Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: ESPN Preliminary Broadcast Schedule for 2007 GP

I'll try defying gravity, you can't pull me down zephyrskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    I too have a feeling that there will be no coverage for the GP next year. Which will really stink. I think that in a few years all you will see is the National Championships and the Olympics.

A while ago weren't they trying to get a skating channel on television (kind of like how they have the golf channel and the tennis channel) but were unable to find enough support for it?
    that's not a surprise since unlike tennis and golf skating has such a long off-season.

and the major events are compacted into 4 months..

and plus golf and tennis have 4 (or more for golf) grandslam tournaments and a lot of other tournaments in between.

Down With It
    Wasn't the IOC (or someone like that) looking to build a TV network that televised only Olympic sports? If that works out, that could be a future home for skating. Coupled with additional online coverage, skating fans may actually get to see MORE skating and MORE extensive coverage of events than they have in the past. That's a good thing for hardcore fans, but for a casual fan like myself, I like to catch it when it's on TV.

Especially now that I have a high-def setup I'll at least be able to watch Nats and Olys coverage in HD. (I doubt, but somehow hope, that NBC also plans to televise SA and any other fluff events in HD).
    Last edited by R.D.; 07-06-2007 at 02:46 PM.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyrskates View Post
    that's not a surprise since unlike tennis and golf skating has such a long off-season.

and the major events are compacted into 4 months..

and plus golf and tennis have 4 (or more for golf) grandslam tournaments and a lot of other tournaments in between.
    Ah, that's true. I never thought about that. Very true...what would such a network show during the, what, 7 or 8 months of offseason?? I don't think reruns of 1992 Nats would get a whole lot of viewers...only diehards. The only time such a network would be able to capitalize on its audience is in October, November, December, January and March, assuming it can gather TV rights to televise GP events, the GP final, and portions of US Nats and Worlds.

Instead of a Grand Prix, why not have a Grand Slam series, and have them scattered throughout the year. It could be open to all qualified skaters to pick any 3 (or more) host countries of their choice. A tailored lavender jacket to the winners and a Grand Slam event.

It's a steal from tennis, golf, and superbowl but it could work.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Instead of a Grand Prix, why not have a Grand Slam series, and have them scattered throughout the year. It could be open to all qualified skaters to pick any 3 (or more) host countries of their choice. A tailored lavender jacket to the winners and a Grand Slam event.

It's a steal from tennis, golf, and superbowl but it could work.

Joe
    nah. tennis and golf don't have world championships. the nature of competitive skating does not really make this plausible.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    Ah, that's true. I never thought about that. Very true...what would such a network show during the, what, 7 or 8 months of offseason?? I don't think reruns of 1992 Nats would get a whole lot of viewers...only diehards. The only time such a network would be able to capitalize on its audience is in October, November, December, January and March, assuming it can gather TV rights to televise GP events, the GP final, and portions of US Nats and Worlds.
    Maybe such a network would be seasonal - showing a lot of competitions in the winter for a variety of olympic sports (skating of all kinds, skiing, snowboarding, curling what have you), and a alot of competitions in the summer for a another whole variety of olmpic sports, and commentators could constantly be building up the quadrennial - who is moving up, who is moving down, how does it look building toward xx olympic year date. Then, in 'unfilled time' could show those, hopefully relatively few, events that didn't get coverage during the season. Just my 2 cents (from someone who knows zero about this topic).

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrskates View Post
    nah. tennis and golf don't have world championships. the nature of competitive skating does not really make this plausible.
    They don't need a catch-all title like Worlds. The players are all ready world wide.

Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    Maybe such a network would be seasonal - showing a lot of competitions in the winter for a variety of olympic sports (skating of all kinds, skiing, snowboarding, curling what have you), and a alot of competitions in the summer for a another whole variety of olmpic sports, and commentators could constantly be building up the quadrennial - who is moving up, who is moving down, how does it look building toward xx olympic year date. Then, in 'unfilled time' could show those, hopefully relatively few, events that didn't get coverage during the season. Just my 2 cents (from someone who knows zero about this topic).
    maybe pair skating (along with other ice sports) with gymnastics. if you think about it both sports are the most watched sports during the olympics with gymnastics for summer games and figure skating for winter games. so there is a market out there and they are compatible in terms of season... both have world championships.. both have european champioships, for gymnastics there is the pan-american games while skating has 4ccc..

Check out the International Figure Skating Magazine article on all of this, especially the part about international competitions, then please go to the thread on 2009 Worlds and discuss further.

Custom Title
    http://www.azcentral.com/sports/azet...issors-CR.html

I can see why figure skating programming time could be limited in the future, though maybe some behind-the-scenes Rock Paper Scissors between Kim & Asada could boost coverage.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by just wondering View Post
    http://www.azcentral.com/sports/azet...issors-CR.html

I can see why figure skating programming time could be limited in the future, though maybe some behind-the-scenes Rock Paper Scissors between Kim & Asada could boost coverage.

JW
    It'll play well in Asia but I am not sure about Peoria.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3