russia offers live streaming for some events for a nominal fee, and the feed was good and the quality much better than CCTV's.

zephyrskates

On the Ice
i'm just happy that we still have coverage of the GP series..
although i'll start crossing my fingers and praying to the patorn saint of skaters for GP coverage next year.

RD

Quote:
And where exactly does pay-per-view IceNetwork come in?

Their role is to show any skaters that get "chacked" by NBC or its website. As for the schedule, we don't know yet.

Where do they get the film for this? They are independent of NBC so they would have to pay for it. They could use their own camera man if NBC would let them. Their Regionals and Sectionals are what seem to be done by a single cameraman. I doubt NBC would want him to be hanging around when they are shooting the competitions.

Of course, none of this would apply to venues outside the USA. My conclusions are the GPs are dead for TV viewing unless someone makes a deal to purchase footage from a native cameraman. But even at that, where will it be shown?

Except for the sprinkling of international skaters at SAs (we'll see Miki - not Mao and YuNa) there will be none until the Worlds. Of course there is the dynamic competitions of Campbells and Marshalls which may feature two or three inter-national skaters, albeit meaningless in terms of the ISU.

MAY DAY

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Right, Ice network is part of the new USFS TV deal as WELL as NBC/nbcsports.com. What I said above was the claim made by USFS that ALL skaters at SA and Nats would get shown on one of those three platforms (NBC-TV, NBCsports.com, Icenetwork.com). They made that promise to the fans; now it's up to them to keep it. Nbc will only want a limited amount of skaters (the popular ones) so it will be up to icenetwork to pick up the slack. Sorta like the way NBC and ESPN share Wimbledon coverage; NBC airs weekend matches and the big finals and semifinals while ESPN2 picks up the slack by showing the rest of the event.

As for the 2008 GP (outside of SA) we'll see. I don't think they'll get shown (or if they do, we may get something like 1 hr per event).

Last edited:

waxel

Final Flight
I guess you'd rather see nothing then. Fine. I'm simply trying to flip the situation.

I'm not saying people should be HAPPY. I'm saying they should be THANKFUL. Big difference. You really can't please everyone though, no matter how good or bad your broadcasts are. People will find something (or someone) they don't like about the coverage and harp on it, maybe even complain to the network if it's bad enough. And that's not a bad thing- in fact, it's pretty instinctive to do so.

You completely mis-interpreted my response. I was AGREEING with you. Sheesh.

Right, Ice network is part of the new USFS TV deal as WELL as NBC/nbcsports.com. What I said above was the claim made by USFS that ALL skaters at SA and Nats would get shown on one of those three platforms (NBC-TV, NBCsports.com, Icenetwork.com). They made that promise to the fans; now it's up to them to keep it. Nbc will only want a limited amount of skaters (the popular ones) so it will be up to icenetwork to pick up the slack. Sorta like the way NBC and ESPN share Wimbledon coverage; NBC airs weekend matches and the big finals and semifinals while ESPN2 picks up the slack by showing the rest of the event.

As for the 2008 GP (outside of SA) we'll see. I don't think they'll get shown (or if they do, we may get something like 1 hr per event).
You missed my point. Where does the feed to Ice NetWork come from? Why would Ice NetWork have to pick up the slack? They do not have the resources for such an undertaking, duh. obvious. Your NBC and ESPN sharing the Tennis is not quite correct. NBC shows actual Tennis all week and weekends. ESPN shows just a 'roundup' of Tennis as would any sports magazine including the top events. NBC is all LIVE most of the time. ESPN is just highlights later in the evening which can also be picked up by CBS. NBC is the big cheese here.

Back to Skateland.... Did USFS actually 'promise' to show ALL of the Ladies competition on one of the three platforms? BTW, what exactly is NBCsports.com? Does it mean if I turn sign on to the internet, I will see all those Ladies not being shown on NBC/TV or will I read about it?

I hate to be so picky but I go back to my original post some time ago, and say this whole NBC deal is a wait and see and reserve my jumping for glee until then.

Joe

Last edited:

lisadotdash

Rinkside
Thanks Joe, for the info:

And I always look for that German competition in September or October, then the season begins for me :clap: and I'm a happy camper.

R.D.

Record Breaker
This reply is from my mobile, so I'm keeping it short.
waxel- sorry.
Joe- I don't know about the feed from ice network. I don't think anyone does. But, USFS assured us coverage of everybody.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I too have a feeling that there will be no coverage for the GP next year. Which will really stink. I think that in a few years all you will see is the National Championships and the Olympics.

