Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Preliminary Broadcast Schedule for 2007 GP

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by waxel View Post
    Right, Red Dog. We should be happy for what table scraps are thrown our way. Of course we can always dream for greater coverage in the future ...

I guess you'd rather see nothing then. Fine. I'm simply trying to flip the situation.

I'm not saying people should be HAPPY. I'm saying they should be THANKFUL. Big difference. You really can't please everyone though, no matter how good or bad your broadcasts are. People will find something (or someone) they don't like about the coverage and harp on it, maybe even complain to the network if it's bad enough. And that's not a bad thing- in fact, it's pretty instinctive to do so.
    Last edited by R.D.; 07-05-2007 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    Also, ESPN coverage stays three hours with the exception of Skate Canada, which is 2.5 hrs. note that it says 4-7pm ET. But, then again, it may or may not be finalized, so it's subject to change, of course. For those complaining about the time and commercials, I say ENJOY IT NOW because it may be the last time you get to see it. As delayed and lukewarm as it might be, it's still something.
    I realized that after I clicked submit. So ESPN comes up short only by 1/2 hour for their usual coverage for all except SC. I think it will be the last time ESPN will be doing it, and I don't believe NBC will be interested in it because it doesn't come into their plans for the Olys.

RD. I don't follow your first paragraph. ESPN will cover the 2008 Worlds - ok. Then:

Nor do we know the schedule for the NBC portion of the coverage (but all we would need to know are times;

Is NBC also covering the Worlds or is that for the 2008 GPs which I don't believe either of them will cover (except for NBC on Skate America). Times to follow after reviewing how well 2007 SA worked out.

As for NATS, I think NBC will go full throttle with that because it is in line with perking up the Nilson ratings for the Olys. But the problem is the Grand Prix events. Who will show them?

And where exactly does pay-per-view IceNetwork come in?

Joe

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post

RD. I don't follow your first paragraph. ESPN will cover the 2008 Worlds - ok. Then:

Nor do we know the schedule for the NBC portion of the coverage (but all we would need to know are times;

Is NBC also covering the Worlds[?]
    No they are not. For this season, NBC is covering ONLY SA and Nats; events run by USFS.

ESPN has coverage of all the other events, including Worlds, for this year. Next year it's anyone's guess as to what will happen with those events. I read on FSU about a situation where ISU was trying to pressure Canadian network CTV to take a multi-year package of events, including three events staged as test events for the Olympics, but they couldn't afford it so Cinquanta threatened to move those three events from Canada. He's likely to pull the same stunt now with US networks now that ESPN's contract is coming up. I think he should take a hard look at how USFS handled their situation and come up with something similar.

As for NATS, I think NBC will go full throttle with that because it is in line with perking up the Nilson[sic] ratings for the Olys.
    Me too, but I think only in 2010.

But the problem is the Grand Prix events. Who will show them?
    Good Q. No-one knows. The answer could very well be NOBODY.

I think it will be the last time ESPN will be [televising international skating], and I don't believe NBC will be interested in it because it doesn't come into their plans for the Olys.
    I agree, and here's what I said on FSU in response to a poster who posed a similar statement:

but does [NBC] want all that skating? It seems that they aren't willing to pay much for even major sports, so I doubt they'd see much value in taking on ESPN's package (with a $5 mil. rights fee). I think they would only want LA Worlds, but after reading about the CTV situation, I'm not sure the ISU would agree to something like a single-event contract or even a single-year contract. They would likely want a multi-year contract with multiple events attached to it, in which case I'm not sure any American network (broadcast or cable) wants to take on. Even ESPN reportedly regretted their decision to take the package just a year after they signed it.

I think we just need to face reality here: I don't think anyone is interested in either televising competitive skating or sponsoring it unless it's a) the Olympics or b) the national championships.

Their role is to show any skaters that get "chacked" by NBC or its website. As for the schedule, we don't know yet.
    Last edited by R.D.; 07-05-2007 at 06:49 PM.

Custom Title
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Japan, China and/or Russia make a deal with the ISU where they offer live streaming of the GP events, to be paid for by the viewers.

Down With It
    ^ don't they already have such coverage? I thought I heard of CCTV5 or something like that offering live streaming coverage of COC.

Custom Title
    Yes, CCTV has had live streaming, but getting a decent feed is tricky.
    Russia offers live streaming for some events for a nominal fee, and the feed was good and the quality much better than CCTV's.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Russia offers live streaming
    "Russia" what exactly - yes I am aware of the country but who and what from Russia are hosting better streaming - I'm interested???

