Blackberry Pie recipe? | Golden Skate

Blackberry Pie recipe?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone have a good blackberry pie recipe for fresh berries?

I tried this one (followed it to a T) and it came out "bitter". I even reheated the filling and added another half cup of sugar.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I recommend Xanthan gum powder and/or little bit of salt and/or non dairy creamer and/or lemon juice or zest (accepts bitter in the pallet) to counter act bitterness. I have heard of fruit cocktail being blended into the compote as it is coming to it's first boil. Basically Blackberries make it tuff. It is kind of expected by me anyway, when eating something blackberry that it is at least a touch bitter. In beer terms I would closely relate it to a "hoppy flavor." maybe just add "some" grapes and pares.

My thought in adding more sugar is like Sour Patch kids candy. Both the flavors will be there if just adding more sugar. Sweet and bitter will still both be present if just adding sweetness, by the time it is sweet enough to mask or adjust for the bitter, it will be to sweet. IMO

My 2 cents, but maybe Grganny Dee or Piel have some tech.

Last edited:
Try Stevia - a natural sugar substitute that isn't a chemical. It's very sweet so a little goes a long way.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I've never made blackberry pie! I don't want to mess with all the seeds. :rofl:
I have some good cookbooks so might see what they say.
I had a neighbor lady that bought blackberry jelly so her kids wouldn't eat so much. :rofl:

Blue Bead

Medalist
It may not be the fault of the recipe at all but, rather, the berries. They should be fully ripened to make a tasty pie. This means that they should have been left on the bush long enough to attain the full level of ripeness before picking. If they taste the least bit bitter when they are fresh, there isn't a whole lot you can do to counter that taste when they are baked, at least in my experience of over 40 years making pies, LOL, and I've tried all the sweetners imaginable.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I would guess that by the time they are that ripe the birds would have consumed most of them.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I might not have the personal experience with pie making, but have listened to many mentors who have and they were taught...yadda yadda. And on the simple factors of cooking (not specific to any one dish), I have always learned that "trying to hide or cover or mask a flavor" is never the way to go. Make the flavor taste better. Don't hide it or you will wind up with another overpowering flavor.

I personally feel that is a REALLY important factor in cooking and if I did a bad job in explaining attempting to make sure it is at the very least heard - your fault if you don't heed. :laugh:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
There are also many recipes that would involve mashing and straining the berries - if the seeds are an issue, but this is a long process for the seeds clog the screen / strainer.

dutchherder

Final Flight
Blackberry pie-- can't help you. But I've got a recipe for blueberry crumble that'll knock your socks off! :agree:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks all!

Just read somewhere that berries tend to turn bitter when cooked. I'll try cooking half and somehow add the other half later.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Ok, I am taking a few minutes. Have been too busy, looking at houses and having the realtor look at mine. Of course, that meant I had to clean it!

Taken from the Culinary Arts Institure cook book I received as a wedding present in 1948.

"Blackberries, Dewberries, Loganberries & Raspberries:
Should have a bright, clean, fresh plump appearance and solid full color. Overripe berries are dull in color, soft, leaky. Leaky berries stain inside of container. Adhering caps indicate unripe fruit.

Blackberry Pie

3 cups fresh blackberries
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp salt
1 recipe plain pastry
1 tbsp butter

Combine berries, sugar, flour, lemon juice and salt. Line piepan with pastry, add filling, dot with butter and cover with top crust. Bake in very hot oven (450 degrees) 10 minutes; reduce temperature to moderate (350 degrees) and bake 25 to 30 minutes longer. Makes 1 9" Pie."

Taken from Betty Crocker's cookbook, 1961.

"Fresh Berry Pie

(Blackberry, Blueberry, Raspberry, Strawberry, Loganberry or Boysenberry)
with thick juice bubbling through the crust.

Select ripe, juicy berries--blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, loganberries or boysenberries, etc. Berries picked at the height of the season are more flavorful, require less sugar and make the most delicious pies.

Wash berries, drain well. Then pick them over. remove stems and hulls. Halve large strawberries.

Use the smaller or larger amount of sugar according to your taste and the sweetness of the fruit. Very tart fruit may require even more sugar (up to 1 1/2 cups for 1 qt.). Make Pastry for Two-crust of desired size. Line pie pan.

For 9" Pie

1 to 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
4 cups fresh berries
1 1/2 tbsp. butter

For 8" Pie

2/3 to 1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3 cups fresh berries
1 tbsp. butter

Heat oven to 425 degrees (hot). Mix sugar flour and cinnamon. Mix lightly through berries. Pour into pastry-lined ppie pan. Dot with butter. Cover with top crust which has slits cut in it. Seal and flute. Cover edge with 1 1/2 " strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning. Bake 35 to 45 min., or until crust in nicely browned and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust. Serve slightly warm, not hot."

Hope these work. I haven't used these recipes. I have a different strawberry pie recipe. I think I posted it here before. It is really good. I usually make real whipped cream but you can use Cool Whip. I think the vanilla flavored one is best.
I also have really good recipes for raisin and caramel pies. And probably many others. Love the chocolate sheet cake recipe I use.
If anyone wants any other recipes, let me know. I hope I can answer sooner next time. Just remember right now I am super busy and it takes me a long time to get anything done.

:love::love::love::love::love:

Pookie

Final Flight
If they are a thornless variety of blackberries, it is really hard to sweeten them and they don't have a lot of flavor.

Alsace

On the Ice
Blackberry pie-- can't help you. But I've got a recipe for blueberry crumble that'll knock your socks off! :agree:

I'm interested! I'm interested! My husband sometimes gets tired of all the chocolate I feed him. (For the record, there is orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream in our freezer and there is NO chocolate! :) )

dutchherder

Final Flight
The best thing about the blueberry crumble recipe: no turning on the oven! :clap:

Blueberry Crumble

3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
3 tablespoons sugar (I like to use Sugar in the Raw)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/3 cup old fashioned oats (I've used quick oats before too-- they work)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons cold butter
(I like to add some wheat germ to the crumble part, too. It makes one feel better about the ice cream. :biggrin:)
Vanilla ice cream

In a greased 9-in. microwave-safe pie plate, combine the blueberries, sugar, and cornstarch. Cover and microwave on high for 7-8 minutes or until thickened, stirring twice.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, walnuts and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over blueberry mixture. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2-3 minutes or until butter is melted. Serve warm, with ice cream.