A while ago weren't they trying to get a skating channel on television (kind of like how they have the golf channel and the tennis channel) but were unable to find enough support for it?

zephyrskates

On the Ice
I too have a feeling that there will be no coverage for the GP next year. Which will really stink. I think that in a few years all you will see is the National Championships and the Olympics.

A while ago weren't they trying to get a skating channel on television (kind of like how they have the golf channel and the tennis channel) but were unable to find enough support for it?

that's not a surprise since unlike tennis and golf skating has such a long off-season.

and the major events are compacted into 4 months..

and plus golf and tennis have 4 (or more for golf) grandslam tournaments and a lot of other tournaments in between.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wasn't the IOC (or someone like that) looking to build a TV network that televised only Olympic sports? If that works out, that could be a future home for skating. Coupled with additional online coverage, skating fans may actually get to see MORE skating and MORE extensive coverage of events than they have in the past. That's a good thing for hardcore fans, but for a casual fan like myself, I like to catch it when it's on TV.

Especially now that I have a high-def setup I'll at least be able to watch Nats and Olys coverage in HD. (I doubt, but somehow hope, that NBC also plans to televise SA and any other fluff events in HD).

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
that's not a surprise since unlike tennis and golf skating has such a long off-season.

and the major events are compacted into 4 months..

and plus golf and tennis have 4 (or more for golf) grandslam tournaments and a lot of other tournaments in between.

Ah, that's true. I never thought about that. Very true...what would such a network show during the, what, 7 or 8 months of offseason?? I don't think reruns of 1992 Nats would get a whole lot of viewers...only diehards. The only time such a network would be able to capitalize on its audience is in October, November, December, January and March, assuming it can gather TV rights to televise GP events, the GP final, and portions of US Nats and Worlds.

Instead of a Grand Prix, why not have a Grand Slam series, and have them scattered throughout the year. It could be open to all qualified skaters to pick any 3 (or more) host countries of their choice. A tailored lavender jacket to the winners and a Grand Slam event.

It's a steal from tennis, golf, and superbowl but it could work.

Joe

zephyrskates

On the Ice
Instead of a Grand Prix, why not have a Grand Slam series, and have them scattered throughout the year. It could be open to all qualified skaters to pick any 3 (or more) host countries of their choice. A tailored lavender jacket to the winners and a Grand Slam event.

It's a steal from tennis, golf, and superbowl but it could work.

Joe

nah. tennis and golf don't have world championships. :) the nature of competitive skating does not really make this plausible.

emma

Record Breaker
Ah, that's true. I never thought about that. Very true...what would such a network show during the, what, 7 or 8 months of offseason?? I don't think reruns of 1992 Nats would get a whole lot of viewers...only diehards. The only time such a network would be able to capitalize on its audience is in October, November, December, January and March, assuming it can gather TV rights to televise GP events, the GP final, and portions of US Nats and Worlds.

Maybe such a network would be seasonal - showing a lot of competitions in the winter for a variety of olympic sports (skating of all kinds, skiing, snowboarding, curling what have you), and a alot of competitions in the summer for a another whole variety of olmpic sports, and commentators could constantly be building up the quadrennial - who is moving up, who is moving down, how does it look building toward xx olympic year date. Then, in 'unfilled time' could show those, hopefully relatively few, events that didn't get coverage during the season. Just my 2 cents (from someone who knows zero about this topic).

zephyrskates

On the Ice
Maybe such a network would be seasonal - showing a lot of competitions in the winter for a variety of olympic sports (skating of all kinds, skiing, snowboarding, curling what have you), and a alot of competitions in the summer for a another whole variety of olmpic sports, and commentators could constantly be building up the quadrennial - who is moving up, who is moving down, how does it look building toward xx olympic year date. Then, in 'unfilled time' could show those, hopefully relatively few, events that didn't get coverage during the season. Just my 2 cents (from someone who knows zero about this topic).

maybe pair skating (along with other ice sports) with gymnastics. if you think about it both sports are the most watched sports during the olympics with gymnastics for summer games and figure skating for winter games. so there is a market out there and they are compatible in terms of season... both have world championships.. both have european champioships, for gymnastics there is the pan-american games while skating has 4ccc..

Check out the International Figure Skating Magazine article on all of this, especially the part about international competitions, then please go to the thread on 2009 Worlds and discuss further.