I'll try defying gravity, you can't pull me down zephyrskates's Avatar
    i'm just happy that we still have coverage of the GP series..
    although i'll start crossing my fingers and praying to the patorn saint of skaters for GP coverage next year.

RD

Quote:

Their role is to show any skaters that get "chacked" by NBC or its website. As for the schedule, we don't know yet.
    Where do they get the film for this? They are independent of NBC so they would have to pay for it. They could use their own camera man if NBC would let them. Their Regionals and Sectionals are what seem to be done by a single cameraman. I doubt NBC would want him to be hanging around when they are shooting the competitions.

Of course, none of this would apply to venues outside the USA. My conclusions are the GPs are dead for TV viewing unless someone makes a deal to purchase footage from a native cameraman. But even at that, where will it be shown?

Except for the sprinkling of international skaters at SAs (we'll see Miki - not Mao and YuNa) there will be none until the Worlds. Of course there is the dynamic competitions of Campbells and Marshalls which may feature two or three inter-national skaters, albeit meaningless in terms of the ISU.

MAY DAY

Joe

Down With It
    Right, Ice network is part of the new USFS TV deal as WELL as NBC/nbcsports.com. What I said above was the claim made by USFS that ALL skaters at SA and Nats would get shown on one of those three platforms (NBC-TV, NBCsports.com, Icenetwork.com). They made that promise to the fans; now it's up to them to keep it. Nbc will only want a limited amount of skaters (the popular ones) so it will be up to icenetwork to pick up the slack. Sorta like the way NBC and ESPN share Wimbledon coverage; NBC airs weekend matches and the big finals and semifinals while ESPN2 picks up the slack by showing the rest of the event.

As for the 2008 GP (outside of SA) we'll see. I don't think they'll get shown (or if they do, we may get something like 1 hr per event).
    Last edited by R.D.; 07-06-2007 at 07:22 AM.

Custom Title
    I guess you'd rather see nothing then. Fine. I'm simply trying to flip the situation.

I'm not saying people should be HAPPY. I'm saying they should be THANKFUL. Big difference. You really can't please everyone though, no matter how good or bad your broadcasts are. People will find something (or someone) they don't like about the coverage and harp on it, maybe even complain to the network if it's bad enough. And that's not a bad thing- in fact, it's pretty instinctive to do so.
    You completely mis-interpreted my response. I was AGREEING with you. Sheesh.

Right, Ice network is part of the new USFS TV deal as WELL as NBC/nbcsports.com. What I said above was the claim made by USFS that ALL skaters at SA and Nats would get shown on one of those three platforms (NBC-TV, NBCsports.com, Icenetwork.com). They made that promise to the fans; now it's up to them to keep it. Nbc will only want a limited amount of skaters (the popular ones) so it will be up to icenetwork to pick up the slack. Sorta like the way NBC and ESPN share Wimbledon coverage; NBC airs weekend matches and the big finals and semifinals while ESPN2 picks up the slack by showing the rest of the event.

As for the 2008 GP (outside of SA) we'll see. I don't think they'll get shown (or if they do, we may get something like 1 hr per event).
    You missed my point. Where does the feed to Ice NetWork come from? Why would Ice NetWork have to pick up the slack? They do not have the resources for such an undertaking, duh. obvious. Your NBC and ESPN sharing the Tennis is not quite correct. NBC shows actual Tennis all week and weekends. ESPN shows just a 'roundup' of Tennis as would any sports magazine including the top events. NBC is all LIVE most of the time. ESPN is just highlights later in the evening which can also be picked up by CBS. NBC is the big cheese here.

Back to Skateland.... Did USFS actually 'promise' to show ALL of the Ladies competition on one of the three platforms? BTW, what exactly is NBCsports.com? Does it mean if I turn sign on to the internet, I will see all those Ladies not being shown on NBC/TV or will I read about it?

I hate to be so picky but I go back to my original post some time ago, and say this whole NBC deal is a wait and see and reserve my jumping for glee until then.

Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 07-06-2007 at 10:11 AM.

Medalist
    Thanks Joe, for the info:

And I always look for that German competition in September or October, then the season begins for me and I'm a happy camper.

Down With It
    This reply is from my mobile, so I'm keeping it short.
    waxel- sorry.
    Joe- I don't know about the feed from ice network. I don't think anyone does. But, USFS assured us coverage of everybody.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    I too have a feeling that there will be no coverage for the GP next year. Which will really stink. I think that in a few years all you will see is the National Championships and the Olympics.

A while ago weren't they trying to get a skating channel on television (kind of like how they have the golf channel and the tennis channel) but were unable to find enough support for it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast